Monday, February 8, 2010

Killer Songs

We have all heard the term "killer song." We usually mean that the song is so good that is is a "killer song." However, according to the following article Frank Sinatra's "My Way" is literally a killer song.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/world/asia/07karaoke.html

"Take Me Home Country Roads" by John Denver and Coldplay's "Yellow" have also lead to violence. According to reports a Thai man killed nine of his neighbors after singing the John Denver song. And in Seattle, Washington a man was punched in a bar after singing "Yellow."

I don't mean to make fun of violence or death but since my take is that people that reacted to the above mentioned songs in a violent manner were already a few fries short of a happy meal before hearing the songs. Rather than discuss what in these songs lead to violence let's discuss annoying songs that could cause us to do something mildly violent like ruin a CD.

First up on the list is "It's A Small World." While I love the Disney ride the song drives me absolutely nuts. I hear someone sing that song and I can't get it out of my mind for a couple of days. The following web site agrees with my number one choice:

http://stereogum.com/archives/the-22-most-annoying-songs_005188.html

Second up is a song that isn't on their list. "Don't Worry Be Happy." Damn I hate that song. For crying out loud I am happier when I worry!

Third on my last would be "Macarena," I don't know how to do the idiotic dance and have no desire to learn it.

Fourth would be "Lying Eyes" by the Eagles. Leave her you doofus and quit singing about a wife that cheats on you. Move on for heaven sake.

Fifth on the list would be "Louie, Louie." OK, I admit this one might be jealousy. I mean these guys wrote a song with only five or six words in it and made millions. Heck even I can write a song with five words in it!

What is on your list of annoying songs that might cause you to do damage?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'll sure agree with you on some of your choices for annoying. Small World is definitely an earworm, universally acknowledged as such, I believe.

Macarena is on my hate list because my former neighbors used to play it at deafening volume over and over. I rejoiced when they moved out.

A note: La Virgen de la Macarena is what they play at bullfights, and I love that piece.

Don't Worry, Be Happy is just kind of dumb. Don't know Lying Eyes. Louie Louie is weird in that it's become so famous. Why??

I'll stop here because since I hardly ever listen to pop music, I can't think of any others that annoy me. Except... the noise that annoys me most in life is other people's music, especially if it contains a bass line that I can't seem to shut out of my house. I don't perceive it as music, just as an incessant annoying thumping.

Lady DR said...

I really don't "get" the killer song thing and it appears, from the article, it's more an issue in Malaysian areas? I've heard reports that "rap" can incite violence, because of the words, but who knows?

It's a small world drives me nuts simply because once it gets started in the mind, it's hard to shut off. I really can't think of any particularly annoying songs, but I'm not thinking well, anyway.

Latest email - Mom's home, b/p and sugars normal, enzyme levels normal, gall bladder determined to be culprit. Surgery isn't an option, unless it becomes an emergency - would have to be the "old-fashioned" invasive type for several reasons and the risks are moderate to high with a 15% or better chance of her having a post-op heart attack. Prayers are needed that she doesn't have another attack. The nasty surprise was the discharge instruction she see her primary doctor immediately about a nodule found on the lung during the chest x-ray, something that was never mentioned nor did they do any further scans on while she was in hospital. More prayers, please, that this is something like scar tissue from one of her bouts with pneumonia. We won't know, until Deb gets records released and an app't with their regular doctor.

I was a lousy hostess last night. Crawled into recliner when game started, wrapped in shawl, left Himself to be host and dozed my way through the game. Have spent much of today napping, which is probably what I should have done yesterday, rather than fussing with cleaning and the like. Have hopes of being human tomorrow or, at least, closer to.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry it took so long to respond but at the end of work days lately I am kind of exhausted and pretty much fall asleep the minute I turn on the TV

I would dislike your neighbors not only for the music they chose but for their rudeness.

Interesting information about La Virgen de la Macarena.

I think Louie, Louie was The Kingstons only hit. What makes it even more weird is that they are/were from Portland.

I am with you about then noise, I hate cars that play the music so loud you can hear it for a thousand miles.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Not sure if there will be a post today. I usually do my posts for the week on Sunday when I am working but this Sunday was so full didn't have time.

I think the killer songs are an issue in Asian countries but it is spreading to areas like Seattle.

Good about your mom's vital signs. I always think at any age surgery should be the last option. Of course you have all my prayers and good thoughs and I did pray when I was at church Sunday for you, your mom, and your sister.

When people invite themselves over my take on it is they deserve what they get. They invite themselves over it becomes a self-hostess kind of thing.

GET BETTER!!

Bill