Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm Nominate Myself For?

Let's have some fun today. What award would you want to be nominated for? You can make up your own award, like best care giver, or best blog poster, or best everyday hero. Or you can choose an award already in existence. Then once you tell me the award you chose for yourself in fifty words or less give me your acceptance speech!

What brought this up is that Monday and Tuesday were big for award followers like yours truly. First up on Monday was The Razzies nominations. The Razzies honors the worst of the year in films. Then on Tuesday morning the Oscar nominations for the best in films of the year were announced. Let's do the worst first.

Sandra Bullock, for All About Steve, was a worst actress nominee and John Travolta for, Old Dogs, was a worst actor nominee. Films nominated for the infamous award were 'All About Steve', 'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra', 'Land of the Lost', 'Old Dogs' and 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'. There were three special categories this year; Worst Film Of The Decade, Worst Actor Of The Decade, and Worst Actress of the decade. I won't mention any of the films because not only did I not see any of them, I don't remember any of them. Worst actor of the decade has some surprises. Who do think was the worst actor of the decade? You can choose from Ben Affleck, Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, Rob Schneider, and John Travolta. I kind of like most of those dudes. Who do you think was the worst actress of the decade? You can choose from Mariah Carey, Paris Hilton. Lindsay Lohan, Jennifer Lopez, and Madonna. I like most the actresses too! Well, except Paris.

You can see a complete list of the Razzies here:

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/02/01/razzie-nominations-2010/

Now on to the Oscars. Sandra Bullock shows up there too. You might say that would indicate an up and down year for the charming starlet. What surprised me about the Oscars is that 500 Days of Summer didn't get nominated nor did Invictus. What did please me is that The Blind Side was one of the ten films nominated for best picture. I was pleased to see The Blind Side nominated not because it was the best picture of the year but because it was a family movie. One that several generations could attend together and not be embarrassed. Maybe this will lead to more family friendly movies! Leading the way was The Hurt Locker and Avatar with nine nominations each. The top award nominations:

Best Movie: 'Avatar', 'The Blind Side' (seen), 'District 9'(ssen), 'An Education', 'The Hurt Locker'(seen), Inglourious Basterds' (seen), 'Precious', 'A Serious Man'(seen), 'Up'. and 'Up in the Air'(seen).

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges, 'Crazy Heart', George Clooney, 'Up in the Air', Colin Firth, 'A Single Man', Morgan Freeman, 'Invictus', and Jeremy Renner, 'The Hurt Locker'.

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock, 'The Blind Side', Helen Mirren, 'The Last Station', Carey Mulligan, 'An Education, Gabourey Sidibe, 'Precious', and Meryl Streep, 'Julie & Julia'.

Best Supporting Actor: Matt Damon, 'Invictus', Woody Harrelson, 'The Messenger'
Christopher Plummer, 'The Last Station', Stanley Tucci, 'The Lovely Bones' and
Christoph Waltz, 'Inglourious Basterds'.

Best Supporting Actress:Penelope Cruz, 'Nine', Vera Farmiga, 'Up in the Air', Maggie Gyllenhaal, 'Crazy Heart', Anna Kendrick, 'Up in the Air', and Mo'nique, 'Precious'.

You can see a full list of the Oscar Nominations here:

http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/nominee-winner?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moviefone.com%2Foscars-academy-awards%2Fnominee-winner

Does any of the nominations for the best or worst in films surprise you? Now what award did you nominate yourself for and give me your acceptance speech. You deserve some glory and you can have today on the blog!

4 comments:

Pat said...

None of the nominations surprise me, because I haven't seen any of the pix, except for JULIE & JULIA. None of the Razzies surprise me, either, and I can't vote for a Worst of All because I haven't seen a single one of those pictures, nor even heard of most of them.

Award? Don't need no steenkin' awards. But if pressed, I'll nominate myself for Best Procrastinator. My acceptance speech:

Thank you all very much. I hope there is cash associated with this award. I have no one to thank because nobody helped me win this award, I did it all by myself.

Lady DR said...

Ah, Pat, I love your award and acceptance speech!

Bill, can't comment on the Razzies or Oscars, since I don't recognize most of the names nor have I seen the movies. We do have some in the queue at Netflex, if that counts for anything.

Award? Hmm... I nominate myself for most patient and caring water aerobics instructor.

Thank you all. I realize many of you won't recognize the basis of this award, as you've been too busy talking with each other and over my voice, ignoring the needs of those who really want and/or need the water exercises for physical well being and rehab from surgery or ailments. Most of you have no idea of the hours spent battling campus politics or petty issues within the PAC program or listening to people complain about water temps and not being able to hear me call routines and answering emails about all of the above. All that said, most of you will never know the satisfaction and joy that comes from each person who's discovered they can overcome fear of water, can walk and run and move in the water as they'll never be able to do "on land" and who've lost weight, gained flexibility, been able to put away a cane or walk upright for the first time in years. I offer a sincere thank you to those who have come to me with stories of success and those who've supported me through the various hassles. To those of you who were, in any way, responsible for my decision to retire and are complaining about the new instructor/hours/whatever, I offer you the wisdom that says you often get what you deserve.

Not at all sure that's what you were looking for, Bill, but it sure felt good to write the speech (BG)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry it took so long to respond but yesterday was my first day at work and I was a tide tired.

I would nominate you for best daughter or best poster that keeps my one my toes and makes sure that I check my facts!!

I did like your award and speech though!

Bil

William J. said...

Hi DR

I LOVED THE ACCEPTANCE SPEECH! That is exactly what I was looking for.

And you got one of the reasons for the post, to make you feel good about yourself.

And after work you have me seriously considiering taking an adult swimming class at the Y!
Either that or hire a private tutor.

I would also nominate you as the poster that comes up with the most ideas for discussion!!

Bill