Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Does Money Make People Happy?

Not according to an Austrian millionaire. What do you do if you end up wealthy and it wasn't all it is cracked up to be? This is what the millionaire is doing:

http://www.aolnews.com/money/article/money-made-life-miserable-so-millionare-karl-rabeder-is-giving-it-away/19356181?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fmoney%2Farticle%2Fmoney-made-life-miserable-so-millionare-karl-rabeder-is-giving-it-away%2F19356181

I am not sure if I had that winning lottery ticket that I would give all the money away. My Mom thinks I would but I don't. I would give a good share of it to friends and relatives to make their life complete. I would set up a charitable foundation to help the needy. But I would keep plenty for myself. I'd keep enough that I wouldn't have to worry the rest of my life. I certainly wouldn't give it all away. What would you do if you found yourself rich and you were unhappy? Would you give it away?

What do you think will happen to Karl Rabeder after he ends up penniless? Do you think he will wish for his money back? Will he miss the trips around the world, the luxury cars, and the rich lifestyle? Or will he be happy in his mountain home getting in touch with nature? I think he is going to rue the day he gave it all away.

I hope we hear what his life is like a year from now!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Would I give it ALL away? Ha! No bloody chance! I like to think I'd be very generous with it, but I'd keep plenty to be sure I'd be well taken care of if/when I couldn't take care of myself. And of course I'd buy some fun things and probably take exotic trips in a luxurious manner.

Actually, since I have no wealthy relatives and don't buy Lottery tickets, I don't give much thought to having tons of money. I have enough for my needs and most of my wants, and don't particularly long for anything beyond total security.

Do I think Rabeder will regret giving it all away? Probably. Do I really think he'll give it ALL away? No.

Lady DR said...

NO, I don't think money makes people happy. I think that has to come from within. I do think using your money to help others probably makes you happy, but Rabeder seems to be taking this to extremes. Like you, I'd give money to relatives to make their lives easier and to friends who needed and deserved it. As we've discussed before, I set up a foundation for helping the elderly. But, yes, I'd keep some for myself. I have everything I need and most things I want, but there are some things I'd indulge in just for me or us.

I think Rabeder may be in for a bit of a shock, if he really does give it all away and retire to live with nature. And I'd LOVE to know what his wife's take is on all this (EG).

I do think that too many spend too much time chasing the dollar and material items. I cannot claim to be innocent of that pursuit, myself, in some respects. I also think there has to be a happy medium, where your needs are satisfied, your wants are reasonably well satisfied and you can share the extra. Now all one needs to do is be able to identify needs vs wants vs extra.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

We are pretty much in the same place, generous but we would sure in the heck take care of ourselves too. There are other ways to come into money besides the lottery. A unknown relative leaves you a fortune, someone you befriended in the past without heirs leaves your their estate. A man can dream!

And I am with you, I doubt that he will give it away!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I don't think money makes people happy but I don think that limitations make people unhappy and sometimes money can take away those limitations.

We all agree that there is nothing wrong to keep enough of a fortune to make yourself taken care of!

I can see him being shocked by nature and start the procedure all over again to acquire material things.

I do wonder what his wife thinks of this, if he is still married!

All of us have let the material things lead us at different points in our lives, it is human. Nothing to be disappointed about.

Want might be a need for you could very well just be a want for me, that is why they are so difficult to define.

Bill