Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Advise, Investigations, & A Special Day.

It has been a tough few days and like I posted on my Facebook account I'm wondering what I did to tick off the higher ups. In the last five days I received an IRS notice, my computer crashed, and when I took my car in for its normal service it needed brakes. Now I need breaks.

I think I found some interesting stuff for you today. The first thing I am going to do is give you advice because I am an advise giving kind of guy. Get your flu shot. The following article gives you another reason why:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/20/study-getting-a-flu-shot-lowers-heart-attack-
risk/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk2%7C17175


No excuses now get off your duffs and get the shot. Most likely your insurance will pay for it. If you decide not get one yourself consider getting one for your elderly relatives. I'm getting mine Saturday.

We all kind of got a little upset with Glaxco, so today lets get upset with Johnson & Johnson. The following article will tell you why we need to get upset with them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100917/ap_on_he_me/us_j_j_recall_probe;_ylt=Aqn1oga4FYOx.OrSoNaM.vWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNua3BqcWt0BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwOTE3L3VzX2pfal9yZWNhbGxfcHJvYmUEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM3BHBvcwM0BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDam9obnNvbmpvaG5z

Secret recall? Are you kidding me? If this proves to be the case I hope they get a fine of all fines.

Did you know what a special day this is? Read the following article and find out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-shriver/why-world-alzheimers-day_b_732003.html

The author is Maria Shriver the first lady of California. Alzheimer's doest distinguish between the rich and poor, it effects everyone. Some of the statistics that she states in the article are mind boggling.

Your comments about any of the above three articles are appreciated. I always appreciate your insights and your thoughts. The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Nannie Helen Burroughs.

10 comments:

Pat said...

The flu shot article is a little frustrating. Is the benefit because you're more likely to get a heart attack if you get the flu? Or is there something heart-protective in the shot itself? I've been routinely getting my flu shot every year, so won't change anything, but I'd sure like to know more of the story. I guess they don't know yet.

The J&J story is sure interesting. Stealth recalls, huh? If it was only for a slight difference in potency, I won't get excited. But what if they do similar stuff when they find something truly dangerous? Do we trust Big Pharma? Heck, no!

Any push to deal with Alzheimer's is a good thing. I suppose all the publicity given to dealing with various diseases is good, but I sort of get tired of it all. Still, if it generates funding for real research and not just lip service, let it continue. She's right, of course, that we need more flexibility in the workplace with so many women doing the jobs and dealing with elders and children at the same time.

Lady DR said...

Oh, Bill, I hope the black cloud hovering over you goes away soon! I think the stars are out of alignment. If misery loves company, MA called to say someone backed into their RV at a Flying J parking lot and did about $4K in damage. Fortunately, the rig is still drivable. Yesterday, Himself's brother called to say he'd just gotten a call that his boat, which was docked at a marina, is sitting on the bottom of the lake, for reasons unknown. Is Mercury in retrograde? (Hugs and wishes for no more bad news at your end).

I find the J&J "silent recall" appalling and wonder how many other companies engage in the same thing? At least, if one knows there's a recall, you can check what you've purchased. With a silent recall, there's no public knowledge of a potential problem. This sounds like we're back to greed and the bottom line and forget the average individual.

Shriver's article was fascinating and I'd like to read the full report. She brings out some strong stats and information, beyond the issue of Alzheimer's. Most of us here know the demands of caring for an elderly parent, some with Alzheimers, some with poor health. I don't know that any of us are raising children and caring for an elderly parent at the same time, but I do know there are a lot of cases like that. I like her pointing out that it's wonderful to help the world, but we need to take a close look at what's happening with/to women here in the US and recognize that what happens to women affects family, generations, business and the economy. While her lead is Alzheimer's, her point is much broader. It's time we became more than the "silent" majority. I hate to sound sexist, but if women ruled in Congress, I think we'd be a lot better off as a country and population.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Maybe it is a combination of the shot and not getting the flu. I agree with you the study should have gone into more detail.

That was the part of the article that bothered me, maybe it was a slight difference but that seems to me that if they would do it for a slight difference they would do it for greater ones.

I kind of tire of it too but I thought because of the day and how well written the article was it was worth posting. I'd also like to see companies allow employess to use their benefit plans to cover a caregiver they way they do with baby sitters.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

That is awful and an expense MA and TJ didn't need right now. The boat at the bottom of the ocean is very troubling and no doubt expensive. There is a full moon, maybe that is why we all are suffering.

I would think J & J isn't alone in their silent recalls. It does strike of greed.

I also though Shriver's article was fascinating. I'd also would like to read the full report and am going to be looking for it when it comes out. I think Dona falls into the catergory of garing for the last generation and the next generation with her dad and her son. If women ruled congress no doubt a lot of things would be better but some things might not be. However, it is time for them to get their chance because men have had it for centuries and look where that got us.

Bill

Lady DR said...

, it is time for them to get their chance because men have had it for centuries and look where that got us.

I rest my case.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm not arguing that women don't desere a chance or that things would probably be better with women in charge than they are now. I'm arghing that women will make mistakes too. Maybe a different type of mistake but still mistakes.

Bill

Pat said...

Happened to be talking with a friend today about politics. She made a rather astute comment re more women running for office. She said we should supposedly be proud that so many women are running now, but when you look at a lot of them -- Sarah Palin, Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina in CA, that super-weird O'Donnell person in Delaware (who I remember quite well from her former appearances on "Politically Incorrect"), it's hard to summon up pride in women's achievements.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Interesting comments. I wonder if things would be different if women were the majority in Congress rather than the minority. Now maybe thay have to be a little crazy to be noticed, sort of any press is better than no press.

And there are the Susan Collins and the Hilliary Clintons that were wonderful and influetial senators.

I do think that if they have witchcraft in their background that might be a negative.

Bill

Pat said...

Funny line about the witchcraft. {g} Yeah, I'd assume it might be a negative.

And also true that there are quite a few smart and capable and non-wiccan women around. May they only eclipse the crazies!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Interesting article in the USA Today about women candidates and how the advise they are getting is wrong. They are told not to respond to attacks when they are called "prostitute" etc. and that hurts them. I might post a link today on the blog.

Bill