Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Sunday

Today is my summary of Super Bowl Sunday and it is all about communion, the game, and the ads. For those of you that don't give a rip about any of that here are a couple of things to keep you busy:

First please welcome Naomi to the blog. I've posted some things from her before. She is an outstanding woman and fits right in here with all of you. She figured out how to post and you can read about her catch here:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2010/02/great-catches.html

Next up is a fess up. Got to fess up to providing wrong information on a blog post some time ago. Brad & Angelina have not split. In fact they are suing the publication that put out that information:

http://www.popeater.com/2010/02/08/brad-pitt-angelina-jolie-lawsuit/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popeater.com%2F2010%2F02%2F08%2Fbrad-pitt-angelina-jolie-lawsuit%2F

Now on to Super Sunday and it was super too. I had a really nice day. First I took Mom to church. It was Communion Sunday and boy have things changed since I took Communion just a couple of years ago. Maybe the new procedure has more to do with the minister being blind then it does a change in church policy. They did refer to where you took communion as the "communion table". Instead of several people lining up to take communion you went to the communion table one at a time. The communion prayers were said to the whole congregation first. Before even starting the Communion prayers the minister invited everyone that wanted to take Cmmunion to feel welcome to do so. She stated that since it was God's table and not the church's table that everyone there was welcome to participate whether or not they were a member of the church.

After Church I went home for a while and then over to my Sister's house for a game party. Sis had hot dogs, salsa, chips, salads, chili, and I brought cupcakes and a veggie tray. I really enjoyed watching the game with family and friends. What a great game! This game was the most watched TV show in history beating out the final of Mash. The Saints won one more than a game. Both the City of New Orleans and the team came from the depths of dispear to a pinacle to be proud of!

Some of the commercials were great. Some of the commercials stunk. My winners were Doritos, E-Trade, Snickers, Google & Denny's. I didn't agree with the USA Today admeter rankings. I did like the Snickers ad with Betty White that came in first in the USA Today ranking but I wouldn't rate it first. My favorite ad was a Doritos ad with a little boy saying to his Mom's boyfriend, "Two things. Don't look at my Mom and don't eat my Doritos." I ranked the Denny ad with the chickens in the top 5, the admeter had them at 18. The E-Trade ads with babies were just damn cute. Google made my top five because their ad was very professional and there was no doubt from beginning to end what product was being promoted. Anheuser-Busch was fourth in the USA Today ratings and sixth in my rankings. There is just something adorable about a horse and a bull growing up together as friends.

Now the bad. Godaddy.com ads are absolutely atrocious. They are extremely sexist. It made me really lose a lot of respect for Danica Patrick. We already know about my flexible ethics and I would have been less offended at Patrick posing in Playboy then I would have at her appearing in the Godaddy.com ads. At least in Playboy she would have been promoting herself instead of a sexist website. The ads show Patrick in a tub without much on talking to a "godady" girl who pulls open her top and says "show me more." Who is in charge of Godaddy.com anyway, Charlie Sheen? On a final note. The Focus on The Family ad was just there, it rated 54th out of the 65 ads that ran during the Super Bowl. If the mood strikes you, you can watch any ad here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2010admeter.htm?csp=hf

Hope you had a great day this last Sunday whether you watched the superbowl or not!

4 comments:

Pat said...

So glad to hear about Brad & Angelina. {g}

It sounds like your Super Bowl day was a great one. I managed to miss the whole thing, but I've heard some talk about the ads. I went to the site you provided, and they only had a few of them. Doritos, hmmm... guy who's mean to dogs likes Doritos and gets his comeuppance. Not my fave. The one you mention sounds better.

I hated the Betty White one. I really liked the Green Police, though somebody in the paper hated it. Go figure.

I never heard of GoDaddy before, but I just now took a look at one of their "too hot for tv" spots. It wasn't. What it was was too long and too stupid. It wasn't the one you mentioned, just the first one up on their site.

Who is Danica Patrick? Oh, never mind. Just looked her up.

Pat said...

PS: Sorry, got sidetracked by commercials there.

Welcome, Naomi!

But Bill, I still can't read comments on old posts for some reason. I managed it once, but don't know what I did differently that time. I've tried it by your link and by the archive list, and neither one will give me comments.

Don't work too hard, now! If you are too tired to post, just skip it. We'll live and be glad to see you whenever you get time to do it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am stumped about the comments. I guess after tax season I will just have to come down there and we will figure it out together.

All but one of the videos are on the site but it is a hard site to navigate. The first time you click on the link it takes a while to download all the ads, the second time they appear to the right. And they have a down arrow that is really tiny to find that if you click on the down arrow it will bring up the videos of the ad. The Doritos one that I liked was number 11. One of the reasons I liked it, is that it wasn't done by an ad agency it was submitted in a contest by normal folks and was one of the winners that Doritos picked. The Google ad is 43 and the GoDaddy ad is 63. As a one man boycott I have never been to the GoDaddy website. They are known for very sexist ads. They started the super bowl ads three years ago and they get worse every year and never rank high.

Danica Patrick in some ways is a ground breaking woman auto race driver. She is maybe 30? She just started to race on the Nascar circuit tthis week.

I didn't really hate the Betty White ad, I just thought it was overated at number one.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Naomi lives in the Portland area and is just one of the most supportive people around. If she posts frequently you will notice a very nice intelligent woman.

Work is actually going pretty well. Google has feature where you can schedule posts and that is what I did last week. I wrote all the posts on Sunday then scheduled them to post automatically. It actually worked pretty well. But this week my Sunday was so mapped out that it put me behind!

Bill

PS

I've actually produced more at work then I did for the first month last year.