Monday, November 15, 2010

One Way Trips & Bad Habits

A little housecleaning from yesterday's post for those that want to see how talented our Dona is and view her craftwork here is a link to her blog:

http://mrgreenjeans.blogspot.com/

Have you ever wanted to send someone on a one way trip to outer space? Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson come immediately to mind as a candidates for what scientists are suggesting in the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101115/ap_on_sc/us_one_way_to_mars

Who is on your list to take the one way trip in the above article?

Speaking of flights, I found the following article very disturbing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_cocaine_airways;_ylt=AlxIBpm271iT_fQAwVhq05ms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNtaXBnczQ3BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAxMTE1L3VzX2NvY2FpbmVfYWlyd2F5cwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzYEcG9zAzMEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawN1c2dhbmdzYnV5amU-

The lengths some people go to break the law is troubling. Just think if they put all that intelligence, money, and inventiveness to use doing good and helpful things. What a better country this would be.

One of my most charming features is how many bad habits that I have. To many to count. Fortunately, I don't have the bad habit mentioned in the following article, however, sixty-six percent of women do.

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/11/12/66-percent-women-use-expired-makeup/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C184164

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1872 and died in 1952. My father was Italian and my mother was Irish. At the age of twenty-one I moved to Oregon with Bess. We had what was called a Boston marriage. There I was a subject of an article where I publicly threatened to horsewhip my employer for not paying the hundred bucks he owed me. I carried out my threat but still didn't get the hundred bucks. The whip became a subject of a raffle where more than a hundred bucks was raised and given to Bess & I. We took the money and moved to San Francisco. There I began studying medicine and completed my degree. I received my medical degree at the Portland campus of the University that right now has the number one rated college football team in the nation. Their Portland campus was on of the few medical schools in the U.S. to admit women. After the earthquake in 1906 in the city by the bay I organized a group of doctors and nurses to provide humanitarian aid in the wake of the disaster, earning me a special commendation from the United States Army. I was one of several doctors in Portland who performed abortions, and did so without regard for social class or status. I was active in the movement to provide access and information about birth control. I also knew Margaret Sanger and some have hinted that I may have had a relationship with her. I was active in the women's suffrage movement in Oregon, which achieved success in 1912 when the state granted women the right to vote. I visited the site of a strike by women cherry sorters at the Oregon Packing Company, a strike action supported by the Industrial Workers of the World among others. While attending to an injured worker I was attacked by the police, whose brutality in attempting to end the strike led me to denounce capitalism and become an anarchist. I adopted a girl who at age sixteen became the youngest woman in the Pacific Northwest to fly an airplane solo. On 31 December 1918 I was convicted of sedition under the newly-revised Espionage Act for a speech made at the IWW hall opposing World War I. My lawyers were unsuccessful in their attempts to overturn my conviction, and my daughter later recalled how she and I were spat upon in the streets during this period. In prison I wrote letters to friends, one of which expressed anxiety and doubt about her "queerness," If you don't know who I am by now hop on THE OREGON DOCTOR TRAIN and read about PORTLAND'S RESPONSE TO THE 1906 SAN FRANCISCO EARTHQUAKE. Then you can easily answer the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Cute stuff, Dona! Wish I had an IPod so I could get one of those jean pocket things.

Exciting as the idea is, I personally hope they put manned expeditions to Mars on a back burner since we have so many problems right here that we can't seem to solve. We get lots of good Mars info from robots, and sending people all that way is too costly for the benefit as of now. IMO. Otherwise, I think Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson are good candidates for a one-way trip. Maybe George Bush would like to join them.

Good grief, drug traffickers with airplanes! What next? As long as drugs are profitable for these guys, the sky's the limit, I guess. [Pun intended]

Makeup has an expiration date? Who knew? Who cares? I guess it's a good way to sell more makeup.

dona said...

Thanks Bill for including a link to my blog on your post. I am always happy to have new visitors. Also Thanks to any interest at all, although I would like to add that I am not any kind of pro at any of the sewing/crafting I do or show on my blog. I only got back into sewing for my first grandchild to sew some blanket/quilts. And just did this last crafting bit to help out as my daughter in law was going to a craft show with nothing and she doesn't sew or craft. So please excuse for any lousy pieces you view. :) Thanks.

Yes I do have a list of who I would like to take the one way trip to Mars. But don't want to give it away here as they may come to read this.....

It never ceases to amaze me either at how some people come up with things that are illegal. I mean how much time and energy they put into these things is just unreal. I agree with you that if they put that intelligence to better use this would be a better country.

And the article on cosmetics really surprised me, I had no idea. I don't use much makeup and the only thing I do use takes me all year and sometimes a couple of years to use it up. So I ran to look at my expiration dates, but found none on my CoverGirl Blush. SO, guess I am good.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think they are putting the space program on hold, I read somewhere that they had quit funding and were trying to get more from Congress. Bush had been pretty quiet before his book came out and I'm not sure I would send, he is pretty harmless now.

I loved the pun about sky's the limit. I think old airplanes have cost in the thirty grand range so somebody is making a lot of money somewhere.

I didn't know makeup had an expiration date either.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I am happy to share the link. And your work is super. There are no lousy pieces.

Maybe if you mentioned who you wanted to send to Mars and they read it they would work harder to get on your good side!

If these jokers would sit around talking about how to improve the world instead of how to buy airplanes to ship drugs to England it certainly would make me happier!

I am glad your blush is still good!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Dona, what darling ornaments and bless you for your patience and willingness to help out the d-i-l. Mom used to make those kinds of things and I know the time and patience involved. You're a better woman than I am!

Gee, Bill, I can think of a whole lot of people I'd like to send to outer space, including most of the politicians in DC and a bunch here in SC, before ever starting on people I actually know. Personally, if someone wants me to go to Mars to colonize, they better send more than two couples. At least a couple dozen, with pre-fab housing supplies and the like. And some well-researched information on subsistence there, in the event the supply ships don't arrive on schedule. I mean, I lived in Juneau, after all, and there were times the ferries didn't make it in with fresh milk, eggs, bread and meat.

Yes, if everyone from the drug guys to the hackers would use their intelligence, money and such to positive purposes, who knows what positive advances we might make in the world?

As to make-up... I wear foundation, blush and lipstick for the line dance shows and once in a while I get a whim and wear it to go someplace special or different, but that's about it. Like Dona, I checked the three items and found no "use by" date, so I'm good for forever, which is good, which that's probably how long they'll last (g).

William J. said...

Hi DR

We decided we were going to form a community in Australia maybe we should think about moving that community to Mars! We can raise our own animals and our veggies in a garden. I can milk a cow, done it many times!

I am glad that all your makeup comes without an expiration date! I'm glad you are good to go!

Bill