Monday, November 8, 2010

Random Thoughts

We are starting out the week with random thoughts. It really is more random articles than random thoughts but today I am just having trouble getting organized so I decided to share the first three things that came to my in box.

First up is an article about art that was thought to be destroyed by the Nazis during World War II:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101108/ap_en_ot/eu_germany_degenerate_art;_ylt=Aovi_f_dTQ0M4fyF.RYjkxqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFrbHV2bmdoBHBvcwMxNjEEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9lbnRlcnRhaW5tZW50BHNsawNhcnRiZWxpZXZlZGQ-

Next we are going to help you find a place to rent for one dollar a week:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101104/od_nm/us_australia_town

Finally we are going to share the story of a young student that created music using DNA in a virus:

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/grad-student-alexandra-pajak-composes-sounds-of-hiv-songs-using-dna-of-aids-virus/19701375

Your comments are appreciated and since I am disorganized your comments can be too.


WHO AM I?

I was born in 1849 and was a descendant of Daniel Boone and a sister of a U.S. Senator. At age 15, I eloped with a farmer and we immediately began having children. Since he had difficulty supporting our family we moved several times to places including Portland, Oregon and San Jose, California. When my husband deserted me and our five children, I began studying law in the office of a local judge. After being denied admission to law school because of my gender I sued and argued my own case. I won admission. Even though I passed the bar exam California allowed only white males to become members of the bar. I then authored a state bill which replaced "white male" with "person." I kept extensive career scrapbooks, wrote many letters and was in the process of writing my autobiography when I died. I have a building in downtown Los Angeles named after me. Not satisfied with becoming an attorney I became a leader in the woman’s voting rights movement. During a career that spanned 56 years I almost single-handedly pushed a great deal of progressive legislation for women’s rights in the voting and legal fields. At the Chicago World’s Fair , during a "congress" of the Board of Lady Managers I introduced my idea of the public defender, a then-radical concept of providing assistance to indigent criminal defendants. My many trail-blazing accomplishments include becoming the first female clerk for the State Judiciary Committee; the first woman appointed to the State Board of Corrections; the first female licensed Notary Public; the first woman named director of a major bank; and when I was eighty-one I became the first woman to run for Governor of California. I was the first woman to be admitted to the California bar and the first female deputy district attorney in the United States. In my spare time I raised five children as a single mother.I authored the following quote: "Everything in retrospect seems weird, phantasmal, and unreal. I peer back across the misty years into that era of prejudice and limitation, when a woman lawyer was a joke ... but the story of my triumphs will eventually disclose that though the battle has been long and hard-fought it was worth while." WHO AM I?

10 comments:

Pat said...

I've seen several exhibits of art the Nazis considered "degenerate", and it's pretty interesting stuff, hardly anything out of the mainstream today, as far as I've seen.

I'd love to rent a little farmhouse in Australia for $1 a week. For maybe two weeks if somebody else did the fix-up first.

I didn't listen to the DNA music, no time to download and do all the stuff required. But it's certainly an interesting concept.

I'm disorganized today, too, and have to run off to a book club meeting soon, so you're not alone in disorganization.

Lady DR said...

I had a somewhat disorganized day, as well. Maybe something is in retrograde (wry s).

Like Pat, I've not found anything offensive or untoward in the artwork that's been uncovered and I'm delighted they continue to find more of it, as time goes on.

Geez, if I showed the article about houses in Australia for a buck a week, Himself would be first in line. I suspect they're looking for relatively young families and those with some sort of expertise, talent or ideas on how to "grow" the town. Be interesting to know how this develops.

Interesting the gal was able to connect the DNA to sounds, although music is numbers. I'd never have thought about it. I'm glad she's getting positive feedback.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think the Nazis got ready of anything made by Jews, Gypsies, or blacks. It wasn't the art it was the artists.

I wonder if we all should meet in Australia and spend the rest of our lifes there for a buck a week.

I was more interested in the process than the actual music, I thought the creativity the studen showed was absolutely amazing.

Have fun at the book club and I am glad I am not the only disorganized person today!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Amazing that all of us are disorganized today!

Like you I am deighted they find more art that wais supposed to have been destroyed. It is history and it should be kept.

Himself has computer expertise. You have editorial expertise. Pat can do the music. I have the CPA. Three bucks a week and we could really help their community!

I'm also glad she is getting positive feedback on the DNA music.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Three bucks a week? Heck, if they accept families without kids and they're talking farmhouses, the four of us could likely share a house! Maybe we ought to check the website for qualifications (g). I mean, Himself can do plumbing and electrical and other repairs, I used to be decent with a power drill and all of us can scour and paint, right? Hmmm... a lovely little homestead in the bush. Meantime, we rent out our houses here in the states for interim income.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You have me convinced and I am betting the health care is better or at least cheaper there.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Well, see, we definitely need to check the website. Whaddaya think, Pat? Anyone else? Heck, we could start our own commune (g)

William J. said...

Hi DR

If we can get Dona, Ellen, Bev, Kim, Mary, Mary Z. MJ, Belva, Dixie, Sian, and anyone that has posted here to come along we can start our damn city!

Bill

dona said...

Ok...I'm in!

William J. said...

Yea Dona is in!