Friday, November 19, 2010

It's All About Me.

I'm not really cheap, I am just frugally aware. I do sometimes wonder if I just shouldn't bite the bullet and kick it up a notch and go the more expensive route. At least once in a while. I looked for a suit yesterday. Right now I have two Men's Warehouse Suits that I bought a little over two years ago and they are still doable. However, both are black which made me think I should look for a different colored suit with the holidays coming up. Today we are going to have a quiz not only about suits but about yours truly. First up are the suits that I looked at. I did stop at the Dollar Tree first but they didn't have suits.

I went to Nordstrom's, The Men's Warehouse, and Macy's. Each have several brand name suits which allowed me to chose amongst several price ranges and several styles.

The first up is Canali. It is an Italian brand name. Their suits range from about twelve hundred dollars to about seventeen hundred dollars.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=canali suits&v_t=keyword_rollover

Next up is Armani. Everyone knows their brand name, they are the Cadillac of suits. While you can get them as low as twelve hundred dollars the better ones go for eight hundred or more.

http://www.bluefly.com/Armani-Mens-Suits/_/N-1z140jiZ7qkZapt8/designerslist.fly?referer=Rgoogle&cm_mmc=EF-_-Google-_-Sui_D_A_Arman_B-_-Armani_Suits&ef_id=JhNM5q-PAAAAEuo:20101119171143:s

Following are pictures of Men's Warehouse suits. You can actually get them as low as two hundred dollars but the good ones run near five hundred smackers.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation_-1_10601_10051_10051_/Suits/@/N-1z141seZ1z141yjZ1z141ye/Ne-b/dp-1z141se

Did you know that Nordstrom's has their own brand name of men's suits? They run from three hundred to six hundred bucks:

http://couponalbum.over-blog.com/article-look-fashionable-with-men-s-suits-37225941.html

Macy's had suits for as little as two hundred bucks:

http://www.shopstyle.com/browse/mens-suits?fl=r2

Here are the questions for the day. What suits do you like the best? Did I kick it up a notch and buy a more expensive brand? What brand name was described by one salesman as "better material than Armani but not as expensive. Those in the know buy this brand." If you answer that question correctly you will also have the answer to the following three questions: What suit felt the best on me? What suit made me feel stylish and confident? Before the next question I need to explain that this was at a store where I tried on several brand names and the one that I was wearing at the time was not the most expensive. "What suit caused the following reaction by the female tailor, you look stunning in this suit."

Thanks for your help. The answers and the reason for the suit I purchased will either be on tomorrow's blog entry or in the comment section of today's post. This will be the final all about me post for a while!


WHO AM I?

I was born in 1845 and died in 1908. I was one of the first women doctors in the United Kingdom and a campaigner for women's rights. I spent more than 20 years in India as a senior doctor at a women's hospital. My dad was a Baptist minister with an MA from Edinburgh University and my Mom was a lawyer's daughter who, unusually for a woman of her generation, had studied Greek. I was educated by my father after which I worked as governess and teacher before joining efforts to persuade Edinburgh medical school to teach women. After arriving at Edinburgh University I passed my matriculation exams with honors. As the first year student with the highest marks in chemistry I seemed to be entitled to a prestigious scholarship but this was given to a male student who finished behind me in grades. The group of seven women medical students to which I belonged had to give up the struggle to graduate at Edinburgh. My next step was writing to the College of Physicians in Ireland to ask them to let me take exams leading to a license in midwifery. I worked for a time at the Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Women, Next I passed my medical exams in German and was awarded an MD. During the next six years I practiced medicine in India involving myself in women's health education and lecturing on a number of medical topics, including nursing. In reaction to the exclusion of women by the International Medical Congress I set up the Medical Women's Federation of England and I was elected president. I then went to India where I was in charge oa Dispensary for women. In India I met my husband and started to use a hyphenated surname. When ill health caused me to leave the medical field I was involved in the suffrage movement, representing Leeds suffragists at an International Women's Suffrage Alliance congress. I died soon thereafter of breast cancer. In my memory my husband set up a scholarship at the London School of Medicine for Women in my name which was granted regularly up to 1948. If you're not sure who I am by now maybe you should search ALEXANDRA NATIVE GIRLS'S EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION and look for the untold story. That should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

12 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry, can't help and won't guess on the suits. You see very few suits around SoCA. Maybe on lawyers or high-powered business types, neither of which I encounter very often if at all.

All the suits look similar to me, so it would depend on the feel of the fabric and the fit, but you guys always get tailoring, so I suppose the fit turns out the same in all of them.

So? What did you get? Inquiring minds want to know. If your current two are black, I'd guess you got either charcoal grey or blue, either of which would be nice.

