Friday, February 26, 2010

Can You Bear Less Cussing?

If you can't bear the first story for the day you can cuss at me from now until midnight February 28 even if you live in California. However, you Californians can't swear at me the first week in March because your legislature passed a cuss free week. First before we cuss together let's talk about bears. Here is a story that appeared in this morning's Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2010/02/the_oregon_zoo_hopes_to_educat.html

According to a side bar of the story that didn't make it online we all need to:

Drive less.

Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.

Plant a tree.

Use more insulation and less hot water.

Use the off switch.

Turn down the heat and air conditioning.

Hang laundry out to dry.

Don't let your car idle.

Buy local.

Recycle.

OK, I do most of what is on the list but I sure am the heck not going to air my dirty laundry in public. Although I don't think I will plant a tree I do have five big trees in my backyard that were there when I bought the house. Damn leafs. How much on the list do you do?

Now, how often do you cuss? Me? Very seldom. I've been known to drop an F-bomb but very rarely. I usually never say more than darn it. I take a lot of deep breaths and say a lot of non-sensical words but seldom to I swear in public. Now my TV may not be safe at times but the public has nothing to fear from this mouth. If you like to swear a lot I would kindly suggest not visiting California the fist week in March:

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_14470806?source=rss

Good idea? Bad Idea? Tell me what you really think.

May you bear whatever comes your way today and not cuss to much!

6 comments:

Pat said...

Let's see... I drive less, but mostly because I'm not commuting any more. I use compact fluorescent bulbs almost everywhere. Haven't planted a tree, but I have two opportunistic ones in the yard, does that count? Haven't insulated, nor have I cut down on hot water much. Maybe a little. I use the off switch, and Dave installed a new power supply for my computer than takes its energy use way down, plus he set it to go to sleep more often. I reset it to allow more time, but it still sleeps regularly.

I will never hang laundry out to dry. I love my dryer. Have to idle in bad traffic. I buy local when I can, I recycle. So I'm not too bad.

As to cussing, I find it interesting that all the comments I saw on the article, save one, thought that in time of financial crisis they are worried about swear words is just plain silly. I tend to agree, except that no cussing doesn't cost anything. I don't cuss much, but I've dropped the occasional f-bomb under duress. I probably cuss much less than when I worked in the film biz and effing this and effing that were favorite means of expression from some of my co-workers. Didn't bother me then, wouldn't bother me now, but I tend to go with the flow and don't associate with many serious cussers these days.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Since I counted the tree thing for me, you can count it for you!

I also thought the cussing was pretty silly. However, if changes the civility of how the legislators deal with each other then maybe it is a good thing. I am just doubtful it will help at all. And trying to involve everyone is a little over the top!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Neat story on the polar bears and what a good way to tie kids (and adults) into what they can do environmentally, as an individual, to save adorable creatures. As to the stuff to do... most of it I do. The driving is "iffy," since we're in a rural area and there's no public transport in TR, but at least it's only ten minutes to town and fifteen to the pool. We planted more trees in the front yard, but there were several when we bought the place. We're using the environmental bulbs, but, they're not lasting any longer than regular, quite frankly, so we remain vigilant about turning off lights. I do buy local and recycle. Am I going to hang my laundry outside in 20 degrees with 15 mph winds? Not in this lifetime, I'm afraid!

As to the cussing... I'm with you and Pat. I don't do it often. On very rare occasions, I may drop the "F" word in total frustration. I once had a boss apologize for using it ( gained a reputation when I slapped my boss in a meeting with other directors for using the word, which was as common as dirt in the electronics industry), but he said "Sometimes no other word works." Pat apparently found the same to be true in the film industry. No, I do not use it in public. Daddy once said that swearing was a sign of an extremely limited vocabulary. I tend to use "CHristmas goose" and "God bless America" and "rats and mice."

However, to pass legislation or resolutions declaring a no-cuss week seems a waste of the taxpayers dollars and legislator's time, which could be much better spent. Could we reduce pork barrel, fraud, corporate bonuses and bailouts, instead of reducing cussing? I'm all for civility, but have always felt you can not legislate morality, although politicians seem determined to try.

dona said...

I love Polar Bears.

Hard to drive less when all of civilization is 40 minutes away.
Using the better bulbs.
Planted 8 trees last fall.
Getting better at using the off switch. Would love to hang laundry out to dry but am spoiled with the dryer. Buy local and recycle what I can.
I would turn down the heat/air if there were any in this house.
And by gosh I will use what hot water is available, if we have it, somedays its my only luxury!

Not really a cusser. Wasn't brought up that way...although took lessons from an Aunt whose favorite word seemed to be the f bomb....among others, much to the dismay of my mother.
I have on occasion like others here, when provoked, used a small word here or there that was inappropriate....but for the most part I try to keep a clean mouth.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I loved the bear story and those creatures are so cute, especially the baby ones.

Anyone living in the country gets a pass on driving!

The times I bought the light bulbs they didn't last as long as regular ones. I also turn off lights both here and at Mom's.

I remember the story of you slapping the boss and thought it was extremely charming.

I agree with your daddy!

I would have been more behind the California legislature if they had passed a law banning swearing in schools through high school.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Looks like my blog attracts the non-cussing types!

And you are doing enough that you can use all the hot water you want!!

I imagine you would have to be really ticked to swear!!

Bill