Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Update & A News Quiz

It looks like we have a mixed bag here, some of us are night folks and some of us are morning folks.

Last week there was one night at Mom's, a family dinner out, grocery shopping, and I took Mom to the movies on Veterans Day. We went to see MORNING GLORY. Not a bad movie but certainly not a must see. I was disappointed that the theater only had one person taking tickets and one person in the concession stand. I thought that was the definition of incredible stupidity. The Tigard Theater management obviously couldn't understand that on holidays when kids aren't in school and parents aren't at work they often go to movies. The line to get the tickets was very long, then the printer jammed making the line even longer. When it is cold and you have an elderly woman in a wheelchair that isn't the most pleasant thing in the world. The line at the concession stand was to long to even consider getting snacks before or even during the movie. I hope Tigard Theater management get their act together. Tigard theater really is the best theater in the area for the handicapped because they don't have stadium seating. Mom can sit in the back. When theaters have stadium seating they place the handicap seats in front and anyone that has had cataract surgery really can't endure the screen that close. My rant for the week is finished.

Next week will be a mixed bag. Today I bailed out on breakfast with the guys because I have a work assignment that I want to finish. Tonight is dinner out with the family. Tomorrow I am sending books to various charities. They are new books and the charities will be breast cancer and abused women support groups. I will also donate some books to libraries in retirement communities. I really like doing things like that, it makes me feel good. I'm also going to try to fit in the movie FAIR GAME tomorrow. Tuesday and Wednesday is at Mom's. Thursday morning I will also be at Mom's and then weather permitting will have lunch with a former business associate. The weather people are predicting snow next Thursday or Sunday. Friday and Saturday will be me days. If all the work assignments are done and the house is clean I am going to do some serious writing.

The entertainment update. On The Apprentice the men dominated team did a better job of selling perfume than the women dominated team and Poppy was eliminated. On The Amazing Race the really nice father-son team was eliminated. I was really sorry to see them go. On Dancing With The Stars for the third week in a row a better dancer was eliminated in favor of Bristol. This week it was former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner.

The blog is now yours. Let me know what went on with you last week and what is going on with you the coming week! Feel free to post anything you damn well please.

PS

For those of you that like quizzes her is the AOL news quiz for last week. You can scroll down for the answers. I got a perfect score, what did you get?

What network is Conan O'Brian's new show on?

Why was Keith Olberman suspended by suspended by MSNBC?

Thinning Ozone layers are causing sunburn in a sea animal do you know which one?

A Carnival Cruise Ship lost power do you know what caused the power outage?

Which president has a memoir out and appeared last week on various TV shows including Oprah?

President Obama visited a country where he lived for over ten years of his life, which country is that?



















TBS

Giving donations to Democratic Candidates

Whale

Fire

George W. Bush

Indonesia

8 comments:

dona said...

Oh!Oh! I'm first! Been a while for that. Bill, It Looks like your past week was busy and this week will be the same as I am sure before Friday comes, something will come up to mess up your me time. But hopefully not as we all need some me time, and you need to get some serious writing done. :) And I think you can rant any time you like, this is your blog!

The past week for me was a long one as I was busy most all week sewing/crafting to help daughter in law with her first craft show. I don't really do crafts, so it was a stressful week for me. But I got done what I intended and she had a nice show. She was happy and that's what counted, in my world. ;)

I was surprised at the Apprentice in the beginning when Anand was fired. And was sad on the Amazing Race with the father/son team was eliminated.

Nice quiz, but silly me kept scrolling down and saw the answers before I actually read the questions. So no score for me.

Lady DR said...

Okay, first I got one answer on the quiz and that was only because you featured the article about Bush earlier in the week.

I think a friendly letter to the theater, telling them how they're the best for the handicapped, but you were disappointed in the service might be in order. They may be unaware of the issues.

Good job on donating the books. I do that periodically and the time is nigh to do some sorting. Our library doesn't accept donations of hardbacks, unless they're to go in the literacy sale, although they will shelve paperbacks. Go figure. Senior Action has its own library, where I take the hardbacks. I hadn't thought about retirement communities. Duh!