On another subject, I'm surprised you haven't commented on Brandy's elimination on DWTS. I heard it on the news, and about the guy who shot his tv set when it happened. Can't say I blame him. As you know, I've always objected to the silly audience voting, more so than ever now that the Palin/tea party machine is weighing in.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I usually don't comment on the reality shows until the Sunday updates. Each of the last three weeks I've complained that first Audriana then Rick then Kurt left the show and Bristol stayed on it because she was worst than any of them. If Bristol wins I won't watch the show again. Brandy was one of the two best dancers on the show and politics got in the way. One political site slammed the show with over 50,000 emails to vote for Bristol. The rumor is that next year DWTS will require verification on all emails to avoid that kind of gaming of the system. The guy that shot out his TV set probably spoke for all of us. However, in a class move Bristol bought him a new TV set.

I'm not a fan of blue suits so Charcoal gray. Because all the suits are fitted it boils down to how you look in them and how the fabric feels.

Bill

dona said...

I think most looked alike also, but in my defense, I think it is really hard to compare just with pictures.
I just hope you got what you liked, what you felt comfortable in and what you could afford. Personally, I don't think I am cheap either, but think it is silly to spend more than a couple hundred on a suit. And if anyone here thinks that is cheap...then I am cheap.

There have only been a handful of times in my life where I spent more than I thought was necessary on clothes for myself....usually for a special occasion where I had to wear something I didn't already own.

I think you may have gotten a suit from where you got your others...Men's Warehouse. I am sure you looked great in all the suits. And I think the female tailor was clever. So you may have just kicked it up. :)

William J. said...

Hello Dona

I did get what I liked and felt comfortable with and since the tailor could barely speak English and said nothing until I tried on this particular suit I might have stepped it up! It was more than I could afford but once in my life I decided to go for it. And I have never spent more than a couple of hundred dollars on a suit either, until ...........


Bill

Lady DR said...

I haven't a clue which suit you might have gotten. I liked some of the Lauren, Klein and Rodriquiz suits, based on the pictures, but without seeing them on you, I wouldn't have a clue. My suspicion is you went for a mid-priced suit that both looked good and felt good. I'm suspecting Klein is the one the saleswoman referred to, but it's been a hundred years since we've shopped for a suit for Himself. I see you in a nice, navy three piece or maybe the one gray I saw, but I can't remember from whom.

We are definitely in the frugal class on suits and the like, since we rarely, if ever, have occasion to wear formal dress.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Didn't go middle road but didn't go most expensive either.

I have some events coming up the next couple of months that are a little more high society than I usually attend and want to look extra nice for them.

I also read a book that seen if you envision your success it will come you to only if you are ready for it so I am getting ready for it and prepared for being dressed for success.

I also want to have something on hand so I don't have to rent a tuxedo if any of my nephews or nieces get married. The suit I picked isn't a tux but would be very acceptable at formals. Just something in the closet that I won't wear that much but will make me look good when I do.

When I put on the suit I bought it felt so damn good and made me feel really confident. I've never in my life spent this much on a suit and will never again but this one time the suit I had to have after looking in the mirror. I will pick it up the day before Thanksgiving and wear it to an event 13-6. You can scroll down to see which one I bought.











Canali. Charcoal Gray. Pink Shirt. Red Tie. Didn't go cheap.

redwhistle said...

They say there's a Goodwill mentality or a Nordstrom mentality when purchasing items. I hope you went with a Nordstrom mentality.

Would like a grey suit with a white shirt (love white shirts on men) and a burgundy or navy tie! Just my opinion. Let us know where you are going to!!

William J. said...

Hi Red

Always nice to see you here. I took the Nordstrom mentality route for once in my life.

The events range from an annual party at the Lake Oswego country club, church events, lectures, etc.
I just want to be noticed for a change. All my life I've been shy and I hide in the background. This is a new year for me and I'm going for the noticing.

I did do the burgandy tie and I do have a white shirt!

Bill

redwhistle said...

Good job Bill. I'm liking the grey shirt the "model" is wearing with that blue tie. I don't know men's fashion but I am thinking the pink or burgundy (I might have the colors wrong) shirt you have might be dated. Liking this grey shirt he's wearing or white. Just saying as I don't really know much about men's fashion only what I happen to like and certainly don't take my word for it.

Glad you're stepping out! I'm going to do the same. Moved my office home and feel very isolated and need to become more social myself. I've starting doing some of it but need to do more - just like you! Take care and I am glad you had the Nordstrom mentality thist ime --- jeesh men's suits are expensive!!!!! Enjoy - we only get to do this one time (life that is).

William J. said...

Hi Red

When you work from your it is easy to get stuck in a rut and be happy being alone. You just have to force yourself to get out and that is my goal this year.

The salesman said burgandy, white, gray, purple, pink, and yellow shirts would go with it. He gave me a blue tie and a light pink shirt with it.

Bill

redwhistle said...

I'm sure you will look absolutely smashing as they say.

William J. said...

Thanks Red & I hope so.

Bill