Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Pajama Game

Before writing about the Pajama Game I thank DR for her blog entry yesterday, it was so well received that of course she is welcome back anytime! If any of you would like to try your hand at blog posting please let me know by email at williamjdahn@aol.com. Email your post to me and I will turn the blog over to you for a day.

Next up let's read about the cutest damn kid on the face of a planet.

http://www.mercycorps.org/bijagutoff/blog/19833

Several merchants in his neighborhood saw what the little boy was doing and provided with a space, pastries, and raffle prizes where Amiri hosted friends and neighbors all day last Saturday. They raised well over a thousand bucks and my guess is they made their goal five grand. Priceless.

Now on to the pajama game. According to an article that I read people are wearing pajamas to the grocery store, to drop their kids off at school, and even on airplanes. OK, confession is good for the soul. Have you ever wore pajamas outside of the four walls of your house? To the grocery store? To the doctors office? To pickup your mail? To get to Starbucks for the morning shot of coffee? On an airplane?

I've never have or never will I wear pajamas on an airplane. If I am going down in a plane crash I don't want to be buried in pajamas. I have, however, worn pajama bottoms to the grocery store, to pickup my mail, on my morning walk, and to Mom's. Now the fashion mavens have designed a new product for people like me that are to lazy to put on a pair of jeans before going out. Check out this link:

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/02/04/pajamajeans-the-next-snuggie/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stylelist.com%2F2010%2F02%2F04%2Fpajamajeans-the-next-snuggie%2F

Now come on all you outstanding women and men out there let's confess, who of you have taken the easy route at times and went out amongst the public in pajamas? At forty bucks a pop are you a likely purchaser of pajama.jeans? Or is this just a passing fad that is meant to play to our desire to be comfortable?

On to a more somber note. One of the designers mentioned in the above article recently committed suicide. Alexander McQueen was despondent over the death of his mother. The above article and my blog post in no way, shape, or form is meant to diminish the loss of this great designer. You can read the story of his death here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250249/Alexander-McQueen-commits-suicide.html

10 comments:

Pat said...

First, that kid is definitely the world's cutest. And big-hearted, too.

About the pajama jean... they really look quite nice, but I don't wear pajamas, except once in a while to lounge around the house. Seems like a few years ago, wearing pajama pants everywhere was a fad, but I didn't indulge.

I did a time or two drive my daughter to elementary school in robe and nightie of some kind, but otherwise have only worn such stuff to go out and get the paper in the morning. I don't think I've ever spent $40 on a pair of jeans, nor will I start now, but they do look good, and comfy, too. If they dropped the price 50%, I might consider getting a pair.

As to McQueen's suicide, either he was totally weird or there were other reasons. I'd guess the latter.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The little boy's fundraiser last Saturday went really well.

The PajamaJeans do look pretty comfortable but I agree with your forty bucks is a pretty stiff price to pay. I don't normally wear pajamas at my house either but when I stayed at Mom's I did regulary.

McQueen was definitely a little off but it had to be tough to lose both his mom and mentor so close together.

Bill

Lady DR said...

The little boy is definitely a cutie and a real example to kids and adults of all ages.

The pajama jean -- probably not. I won't pay $40 for a pair of regular jeans and, quite frankly, I can't imagine jeans that are comfortable for sleepwear, regardless of the hype. I can't recall every wearing PJs in public, although I've a vague of driving someone somewhere in my housecoat, but no idea who/when/why. Your post was ironic, though, as I was in Walmart a couple days ago and a woman was shopping in pajamas, complete with houseslippers. Kind of blew my mind. Don't wear PJ's, prefer sleep shirts and it's easy to slide into regular jeans and shoes, with the shirt over or tucked in.

Only time I've been "public" in sleepwear is when I put my housecoat on over my sleep shirt to take the dogs for a late night or unusual early morning walk at a campground. However, since half the women you see doing the same duty are also dressed in housecoats, nobody thinks much of it. And I do sit outside the RV in my housecoat for my first cup of coffee most mornings. Again, pretty common practice and treated as normal. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm traditionally garbed if I leave the property for any reason.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am guessing the little boy is starting a lifetime of giving and kindness!

I had guessed you as someone who wouldn't go out in her pajamas. Sometimes when I see it grocery stores it bothers me but sometimes it doesn't. And I will admit that I have encouraged my mom to go out in pajamas when she is a lot of pain and it is to hard for her to get dressed.

I think we all agree that they to reduce the prices of pajamajeans!

Bill

dona said...

Once again, that is the cutest kid! What an example he sets for all others.

Going public in pj's? Not me. I, like DR, am fully dressed before I go out. I may let the dog out in my pj's if they can't wait, only to get dressed before I let them in! I also don't wear conventional pajamas. I also like to wear the Large T~shirt so as to put on the pants and be mostly dressed if need be in hurry. In the winter I don a pair of long johns too! (is this too much information?)

I can remember when living at home my sister and mother always going out with bobby pins or those big butt rollers in their hair too. I couldn't believe how women could do that either. Now I see everybody young girls and older women in the pajama pants...and also the house slippers..What is the deal I wonder? In my mind are they just too lazy to get dressed? Or do they not have anything better? Or is it just comfortable?
As for jeans? I love jeans. I am a jeans and T~shirt gal. But I am a bit conservative and won't pay more than $10-20 for a pair of jeans. (Or is that cheap?)

So I am sure I won't be purchasing the pajama jeans at 40 bucks a pop............but I do love me a COMFORTABLE pair of jeans........:)

Lady DR said...

Dona, how I chuckled at your message, while I related. Actually, I have been know to go to the mailbox in my housecoat, if I'm having an "indulge me" day, but given none of our neighbors are near, who'd know?

NO, no and no the bobby pins and rollers. Not seen outside the house. Blame it on my midwestern provincial upbringing on a farm. A trip to town (or off the property) was An Event. Dress up.

Like you, I"m a jeans and tee shirt person, but then jeans can be dressed up or down, depending on the top, adding a blazier, whether shoes are tennies, sandals, boots or "dress, the cut of the jeans and so forth. I probably wear jeans 85% of the time or more. And I love cororouy bibs and bibs cut in "non-traditional" styles. Country girl at heart.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I also chuckled at your message, I love your sense of humor.

I suspected you but one not to go out in pj's, seems like all the women here get dressed before going out and well us men sometimes don't.

I've been known to wear long Johns too and there is no such thing as to much information on my blog!!

I've never heard them called butt rollers before.

I wear pajama bottoms out simply because I am to lazy!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

One of the women that I dated once asked me "don't you ever just wear jeans?" I didn't then but after that question I've trying a little harder to wear them. However, I've never been to store with my hair in rollers.

Bill

dona said...

Bill, they are not actually called Butt rollers....they were very large rollers and I wanted to say "Big Ass Rollers" but didn't want to taint your blog with such words. I really don't talk that way or use such words normally but these rollers were so large well....And since you had a sister, I was sure you or some others here may know what I was talking about. I mean these rollers were huge. My sister and her friends even would go so far as to use empty OJ cans for rollers too! I never got that. Wow these memories are making me feel old!

Oh and I don't think you are lazy....Just making a fashion statement. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Big ass are OK words on my blog, the only words banned from my blog start with a C, an F, and an A. Other than that I am pretty games.

Pajama bottoms and two different shows, not that would be a fashion statement.

And I knew what rollers you were referring too, the picture you painted did have me envision them!

Bill