Monday, September 20, 2010

Research, Educated Women, & The Constitution.

We are really getting down to the bare bones with the Who Am I, we have used over four hundred women in history and learned so much about women that impacted history. Pat suggest that I cutback and only do them three or four times a week. I'm going to take her suggestion and now Who Am I will be on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I think the following news is good for those that suffer from asthma. The study found that Spiriva is as good as the more expensive Serevent in treating asthma. You can read the study here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100919/ap_on_he_me/us_med_asthma_study

What do you think of the study? I was kind of sorry to that Glaxco made the research harder and more expensive. They probably did that to protect their own interests. I think it would have been great PR for them to endorse the study and at least act like they were trying to find a cure or improve treatments for asthma. I guess I'm to much of an idealist.

More good news. After forty years the world's women are now more educated and have doubled the average number of hours they spend in the classroom. You can read the article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100916/cm_csm/326179

I found some of the information in the article kind of surprising. Like the relation between education and mortality rate. What is your take on the article?

Last up is a little bad news. Not many Americans understand the constitution. Harry Potter is seventy-five thousand words and the constitution is only seventy five hundred words yet we understand the former more than the later.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100917/cm_csm/326383

Fifty-eight percent of us know that Bill Gates founded Microsoft but only two percent know that James Madison is the father of the constitution. Did the school system forget to educate us about the constitution? Tell me what you think about the article.

Looking forward to Dancing With The Stars tonight. Hope this has been and will be a great day for you.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1883 and died in 1961. We moved from Virginia to DC where despite not having a college degree I sought a teaching position. I didn't get the teaching position so I became associate editor of a Baptist newspaper. While there I took a civil service exam and received a high rating but I was still refused a position in the public school system. I took a bunch of temporary jobs including janitor and bookkeeper until I accepted a position as secretary of the Foreign Mission Board of The National Baptist Convention. During my tenure I began planning a professional and trade school for women and girls in Washington, D.C. The school opened in 1909 with me as the first president. I adapted the motto "We specialize in the wholly impossible" for the school. My students became self-sufficient wage earners and expert homemakers. I believed that industrial and classical education were compatible. I required my students to pass African-American history before graduating. I never married and devoted my whole life to the National Trade and Professional School For Women which was named for me three years after my death. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

The study? It seems promising, but I wondered about the concerns that had been raised about Spiriva and then dismissed. I also note that the makers of Serevent "declined to participate", no doubt not wanting competition. Sheesh, politics is everywhere, as is the money trail. Yes, you are probably too much of an idealist.

The other article bears out what I've been hearing. In fields such as medicine and law, women often now outnumber men in the college courses. I see there have even been gains for women in Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and the UAE. But I wonder what kind of real gains there are, particularly in Saudi Arabia. I heard a statistic recently about how much better countries do when they treat both sexes equally and don't restrict half of their possible workforce. Well, duh!

I have to admit I'm not well-educated about the Constitution or which amendment is which, but I found it quite amusing that that Karl Marx quote, which is kind of the basis of Communism, was thought by nearly half their respondents to be in our Constitution. I don't remember being taught much about the Constitution in school, but I seem to have picked up more knowledge than a lot of their respondents.

Lady DR said...

The article on the asthma research is good, but somewhat disconcerting. It appears, from what's said, it's another case of greed overriding everyone's best interests, that Glaxco wouldn't cooperate. They can give all kinds of reasons, but if they sincerely believed Spivero (sp?) had problems, I'd have thought they'd be willing to invest to prove that.

I'm glad to see women getting more education and the positive effects. However, like Pat, if they aren't allowed to use that education, due to restrictions in their countries, do the benefits extend to the overall economy?

The article on the Constitution is a sad commentary on our educational system or the retention of issues taught by rote or the interest of our folks in the basis or our nation or the credence we place in what we hear and see in the media. How can we learn from history, if we don't know it? In helping a friend study for his citizenship test, I discovered a lot of obscure information, some of which I've probably forgotten, but some of which I'm pretty sure I was never taught or asked to think about and consider. I think the article was a bit of a wake up call, to remind us that it's difficult to hold our leaders to the founding document of this country, if we don't know what it says.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I also wondered about the concerns and who they were raised by. If I was im charge at Serevent I would have encouraged the study and like DR said maybe it would have helped to prove their concerns.

When I first started out in accounting and went to seminars there was maybe one or two women there. Now at the seminars it is about equal.I don't think we will ever have true equality in our lifetimes in the middle east.

I know very little about the constitution but I certainly knew that the Karl Marx quote wasn't in it. I laughed at that and then shook my head. We were never taught the constitution in school.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Glaxco lost a lot of my respect from the article.

With the women and education I go back to the phrase baby steps. Women become more educated in the United States, Canada, England which leads to better jobs and then the jobs move them to the Middle East where they influence them there. We only had two hundred years of tradition to overcome here, they have thousands of years of tradition to overcome there. More women moving there, more education there and equality follows, it just takes time.

In today's society the media has become our education and since the news is polarized it is also often wrong. Your story about helping a friend study for citizenship makes me wonder if we all shouldn't be required to take that test either in school to graduate or to get our driver's license.

Bill