Friday, February 12, 2010

Today We Are Going To Be Good

Yesterday we talked about celebrating the ridiculous holiday known as Valentine's Day. Today we are going to talk about good things. Teens doing good things. Good customer service. Good titles.

Sometimes we think of teens as worrying about nothing except dating and skipping school. Sometimes we are wrong. So very wrong. Here is a story of what some teens in Clackamas County, Oregon are doing:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/02/clackamas_county_students_mobi.html

Next up is good customer service. Let's celebrate those that just go above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel appreciated and appreciate our business.

Believe it or not first up on good customer service is the Sherwood Post Office. They remember me from when I was mailing a ton of stuff when I had my business. I don't do as much mailing as I did back then but they still treat me with a lot of respect. Sometimes when it isn't busy we just chat a bit.

Then there is one waitress at Shari's Restaurant here in Sherwood that always makes Mom and I feel welcome. Always "here are my favorite customers, the lady that looks nowhere near her age and the son that always makes me laugh." I don't really know if we are her favorite customers but it sure makes us feel welcome. When we took my sister and her husband in there they were surprised at how nice she was to us. Of course, sis, thought she was interested in dating me. Sis thinks every woman that says hi is interested in dating me. She isn't. For crying out load she is 30 years younger then I am. Bless Sister's heart to think the best of me.

Now on to Nordstrom's. One of the blogs I go to posted an entry about how she was treated at a Nordstrom's in the Los Angeles area. I think her words are worth passing on here:

http://satellitesistersblog.blogspot.com/

Finally, is the Hotel Max in Seattle, Washington. While I have never stayed there, I am betting they have really great customer service. I mentioned the hotel on the blog yesterday. Lo and Behold Jen Joyce of Hotel Max posted a message on the blog. You can read her comment here:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2010/02/helping-your-celebrate.html

Now on to titles. Jen has a title that I would love to have, "Captain of Makin' It Happen." Now isn't that a great title? Not customer service expert, or public relations guru but "Captain of Makin' It Happen." That title had me wondering what other titles I would love to have. One would be "President Of Making People Happy." Another would be "Sergeant of Making Sure People Have Fun." Then there would be "Master Of Making Dreams Come True."

Questions for the day. Do you know of any teens in your area that are doing good things? Would you like to give a shout out to anyone in your area that goes the extra mile to make you and/or yours feel appreciated? Hairdresser? Gas Station Attendant? Regular checker at the supermarket? Bank Teller? And the last question is what title would you like to have?

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

What a neat article on the teens, Bill. It does give one great hope for the future. And ho0w fortunate you are to have a local paper that carries good news. One of the reasons we no longer take the local paper and only occasionally check its online content is that it's doom and gloom and very slanted news.

I loved reading the story on Nordstroms and knowing they haven't changed. When a dear friend was in a near fatal car accident in Juneau and medivaced to Seattle, I went down for a week, when she was released from ICU. I went to Nordstroms and talked with one of the personal shoppers, explaining the situation. The next day, the woman was at the hospital with everything from nightgowns and housecoats to jogging suits and brought one of their hairdressers with her.

I'd also put our local post office employees up there with the best customer service, along with the local Mexican restaurant we frequent. And the tellers at the bank, who were always so sweet to Mom and continue to ask about her.

As to titles? Hmmm... I really like Captain of Making it Happen. I'd also like "One in Charge of Dispensing Daily Blessings." "She Who Dispenses Happiness."

William J. said...

Hi DR

The Oregonian does get some heat for their typos and perceived liberal leanings (they have been in publication for over 130 years and only twice have they endorsed a Democrat for President, Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama.)

They have some really great columnists. Margie Boule writes a pretty good column that has a little tiny bit of a feminist stance. Steve Duin writes powerful columns. John Canzano is a sports columnists that often writes columns that transcend sports. Oregonlive.com is a good place to go.

I like that they will often write articles about teens doing good thing and everyday people struggling to get through life.

The story you told about Nordstroms is amazing. To be so thoughtful to even bring a hairdresser. No wonder everyone loves Nordstroms.

I am glad you also mentioned your post office, they so often get a bad rap. Not to mention the others that you mentioned.

I love the title "She Who Dispense Happiness."

Bill