Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hurried & Scattered.

I'm hurried today. It is only a little after eight and I've already been over at Mom's for two hours to help get tonight's dinner ready to put into the oven and now am back to post my daily blog entry before getting in the shower. Then it is off to the airport to pick up my special company. I'm so looking forward to seeing them. The rest of the day will be chewing the fat at Mom's. If I don't respond to blog comments until late tonight or tomorrow morning you will understand why! There just isn't a time for a Who Am I today, yesterday's answer was Mary Ann Shadd Cary.

Because I'm hurried I am also scattered. It always happens, doesn't it? One always follows the other? Since I am scattered so is today's blog entry.

First up is what drivers to that bothers most of us?

http://autos.aol.com/article/aggressive-driving/

While the things in the article do bother me what bothers me even more are; not using the turn signal, following to close, parking in handicap slots, and speeding up to get to a red light or stop sign. What do drivers do that want you to give them a piece of your mind?

It also bothers me when people don't was their hands in rest rooms. Does it bother you? According to the following article you should be glad you are in our lovely country:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/14/bathroom-spies-say-americans-wash-hands-more-since-swine-flu/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl4%7Csec4_lnk1%7C170588

it isn't surprising that more people are washing their hands now nor it is surprising that women wash their hands more than men. Anything in the article surprise you or are you going to wash your hands of the whole thing?

Don't you wish we could have do overs? One man gave people a chance to share what they would do over if they had a second chance:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/13/secret-regrets-what-one-thing-would-you-do-over-if-you-could/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%7C170595

I was really touched by some of the ones listed in the article and I was also surprised how many woman wanted do overs with the men they either ended up marrying or moved on from. I really wish the article would have also listed the top twenty regrets for men. Here are my regrets:

Never marrying. That exotic dancer from years ago, I should have ignored her background and followed her out of that restaurant.

Not traveling right after college.

Not treating my dad a little better during the past three years of his life.

And ten thousand more. What are you do overs? Regrets?

I'm looking forward to your answers! Your comments are always appreciated.

10 comments:

Pat said...

All the things mentioned in the article and that you mention are annoying and sometimes frightening. Let me add one that I've encountered twice in my shiny new(er) car in the past month. The people that don't look carefully when they back out of parking spaces. In the first instance, I knew the guy. A group of us had just had lunch. I pulled out and was ready to go forward when he started pulling out across from me. I leaned on the horn, but he doesn't hear very well and all I could do was sit there and watch him come. He stopped less than a foot from my passenger door, and I don't know if he ever saw me. It was terrifying in a shiny car that I'd only had for a couple of days.

Second time was this morning in a parking structure, but I saw her backup lights come on and I stopped far enough away that she'd have had to try hard to hit me.

I hardly ever see people NOT wash their hands in a public restroom, but I did see an actual friend of mine the other day just pass her hands through the running water and that was that. I probably won't share finger food with her anytime soon. {g}

Have to admit I don't wash after handling money, though.

Interesting that almost all the 20 regrets are "romantic" ones. I should probably choose not being more focused in my college years, but things turned out well for me without a degree, so I can't complain. Almost everything I might say I regret had unintended good consequences along with some bad ones, so I'm not sure I regret anything enough to go back and change it.

Lady DR said...

Hon, I hope you're enjoying your day and do NOT worry about getting back here with comments. We're big kids and you deserve a day and a night off.

Drivers - I'm with you on turn signals, tailgaiting, parking in handicap spots. My major issue is the large number of folks who sail through bright red lights, an epidemic here. Cameras at intersections would pay for themselves in short order.

Hand washing has been a habit of mine, but even more so since caring for Mom at the hospital and rehab facility and seeing so many people catching "bugs" and viruses and such. It's a habit Mom instilled in us from the time we were toddlers. The one thing that bothers me is people who don't wash their hands before they eat or begin preparing food.

As to the do-overs... I would have found it a lot more interesting to read do-overs from a mix of men and women over the age of forty-five. Almost all the entries involved romance and very young women.

Do I have regrets? Like Pat, maybe some. There have been occasions when I regret not going to college (because I was going to be married), yet I've had some fascinating jobs and positions and my own business for over twenty years. There are a couple instances where I later learned I'd inadvertently hurt someone and I regret that. However, if was given the option to go back and live my life over, I don't think I'd take it. Everything that has happened has made me who I am and a lot of "bad" stuff actually created "good" stuff, even if it took a few years. Yes, there are some changes I'd like to make, but since they involve other people changing, as well, that's not going to happen and I've come to accept that.

Lady DR said...

I give up. My comments posted twice and I've tried everything to delete the second one, but I've forgotten the magic word. Sorry.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Will post a summary of the visit this afternoon probably around three.

I agree with you about some of the auto things being frightening. Since I almost got hit at the airport yesterday by a doofus backing out of a parking spot I'll agree with you.

Because of the gender I often see men not wash their hands and even worse their sons even when the dads are with them. Not a way to change the system, if they are taught that early it doesn't matter.

The romantic do overs is why I kind of wish they would have listed men's regrets too, to see if we had as many romance regrets as the stronger sex. I wonder if men's reqrets would be more along the lines of I didn't buy that porsche.

And I with you overall most things turned out well.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

It was a great day. Cousin Belva and her husband Don drove up from Albany (70 Miles) to see Frank and Dixie. They added to the fun. Will report on the visit sometime this afternoon.

Boy do I ever agree with you about the red light thing. Three cars seems to be the magic number. Three goes go through a light after it turns red. It is a death waiting to happen.

I also became a lot more aware of washing hands when caring for dad and mom. I've seen restaurant workers not wash there hands after doing some things.

I'm with you about the do overs on both gender and age.

You have done just as well in year career without college and I am guessing better than a lot of college graduates that you knew and know.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Below the date after your message, the date that tells when the message is posted, is a little garbage can. Click on that and it will let you delete the message.

Bill

Lady DR said...

See, I thought there was a magic trick. However, there is no longer a garbage can showing after any of the messages on my screen, my own or others. Is this just me?

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sometimes the garbage disappears but after a while it will show up again. It will only show on the messages you post, you won't see it on anyone else's posts. Sometimes you have to shut off and turn off your computer for it to appear, other times you have to do a "disk cleanip"

I'm the only that can delete other's messages.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Okay, I turn off the computer every night. Admittedly, can't remember the last time I did disk cleanup.

William J. said...

Hi DR

If you have one of those security programs, like Norton, you may have automatic disk cleanups.

Even though I have Norton I still do cleanups:

control panel

performance

disk cleanup.

It really doesn't take long.

Bill