Busy week, due to medical. Saw ortho Monday, internist Tuesday, MRIs Friday. Internist says I'm in great shape (outside of ortho issue) and good to go on all other fronts. Ironically, the hip improved, after seeing the ortho - I think the word "surgery" scared it into starting to heal (G). Did the pool and LD and show rehearsal and time on the ms. The weekend was busy, since I spent some time working, in addition to bills, paperwork, straightening out the Verizon account, domestics and washing all the linens, after Skeeter got sick on the bed last night. I also - TA DA - spent some time in the yard yesterday and today, for the first time in a year, raking leaves and hauling them to the entry garden to cover everything and hope they partially compost over the winter. We've had a week of Indian Summer and it was great to be outdoors in a turtleneck and bibs and physically active. I may have overdone today (okay, I did overdo today), but hopefully the hip will settle down and an hour in the therapy pool tomorrow will "fix" the kinks in the hip and leg. Next week is dinner Monday night at Golden Corral (Himself is a vet and if Mikey can't go with him, I will), dress rehearsal for the Christmas show on the 30th and see the ortho for MRI reports. Other than that, it looks like standard routine.

Pat said...

Your weeks all seem quite busy to me, Bill (you, too, DR). I'll join Dona in hoping you get some me time.

I actually watched APPRENTICE this time. Wasn't surprised when Anand got fired. First he cheated, then tried (badly) to lie about it. Good riddance. The losing team's display was the epitome of kitsch and gaudiness. When I saw the feather boas, I was sure they'd lose. Not that I know anything about Kim Kardashian, but she had more taste than they gave her credit for.

I missed two on the test, the Conan question and the whale one. Sunburned whales are a new one on me!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I went to your blog and the craft work you did was absolutely beautiful, it was amazing. I would have bought it. No wonder your daughter in law was happy.

I think simply by cheating Anand was toast. He should have fessed up but the lying just put the nail in the coffin.

I will give you 100 per cent on the quiz since it was open book!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

One reason I did so well on the quiz is the various sources I go to every day to find things for the blog, it keeps me informed.

The advise of a friendly letter to the theater is good. Either that are to the home office. I'm not sure which would do more good.

I figured that the various charities can either give the patients the books or sell them to raise money.

I am thrilled that you are in great shape! I'm also thrilled that you hip has improved. You really do stay busy but I am glad you find time for the pool and line dancing. Straightening out anything Verizon related is a nightmare, their phone is the worst to navigate of any phone company. 4,000 options and none apply. Hope Skeeter is doing better. I do hope you didn't overdo it to much.

What a busy week you have lined up! I do hope the MRIs turn out well and I will look forward to a report.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

With your volunteer work, your mom, and life in general your weeks are pretty darn busy too!

I also wasn't surprised Anand got fired and I think whether he told the truth or not he was toast. The feather boas, even I knew were to cheap looking.

Two correct was the average score on the test so you did a lot better than average! Sunburned whales are unique.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Actually, the conversation with the Verizon rep was quite pleasant and immediately productive. He was American, spoke perfect English, explained why the text msg option had been added (automatic with the new phone Himself got, when his first one - under warranty - blew up), set our account up to block incoming text messages (which I'd been getting from unknown sources and had to pay extra for). He also said Himself could get a new phone now or we could wait until June (time frames have been shortened) and Himself got a new phone and I got a discounted one. AND it didn't take more than a few minutes to get to a Real Person. All in all, a positive and unique experience with customer service with any company!

Dona, want to share your blog site, so we can all see your work? Or would you rather just email the site? I'd love to see what you've done.

Jury is still out on Skeeter. I'll put her in bed with us, when I head in, and hope for the best. This is the first time she's pitched her cookies in bed for a long, long time. Please hold good thoughts it was an aberration of some sort.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sending good thoughts and prayers Skeeter's way.

I will provide a link to Dona's blog in today's post but you can click on her name at the top of her message. That will bring you to her profile, at the bottom of the profile is a link to her blog. That also works for Mary Z's blog.

I consider you in the minority where Verizon is concerned, every time I've dealt with them I've left frustrated.

Bill