Thursday, February 25, 2010

Genetic Testing

Overloaded with work today so just a brief post but what I think is an interest topic, genetic testing:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-02-25-1Agenetictesting25_CV_N.htm

What do you think? Good idea? Bad Idea? Would you submit to a test that would allow a medication to be developed just for you? Wait and see how it works?

Frankly, I am all for it. I am for anything that cures illnesses or makes the quality of life better for anyone. I'd even be willing to submit myself to be tested. And you?

4 comments:

Pat said...

If I were facing treatment for serious disease, you bet I'd want to be tested. Medications are kind of a crapshoot as it is, and anything that would give me more information on what to take or what not to would be welcome.

I would not, however, particularly want to be tested to tell me what diseases I might be at risk for. I think that would just make me nervous, and I'd rather take what comes and deal with it when I need to.

Lady DR said...

I agree that I'd wanted genetic testing, if I was facing a serious/potentially terminal disease and there was any question as to what drug would be more effective.

I'm on the fence about testing for "at risk" purposes. If the testing included what could be done to avoid the at-risk disease issues or monitoring of any increase in risk or preventive medications and such, maybe. Particularly is it was a disease which ran in the family. Not sure which way I'd jump, if that became a viable option in preventative care.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think I wouldn't mind be tested to see what I was at risk for because then I could take some preventative steps. Sort of defensive driving.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am the only that wouldn't hesitate to test for diseases I was at risk for, I'm not on the fence at all!

I prefer knowing which road to take.

Bill