Monday, February 1, 2010

McUpdate

I may be sued for today's blog title but I am hoping that you will all stand behind me as I go screaming to fast food jail. I would appreciate it if you would consider taking up a bail collection if that happens.

Today I bring you an updated story that really isn't all that surprising. At least I don't find the uproar against a corporate giant surprising. Instead I find it extremely predictible.

Remember the young woman that had a charity event and tried to trademark the event using part of her last name? Not surprising is that she has become an Internet sensation. Facebook groups have been formed to support her. A boycott is being formed. There is no doubt that McDonalds is losing the public relations battle. The young woman and her attorneys have asked several times for an in person meeting to a come to friendly solution. However, the hamburger giant is not coming out of hiding for a face to face meeting. Instead they are issuing written responses. During the story there is mention of another lawsuit that I find incredible. Quoting the story:

"To top things off, the story comes even as McDonald's was ordered to pay big in a Dutch court for firing a worker over serving an extra slice of cheese. The court ordered McDonald's to pay the worker the salary for the remaining five months of her contract: a total of 4,265.47 euros."

Seems like a warning would have been sufficient. That extra piece of cheese ended up costing the idiots in charge a ton. These two stories make me wonder if McDonalds just thinks they can push around the little guy anytime they want. That sounds abusive to me. You can read the updated story here:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/01/27/mcdonalds-may-win-in-court-over-teens-charity-name-but-losing/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl6|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F01%2F27%2Fmcdonalds-may-win-in-court-over-teens-charity-name-but-losing%2F

Are you surprised about the continuing saga and the backlash against McDonalds? What about firing an employee for using an extra piece of cheese? Firing a little extreme? When you were out in the work force what were some of the abuses by the corporate big wigs that you witnessed? Did you ever say "cheese" and get fired?

4 comments:

Pat said...

First, I think the whole thing is stupid. On both sides. Why does she need to trademark McFest anyway? And why is McDonald's dumb enough to contest one measly McTrademark? Is Mickey D's afraid it will open the floodgates?

Besides, my understanding of the use of Mc in front of anything means that it's the cheap and unpalatable version. Why they want to keep hold of that is beyond me. They should be suing anyone who uses it to denigrate a product. If they have to sue anyone.

Second, I looked up the cheese slice story, and while it's equally stupid to fire someone over a piece of cheese, the employee did break the rules. She gave a co-worker a cheeseburger costing a few cents more than the hamburger he'd paid for, and the rules prohibit any gifts to family, friends or co-workers. Again, fear of opening the floodgates of free cheese slices? Or is the company just tonedeaf to how its actions appear to non-McDonald's aficionados?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think the attorneys on both sides are giving their clients bad advise. I am guessing that the young woman's attorneys told her if she was going to sell products in the charity's name that she needed a trademark. She didn't seek one until she decided to sell products. And I am guessing that McDonald's attorneys are telling them not to let go. Attorneys get involved there goes the common sense.

I am tickled and impressed that you looked up the cheese story. It sounds even worse. The gift of a piece of cheese gets someone fired? That's just nuts.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Okay, Bill, we'll start a bail fund (g).

The whole thing is ridiculous, as Pat says. I'm still not sure I understand the whole McFest issue,but I do agree with the Scotsman, who said you can't trademark "Mc." After all, I'm a member of the McTavish clan. Am I going to be sued if I wear a sweatshirt that says "McTavish and proud of it?" I understand you can trademark "McDonald's" as a restaurant name, but what are they going to do if there's a clan get together and they all wear teeshirts with "McDonalds of (wherever) on them? The whole country (world?) is suit crazy and it's not gaining anyone anything.

The extra slice of cheese? Okay, the employee shouldn't have done it. But firing? Why not just doc his/her pay for the cost of the cheese and give him/her a week's suspension as a warning to others? I saw a lot worse abuses in the corporate and government world, with little to no backlash, believe me.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I appreciate your help in starting a bail fund.

I don't understand how you can trademark "MC" either.

I didn't know you were McTavish.

I think even a suspension would be to hard on the employee. I do like your idea of having him pay for the cheese. which would be less than twenty cents. They ended up paying him a lot more than that!

Bill