Saturday, February 6, 2010

Great Catches

DR's Mom is in the hospital in Arizona. They did some tests and know it isn't heart related. They suspect a gall bladder attack. The hospital staff isn't allowing her to take her regular medication until they find out what is wrong with her. She was kept her overnight in the hospital. DR's sister is monitoring the situation and DR is in constant contact with her. Let's send the famous blog healing prayers, good thoughts, and positive vibes in the direction of DR, her sister, and her Mom.

I am looking forward to Super Bowl Sunday. New Orleans Saints vs. Indianapolis Colts. My guess is Dona and The Shankster are rooting for the Colts but I am rooting for the Saints. I just think a win would be good for the city of New Orleans. My sister is having a super bowl party tomorrow. My contribution is to be a veggie tray and cupcakes with little footballs on top of them. I am also going to record the Super Bowl at my house. I love a good game but you can't watch the Super Bowl without checking out the commercials! I almost enjoy rating the commercials more than I do watching the game!

In addition to the Super Bowl tomorrow I am taking my Mom to church. If you remember the church we go to the most often has an incredible woman as the minister. She is blind but that doesn't keep her down or negative. She is always ready to go the extra mile. A few days ago she called Mom and told her since it was Communion Sunday and that since she knew how hard it was for Mom to get to church she would like to come over to Mom's after church and give her communion. I talked it over with Mom and we decided it is just as hard for the minister to come to her house as it is for us to go to church. I am taking Mom to church tomorrow. We go to the Metzger Methodist Church. Methodists have what is called "open communion." Open communion means anyone can partake in it, even non-members of the church. Some churches only allow members to take communion. Not ours. One of the things I like about it. Now I just have to figure out how to navigate the wheelchair up to the communion table.

Writing about the Super Bowl brings to mind great catches. I am sure that during the game tomorrow there are going to be some really great catches but none are going to be as great of a catch as a fourteen year-old made. Probably saved a life:

http://www.gnn.com/article/teen-catches-tot-falling-from-window/892481?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gnn.com%2Farticle%2Fteen-catches-tot-falling-from-window%2F892481

What is on the agenda for you for Super Bowl Sunday? Going to watch the game? For the commercials? Or since everyone is going to be indoors watching the game are you going to take the opportunity to go to a movie or shopping where there will be no crowds to fight? What is the greatest catch you have ever made? Catch a typo that would have cost a lot of grief for you or your employer? Catch a deadline that everyone else had ignored? My greatest catch was a few years ago when noticing signs of a stroke in Mom I got her to the emergency room within an hour. That probably not only saved her life but allowed them to immediately administer medication that helped her to recover fully. Your turn.

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

Sounds like a tough time for mothers. Good thoughts for DR's mom, and we can hope for a gallbladder problem. The fix is usually easy and immediate.

John will watch the Super Bowl - I probably won't pay much attention...to either the game or the commercials. Although we are definitely Peyton fans (we DO live in Tennessee, after all).

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

With the new laser surgery my mom was eating pizza a day after gall bladder surgery so I do hope that is it!

My Mom will be there but she will be like not really paying attention to the game. Still it gets her out.

Bill

Pat said...

Just saw some good news about DR's mom, so all the good wishes may have helped out. More info to come, so everybody keep sending the good stuff.

Interesting about the Methodists having a communion table. As a kid, I went to a Methodist church, and they passed the wafers and teeny cups of grape juice around, so you didn't have to leave the pew.

I will ignore the Super Bowl, unless it's on the big tv when I go to visit mom. I can still try to ignore it, but will be a captive audience, more or less. If I see that Family Focus commercial, I shall boo loudly.

Good on you and the kid in the story for great catches. Offhand, I can't think of any I've made, or none of any importance.

Lady DR said...

Bill, thanks for posting the msg about Mom and thanks to all of you for the prayers. As of late morning, Mom was more comfortable and Percocet eased the pain and, consequently, lowered the blood sugar and blood pressure. Still waiting for more test results, hopefully later tonight or tomorrow AM, but obviously the prayers and good vibes are helping, as they usually do. The consensus seems to be gall bladder, unless tests show something else. We do know it was NOT the heart, thank goodness. Still, the cardio has nixed any surgery that requires anesthesia at this point.

IF (big if) I watch the game, I'll be rooting for the Saints. You guys love commercials? Geez, I gotta be weird. Commercials are one of many reasons I don't "do" TV!

My "catch" was similar to yours, Bill. When Mom's furniture was delayed, we had her staying with us and during that time, I noticed the shortness of breath and some other symptoms, got her to an internist and asked for a referral to a cardio, who found the five blockages and ordered immediate bypass surgery, which likely saved her life. Are we SURE we don't have the same mother? (she asks yet again)

William J. said...

Hi PAt

I saw the good news about DR's Mom and was very pleased.

Table was probably a bad choice of words. The is a railing right in front of the pulpit with about thirty slots for the little wine glasses that they use (they serve grape juice.) Then about twenty to thirty people at a time go up and kneel at the railing. The minister goes from person to person and gives you a small piece of bread and you help yourself to the glass of wine in the slot closest to you. The minsters did say if the wheelchair was a problem she would come out into the congregation and give mom her communion. But I figure all I have to do is put Mom all the way to the end.

I am going to boo all Focus On The Family commercials. They added four pregame commercials to the mix after the todo about their in game commercial.

And I bet there where a thousand of times you made great catches. With your mom and how many times did you save Chuck and Aaron from using the wrong music?

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

You are welcome for the note. We are family! I am glad your mom is more comfortable and hope she goes home soon without surgery! I think the heart doctor is smart to treat surgery as the last restort!

I don't love commercials but the Super Bowl is famous for commercials. It is the first time that a lot of companies introduce their new campaigns. Many of the commercials during the Super Bowl are extremely funny. It isn't that we like commercials it is that commercials during the Super Bowl have almost become required watching for consumers, ad agencies, and other companies.

I am glad I have a fellow Saints fan.

Good catch re your Mom! You no doubt saved our Mom's life!

Bill

Naomi said...

One of the best catches I ever made was at a hospital. During college my roommate and I had work-study jobs at the large public health hospital in Seattle. She worked in the tumor registry, I in the radiology department. She had to type out letter to the patients on the oncology ward. One time while proofing her letter, she had misspelled Cancer of the Mouth. She had typed Cancer of the Month. We quickly corrected that one.

William J. said...

NAOMI!!!!!!!!!

Well, I will be darned you figured out how to post!!!

It is so good to see you here.

And what a great catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill