Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkeys, Open Minds, & Oscar Hosts.

I wanted to let you know that Snugpug checked in with us. You can read her comment in the comment section here:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2010/11/tunnels-trunks-heartless-thieves.html

Her husband had quite a scare and she has been up to her ears in hospital waiting time. Her husband is home now and we wish him the best.

Turkey is big this time of year and turkeys in the news have big all year. Here are the biggest turkeys this year according to AOL news.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/aol-news-2010-news-turkeys/19711562?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C186338

I would put the teen that the tried to blow up downtown Portland on the list. Anyone you want to add to the list? Anyone that is already on the list that shouldn't be?

Next up is an article I would classify as the master of the obvious:

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/mind-soul/2010-11-23-goodtraits23_ST_N.htm

Of course being open minded and happy you live longer. Or do you agree?

I'm closing with the article that discloses who will host the Oscar telecast next February. I found it to be a complete surprise. Not in the Steve Martin or Ellen DeGeneres mold:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101129/ap_en_ce/us_oscars_hosts

Are you surprised by the choices?

That is it for the day. Off to do some mailings and then tonight Mom & I are taking brother-in-law out for dinner for his birthday. Comments are always appreciated.

WHO AM I

I was born ub 1931 and started a career as a paleoecologist, a discipline that studies past ecologies of the Earth by geological evidence in fossils. Paleoecologists had been utilizing correction factors between 4:1 and 35:1. I threw a monkey wrench in these calculations by suggesting correction factors of as much as 24,000:1. After growing up I attended Radcliffe College, where I studied floral physiology and ecology as well as stratigraphic pollen deposits from the late Quaternary period. I earned my B.A. degree in biology. I won a Fulbright Fellowship from 1953 through 1954 to research of pollen from ancient plants at the University of Copenhagen. When I returned I married and then fourteen years later divorced. I used my Europe findings to earn my Ph.D. in biology from Harvard University. Harvard retained me as a National Science Foundation postdoctoral fellow for two years and then I transferred this fellowship to the California Institute of Technology. I eventually went to Yale for a year to study the correlation between vegetation composition and pollen sedimentation in lakes. I would eventually become a professor of biology at Yale. I am now Regents’ Professor Emeritus in the Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior at a Midwestern college. Throughout my career I published more than 65 papers, and served as president of the American Quaternary Association and of the Ecological Society of America. I have received numerous honors, including the Ecological Society of America’s Eminent Ecologist Award as well as the 1993 Nevada Medal. If you don't know who I am by now did you wonder what I had to say ON THE THEORY OF POLLEN ANALYSIS?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, let's stick Sarah Palin on the list, just on general principles.

And you're sure right about that article being a restatement of the obvious. Only why does one guy single out Baby Boomers as needing to be open-minded as they age? Are Boomers different from the rest of us? As to whether being open-minded and happy makes you live longer, well, I have no idea. My mom is almost 105 and nobody ever accused her of being open-minded. She never seemed all that happy to me, either. Go figure.

Oscar hosts? Franco and Hathaway? Odd choice, but who cares? We only watch for the dresses and the odd gaffe anyway.

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the update on Snugpug. Snug, lots of prayers and good thoughts headed your way, both for your husbands recovery and for you and taking care of yourself. (Hugs)

Turkeys - Umm, there was another thing about Alvin Greene. Seems he was under indictment for either burglary or armed robbery at the time he was campaigning. Only in SC.

Yes, the article on health was rather a statement of the obvious. Research has long shown that a positive outlook, active interests and activity help many folks enjoy their later years more. I look around at the folks in FUlir and in line dance and at the pool, as perfect examples, many of them in their late seventies and eighties. Then again, I've know some elderly curmudgeons who were both very close-minded and grumpy and cranky, so who knows?

Oscars - since I don't neither either of the co-hosts, can't offer an opinion.

And now, I'm off to change and go out with Himself to celebrate our 24th anniversary (which only shows those who said we'd never last two years, because we were so different, didn't have a clue) (BG)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Since you put Sarah in there I will put the voters on DWTS that kept Bristol on long after better dancers were eliminated.

I completely agree with you are singling out baby boomers needing to be open minded, I think everyone does. Wow at 105 I wonder now if your mom isn't the oldest woman living.

I actually watch the Oscars not only for the dresses but to see who wins!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Hope the celebration was a great one.

Snug posted again in the same thread.

I had to admit I didn't know who Greene was until I read the article.

I think part of the problem of the elderly curmudgeons is people stay away from them and the loss of human contact makes them even older.

Twenty-four years is amazing an next year will be the 25th, I hope something really special is on the agenda to celebrate the silver anniversary!

Bill