Thursday, February 18, 2010

Man Makeover

I don't wear tailored clothes. I like a nice dress shirt and pressed pants. When I go to church it is suit city. I would never go on a date wearing flop flops or shorts unless it was a beach date. I would dress to respect both the venue and the woman I was dating. I even wear cologne. But makeup? I don't think so. Now I am asking you if you think I should do what is mentioned in the following two article, a man makeover.

The game plan:

http://www.asylum.com/2010/02/17/a-day-in-the-life-of-sexy-me-one-writer-undergoes-a-man-make/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asylum.com%2F2010%2F02%2F17%2Fa-day-in-the-life-of-sexy-me-one-writer-undergoes-a-man-make%2F


Women's reaction:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/02/18/note-to-men-do-not-attempt-a-man-makeover-makeup-isnt-sex/

After reading the article I am sort of leaning against it. OK, that is an understatement, there is no way in hell or heaven that I am having a makeover that involves going out in public wearing makeup. I have, however, worn makeup when I was in plays in drama class in high school.

I think I'm middle road territory. I think the before of the guy is a little to scruffy and rumpled. I am suprised women like that style. I think the after went to far.

Your take and advise on this would be dearly appreciated.

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

There's a man who comes to the basketball games wearing full makeup. We call him "Make-Up Man" or "Mr. Eyebrows". He's a well dressed businessman, but definitely a joke with our group.

Also, since we got HDTV, I've noticed how much makeup some of the "talking heads" wear. The host of NOW on PBS (the name escapes me at the moment) wears some of the thickest pancake makeup I've ever seen. Yuck!

And I don't care for it on women, either.

Pat said...

I'll pretty much go with you and the Lemondrop girls. If I had to choose one, it would be Alan 1.0, though his hair could use a little work.

They way overdid the eye makeup in the makeover. Plumping the lips was also overkill. The beard and the hair? Maybe a little better, but any barber could have done that.

I'm with Mary Z about men on tv wearing makeup. I haven't gone HD yet, but I dread what I may see when I do. I particularly loathe obvious lipstick on men.

Lady DR said...

I think we're reaching consensus here (g). I prefer Alan 1 to Alan 2, but best would be something in-between. The make up was definitely not for him and I can imagine why he got the looks he did. I understand male make-up for theater, movies, acting of any sort (which includes newsmen), but otherwise I guess I don't "get it."

Oh, and there's a little piece of wisdom received when I first started wearing make-up and underscored when I attended some seminar or other: If you can tell someone is wearing make-up, they're wearing too much.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

That boggles the mind why a well dressed business man would wear makeup.

I've also noticed the makeup and Costas is one of the worst.

And I am with you re women and makeup, a little is fine, but to much looks cheap.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I also thought his hair was a little scruffy and a haircut would have been in order but the rest of it? No way.

Overall though you will like HD when you go to it, is my guess!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think we definitely reached a consensus. I'm with you about middle of road being the best!

I love your take about wearing makeup, if you can tell your wearing makeup, its to much. Good advise!


Bill