Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happiness

I'm happy today. It is getting closer and closer to my schedule freeing up and that makes me happy. The three events I have scheduled in the next two weeks make me happy. First up is the opening of football season party where reasonably intelligent men act foolish for a night. Then two days later is the company picnic for the firm that I work for during tax season. I'm happy that the partners there always include me in their company emails and events. It makes me feel wanted. Then I'm really happy that on September 15th I am going to be able to see my Uncle Frank. The one thing that both Mom and Frank want to do before they move on to the next life is to see each other. Bless cousin Dixie's heart, she is bringing her dad here. It is going to be extremely short. They will arrive on the 15th and leave on the 16th. The whole time together will be about twelve hours. That is all Dixie could get Frank to do. Better short than never. Growing up Uncle Frank & Aunt Velma were like second parents to me and their children, Denny, Dixie, Dave and the left this world at the much to young age of fourteen Debbie were not cousins, they were sisters and brothers. I treasure Dixie for making the effort. This really makes Mom's year complete. In January Mom got to see her friend and next door neighbor from long ago, Maxine, when they celebrated their birthdays together. Then in July Mom got to see her cousins at the reunion. Not to mention several times we got to have lunch with cousin Belva and her great husband Don. Looking back I couldn't have asked for more for Mom this year and when I mentioned that to her she agreed.

What makes you happy? According to the following article it isn't being successful at events, it is having close relationships. Do you agree? You can read the complete article here:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/08/31/happiness-research-shows-how-to-be-happier/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk1%7C167544

I'm not sure I completely agree. I think a combination of wins, successful relations and victories by the people I love make me happy. I also think it depends on the mood that I am in and the day of the week it is. Sometimes a piece of chocolate cake makes me really happy. Other days if I get stuck behind a shopper with sixteen items in her grocery cart in the fifteen items only line I am ticked the rest of the day.

Want to know what one researcher thinks makes the elderly happy? If you do you can read the following article and find out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100831/od_nm/us_elderly_news

I certainly don't agree with that article. I like it when young people succeed. I also like to spend time with the younger generation, it keeps me young. Do you agree with the article?

I hope today brings you nothing but happiness!


WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Lorna Simpson.


I was born in 1931 and was murdered in Brazil in 2005, many think because I was outspoken on behalf of the poor and the environment. I probably should have taken those previously received death threats more seriously. I was born in the US but was a naturalized Brazilian citizen. I helped peasants make a living by farming small plots and extracting forest products without deforestation. I also sought to protect peasants from criminal gangs who were after their plots. I was often pictured wearing a t-shirt with the slogan, "A Morte da floresta é o fim da nossa vida" which is Portuguese for "The death of the forest is the end of our life." I was also quoted as saying "I don't want to flee, nor do I want to abandon the battle of these farmers who live without any protection in the forest. They have the sacrosanct right to aspire to a better life on land where they can live and work with dignity while respecting the environment." That determination got me murdered. One morning a farmer and I woke up early to walk to a community meeting to speak about the rights for the Amazon. The farmer ran late and was a couple of minutes behind me, while he was able to see me he hid within the bushes from two armed men. I walked on and was blocked by the men. As I read the bible one of the men fired a round in my stomach and another fired a round in my back, then they fired four rounds into my head. Two men were charged with conspiracy to murder an American outside the United States. One was convicted an sentenced to thirty years. At first the second man was acquitted of the charges but on appeal he was found guilty and sentenced to thirty years. After his third trial the first man was found innocent but the third trial was later voided. A third man expected of ordering my killing was arrested and charged with murder. Despite the killing of a material witness all three men are in jail. If you don't know who I am by now know that a documentary of me was narrated by Martin Sheen. You might also think about operas and THE ANGEL OF THE AMAZON. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh that is soooo super that Frank and Dixie are coming. Is Velma coming or does she have someone staying with her?
Everone makes the effort because you and your mom are so special.
I saw my mother as often as I could(birthdays and 2 to 3 times ayr) living 1500 miles away,but We talked twice a week as did my brother,Ron, and I---So I have no regrets. Hugs to cousin Frank and Dixie(to you and your mom too-lol)
Belva

Pat said...

I'm glad you're happy today, Bill. It's good to recognize those moments. {s} I hope the visit is everything your mom could hope for, however brief.

I'm with you on the second article. It sounds like complete bull crap to me. I like young people, but given the choice of news stories to read, I might gravitate more to stories about older people, my contemporaries. I am definitely not cheered up by reading negative things about young people. What hooey!

I suppose the first article makes a decent point in that most of our really highs and lows involve other people. But note that the researchers asked about "most positive and negative EMOTIONAL experiences". Getting a promotion or a degree or recognition is certainly pleasing, but ultimately would probably not be a specifically emotional high or low. Translating that study into a person talking about their schooling or work being "not very happy" is a stretch, imo.

William J. said...

Hi Belva

I always like when my favorite second cousin posts! Someone is staying with Velma. She just won't travel.

You shouldn't have any regrets you treated your Mom like a queen as did Ron and Don too. I'd have to set you straight if you did have regrets!

I accept all hugs and mom does too!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think it will be great for Mom and Frank to see each other no matter how brief. There were really close growing up. Their dad was bedridden so they pretty much had to fend for themselves.

I had the same reaction to the second article that you did, glad to know I am not alone. I also gravitate to stories about the elderly especially health related ones. I'm also not cheered up by reading negative stories about the young or anyone else for that matter.

I glided over the emotional experiences comment. I do, however, remember the day I passed my CPA exam as being one of the five most emotional days in my life.

Bill