Saturday, February 20, 2010

Yodel Lady Who?

Hello everyone. My life is boring. Right now life is all about work. All work and no play makes the dull even duller. However, in the midst of a dull life it is good to find out that I am not alone:

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/scientists-make-it-official-people-are-so-predictable/19364257?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fscience%2Farticle%2Fscientists-make-it-official-people-are-so-predictable%2F19364257

Maybe I am not interpreting the article correctly so I need to ask you, can a person be predictable and not be dull?

Things are certainly not dull in Helvatia, Oregon. It is a farming community not far outside of Portland. Helvatia is Swiss for Switzerland. Noted for being beautiful farm country and having neighborly folks, the community wanted to avoid their beloved country being taken over by housing and business developments. They decided the best way to express their concerns to the Washington County Oregon Board of Commissioners was not to be boring. Read how they fought city hall here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2010/02/helvetia_persuades_planners_to.html

Do you know how to Yodel? My dad did he was great at it. He used to entertain us at parties. What would you do if your beloved land was about to be taken over by housing developments? How far would you go to save your land? Truthfully, I am not sure I know the answer. Maybe I'd learn to Yodel.

May your day be filled with music and may you join me in being predictable.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Wow, I didn't know your dad could yodel! I always thought it would be great fun.

No, dear, your life is not boring. Actually, a lot of people would find it great to be able to meet different people every day and solve their problems and and answer their questions.

A predictable person isn't necessarily boring. In fact, a predictable person can, I suspect, be far from boring - just think of the fun when he/she breaks the pattern (EG).

I suspect I'm probably pretty predictable - my exercise routine, my work routine, my sort-of cleaning routine, my likes and dislikes. But I don't think that makes us predictable. We don't necessarily know how we'll react to certain people, circumstances, situations that come up in our routine lives. And I think it makes the break from the predictable pattern all the more fun.

My considered opinion is that predictable isn't dull, it's actually quite comforting for most people who know us, and it isn't necessarily dull, as no one can predict who one will meet at work, at the gym, what show will be playing at your standard Friday theater outing, what my happen when you follow any of your standard routines. Yes, I think it's good to break the pattern on occasion, but still...

Pat said...

You think you're boring? I'll show you boring! Well, actually not the last couple of days, but usually my life defines boring. I am depressingly predictable.

I do not yodel. But I'll say bravo to the people of Helvetia. I'm glad they had a yodeler.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Actually my dad was a much better yodeler than the lady in the video. He also had a really good singing voice too. He used to sing to us when we were you. You Are My Sunshine and She Will Be Coming Around The Mountain.

I do feel right know that even though I am overwhelemed with things to do the life right now is one note and that one note being work!

I know a lot of predictable people and I didn't think they were boring either. My mom being one.

I don't think you are either predictable or boring.

And I do think predictable people are comforting. We when need help who do we go to? The totally unpredictable or the solid ones? I go predictable here.

So was my response predictable?

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Now there is a list that you are on, most supportive mother!

Your daughter is obviously really good at what she does! Does she ever speak in Portland? And if she does can normal people go to hear her?

Next time you come to Portland I will take you to the Helvatia Tavern for the best hamburger anywhere!

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/01/hamburger-america-helvetia-tavern-in-hillsboro-oregon.html

Bill

dona said...

Late on this post too, but will just say that my mother yodeled too! How strange is that?

And, I don't think you sound boring at all.

And last the best hamburger anywhere sounds wonderful...if Pat doesn't go I will! I love hamburgers especially good ones! :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You are never late on any post!

We no doubt had the same parents! How unusual that each of us had a partent that yodeled!

Any time you and The Shankster come here the hamburger is on me!

Bill