Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Freedom Day.

Since a lot of states have vote by mail most of you have already voted. However, if you haven't voted please do so. I really don't care who or what you vote for as much as do that you vote. You have a voice in how the country is ran, don't pass up the chance to exercise that voice. Then let's hope that the elected officials will pay attention to the words from JFK's inaugural address in 1961:

"So let us begin anew. Remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear but never fear to negotiate. Let Both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring those problems which divide us."

Here is part two of a Rapist remains free written for The Oregonian by Steve Duin.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/11/part_two_unrepentent_a_rapist.html

How about is a miracle and good story? Check out the following story?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101102/od_nm/us_france_baby

Now here is an article that concerns me greatly. I think what the city is doing is the invasion of privacy of their citizens.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/smile-your-license-plates-on-candid-camera-in-tiburon-california/19699023

Your comments are appreciated. I am off to Mom's for tonight through Thursday Morning. The blog posts will be at various times the next couple of days. Hope you voted today and that your favorites win!

PS

Jody Williams was the answer to yesterday's Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Amazing miracle story about the baby and the awning left up when it might have been taken down. Bravo to the guy who had reflexes good enough to catch her.

As to the cameras, I can see both sides of the issue. As a rule, I don't pay too much attention to such intrusions, since I have nothing to hide, but I can see why people are upset at surveillance just on principle. It could certainly be abused.

Off to vote, now, and unlike you, Bill, I do care which way people vote. I hope those who disagree with me just stay home. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm not sure if I would have good enough reflexes to catch a baby should one come flying out of the sky.

And I probably misstated it when I said I don't care who the vote for, I do. However, I would rather have them vote then stay at home. Then when my guy or gal wins and it is 90% turnout, there is do doubt and you don't have to hear about the minority voted so it really isn't a message because only a minority of votes voted.

Bill

Lady DR said...

We voted. After spending one Saturday AM and most of last evening trying to sort out candidates and wade through the mud, in search of issues and proposed solutions (both of which were thin on the ground and buried in the muck).

The history of the rapist makes me sick, when I think of his victims, and angry and frustrated, when I think of the system that has allowed him to run rampant.

The miracle story brought a smile. I can't imagine being able to calculate who a baby would "bounce" off an awning and being able to catch her. And what were to such little ones doing at home alone?

Like Pat, I'm ambivalent about the cameras. The story about catching the stolen plate in DC is a plus. Filming every plate every time it enters/leaves town, I'm not sure about. The fact they aren't filming drivers/passengers is a good thing and it sounds like they're trying to observe civil liberties. Quite frankly, given the number of accidents in this area, I'd probably not protest a camera system that picked up the plates and vehicles running red lights. I swear there are intersections where a cop could make his salary in three days of ticketing and fines.

William J. said...

Hi DR

It is really difficult to sort out both the candidates and the measures because of the crazy political ads and how hard it is to separate truth from fiction.

The history of the rapist is what leads to bad laws being passed just like the one we had passed last night. I think they should not have minimum sentance requirements as much as they should have minimum sentancing guidelines to allow som flixibility. Of course rape is different, they should hang rapists.

I was wondering also what the little ones were doing home alone and why there wasn't safety locks on the window. I'm just glad it turned out the way it did.

I don't mind red light cameras but that is different to me than taking a picture of my license plate.

Bill