Sunday, February 7, 2010

Updates

Super Bowl Sunday is all about predictions and updates.

My Super Bowl Prediction: Saints 38 Colts 35 in the first overtime game in Super Bowl History.

My prediction of the commercial rankings in the USA Today ad meter is the Budweiser first quarter ad where men's voices change will be first. Second will be the third quarter ad where a sleepwalker goes though hell to get a coke. Denny's fourth quarter ad where it is a good day for free breakfasts but a bad day for chickens comes in third. The Focus On The Family commercial that airs in the first quarter will come in last. The Dove ad that floats throughout the game where it takes a man from birth to adulthood highlighting moments like his first kiss and graduations has a shot to finish way up there.

On to updates. First up is the battle between the charitable teen and McDonalds. It looks like there may be a friendly settlement between the fast food giant and the fund raising teen. The king of the cheap hamburgers succumbed to public pressure and asked for an in person meeting. According to the following article there will be some of kind of concession on both sides. The giant not suing and the teen changing the name in some fashion to please McDonalds. My guess is the solution will be using Mcfest instead of McFest. Read the update here:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/02/05/mcdonalds-may-be-ready-to-end-the-beef-over-teens-mcfest-chari/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F02%2F05%2Fmcdonalds-may-be-ready-to-end-the-beef-over-teens-mcfest-chari%2F

Next update is that I wanted to bring you update on how I am doing with my new reduced role in the care giving world. There is still a lot to do because many things Mom still prefers me to do. However, I don't feel the stress that I felt before Sister moved here. It also is making going back into the working world a lot easier because the pressure of the worry about Mom isn't weighing on my mind. There are some adjustments and I do miss some things. I guess in a way caring for Mom gave me purpose and for a long time I kind of floundered around without that purpose. Now that I started work that gives me purpose to softens that blow. The other adjustment is there are times when I miss taking Mom out, just the two of us. What I really miss is watching people react to Mom. She has such a pleasant face that people really kind of flock to her and when they find out she is in her nineties they really treat her with a tremendous amount of respect. I suppose one could say she is a babe magnet because I get a lot of side benefits of being with her. Hugs and kisses on the check from waitresses and hostesses. Sometimes they even give us free things. It makes me feel kind of special but it also makes me recognize the good in Mom that other people see that I am sometimes to close to her to see. Overall, however, not spending nights at Mom's has actually made our relationship better because there isn't the subconscious resentment on my part and that makes mom more relaxed. I also now am free to take over for a weekend or a week if I so desire.

Now it is your turn. Tell me about you and your relatives and/or friends. Are there things about the people in your life that you don't really think about until you watch how the react with others? What did you do last week and what is on the agenda for next week? Tell me everything. Tell me anything. Post anything you damn well please!

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Bill, I so glad to hear you're adjusting and that you and Mom are enjoying time together. Yes, I imagine you do miss your alone times with her. Perhaps you can still arrange a few of those.

Email from Deb this AM and talked very briefly with her. They're sure it's the gall bladder, but are doing a couple more tests. The surgeon scared them to pieces. Said she'd try laproscopy, but suspected that wouldn't work IF the g/b is infected or rotted or attached to the liver (happens)or the tissue around it has hardened, which would mean extensive surgery, which Mom might or might not survive and would mean a week in ICU, etc. NOw, I'm all for knowing odds and options, but it seems it would have been better to determine the condition of the g/b with additional tests, before laying out death scenarios.OTOH, the cardio came in and didn't see any high risks. So, Mom has to make a decision. I called Deb and suggested she ask for the nuclear imaging scan they did for me, which told them the condition of the g/b. On the up side, her b/p and sugars are all normal. They're giving her 3 IV antibiotics, so if there's infection anywhere in the system, they'll "get" it. The hope is Mom will be released today and we'll have more news tonight. Please continue the prayers and positive vibes.

My week was pretty routine. Iced in Monday, but otherwise got to the pool and line dance and made progress on the editorial project. Still picking away at kitchen project, now going through pantry. Woke up yesterday with terrific cold. Thank goodness for ZiCam! Informed by Himself at noon that M had called and he and J would be here at 6:30 to watch the SuperBowl. Himself had invited M, without telling me (yes, I considered murder - he's never done this before). I figured the guys could watch game, I could do my thing up here. Then J decided to come. (Same couple that periodically invites themselves up for dinner). Murder became a more appealing idea and I don't think a jury of women anywhere would convict me! Sloppy Joes bubbling in crockpot, hit the high spots with vacuum and duster, cleaned the bathroom, got all the clutter out of the kitchen/dining area and called it done. I shall put on my game face and make progress on the friendship shawl this evening.

Next week looks pretty routine, at this point, except I need to get in to see the dermo, as the meds he has me using on a couple little spots seem to have irritated that half of my face and kicked up more spots. Hopefully, it's an easy fix.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Hope the day went well with your company! Most of the time I go out with Mom, sister and her husband come along. I do get maybe one day a week with her so for now that will do.

In a way I am glad it is the gall bladder and not the heart. However, the surgeion should be horsewhipped for scaring your mom. He must have the bed side manner of a skunk. Nuclear scan and laser surgery would be my choice. Good that here signs are good! My prayers are conitnuing!

I am always surprised to hear about your weather because we are having a great winter weather wise. We haven't had one day under 32 this year and it 55 and beautiful today. Third hottest day on record for this day.

I am rooting that your cold gets better and am also wondering if it might be stress.

I do hope that even though it wasn't on your agenda that you enjoyed the game and the commercials! The Doritos and Denny's commercials were the best.

Bill

Pat said...

That McStory gets sillier and sillier. I do hope McDonald's caves, but I guess they'd save face with Mcfest or something equally stupid. Sheesh!

DR, change surgeons immediately! I don't mind a poor bedside manner, but this one sounds like overkill (no pun intended). Good vibes continuing for better health for your mom. And I wouldn't vote to convict if you, er, eliminate the uninvited guests. But you won't. You'll feed them and play hostess and maybe just grind your teeth a little.

The coming week is fairly busy, what with the usual mom stuff plus book group, investment club, an outing with friends and trying to finish up tax info for myself and my mother. This week is almost over, it being after 11 p.m., so it's officially forgotten as of now.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you about DR's surgeon. At minimum I would express my disappointment to the hospital adminstration.

Your approaching week does sound very full, if you need help or have questions about the taxes I am here!!

Bill