Saturday, February 27, 2010

Let's Talk

According to the following article the last thing a man wants to do is to sit down and talk to the woman in his life. I couldn't disagree more. In most cases I would rather sit down with a cup of coffee and have a nice chat with a woman friend then I would share a beer with a guy friend.

http://www.bvonlove.com/2010/02/25/does-she-talk-too-much/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bvonlove.com%2F2010%2F02%2F25%2Fdoes-she-talk-too-much%2F

Here is how some of my chats with men go:

"Wow. Lindsay Vonn crashed again. Can you imagine the emotions of someone that trains her entire life towards a goal and then watch it crash right before your very eyes?"

"She is hot."

Or maybe we are talking about life.

"Taking care of a dad with dementia is really about the most emotionally difficult thing that I have ever done."

"Did you see the Trailblazer game last night?"

Now the picture changes to myself and a woman friend having lunch or coffee. I start the conversation.

"How are you doing? Everything OK, with your mom."

"She just had surgery. I've been taking care of her for a couple of weeks."

"I know how that goes. Anything I can do to help."

"You have enough on your plate. I can't imagine what it must be like to be a care giver for as long as you have been."

Almost every time I sit down with a woman friend, married or single, relative or not, we have inspiring and interesting conversations. About life. About news. About marriage and dating. Any number of subjects. When I sit down with a man friend it is about the game or the woman not about each other.

OK, there was one time when I dated a compulsive talker and maybe a few times I was saying to myself "please God, make her shut up" but that is the exception to the rule.

Who would you rather talk to? A man or a woman? What do you think about the article? Would my take on things change with marriage like the author says it does?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I always wonder who these writers know, who they talk to. I don't have a preference as far as talking to men or women. I've had great conversations with both. And I've had absolutely stultifying conversations with both sexes, too. It depends on the person, not their sex. IMO.

Would you change with marriage? Probably sometimes and not other times. My own experience was that we'd go for days with nothing except practical conversations, and then we'd stay up all night talking about "deep" subjects. Go figure. {g}

Lady DR said...

I'm pretty much with Pat on this one. I've had a lot of friends who were men and with whom I had really great discussions and conversations, so I'd say it's the person, not the gender. I also agree about communication in marriage. There are times when we seem to discuss nothing but the practical and other times when we get philosophical and other times when we get just plain silly and anyone listening would probably have us both committed.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I got the impression that the write was a columnists that took questions from readers and was answering one guy about his wife talking to much and then took that one quesion and made it everyone, everywhere.

I've had some good conversations with men not nearly as many as I've had with women. I think your take on marriage is no doubt right. That is the way it was with mom and dad, sometimes they would talk endlessly about important stuff but often it was we need milk.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Silly is good. It keeps the humor in a relationship!

Dad did more silly things than any mand I know!!

Bill