Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

The Good:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100901/ap_on_he_me/us_med_tb_test

I am really excited by the above article. It looks like TB can be diagnosed quickly and correctly and then just as quickly treated. What do you think of the test?

The Bad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100906/ap_on_he_me/us_med_healthbeat_blood_pressure

I'm disappointed in the above article that the hormone test isn't going to used anytime soon when it could do so many people so much good. I do, however, think the above article is a reminder for us to take our meds to our next doctor's appointment and then review all are medications with him or her. What is reaction to the article?

The Ugly:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/02/brain-exercises-may-speed-up-dementia-in-old-age/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk3%7C168135

The above article is disturbing in many ways and it seems to go against all the prior research about dementia. I'm coming down on the side that I think the above article is bull and I'm going with the previous research over this one. What are you going with?

That is all for today. A short day today because I'm taking Mom to lunch and then I have the guy party tonight. I will be out of touch from about four to ten tonight at the party and then will go directly to Mom's from the party to spend the night. One freaking busy day! Hope this is a good day for you.

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer was Alice Waters.

I was born in 1867 and died in 1940. I was a nurse; social worker; public health official; teacher; author; editor; publisher; activist for peace, women's, children's and civil rights; and the founder of American community nursing. I was born into a comfortable family, my dad was an optical dealer and my mom was a housewife. I attended an English-French Boarding and Day School for Young Ladies. After graduation I tried to enter Vassar College was denied for being to young at age sixteen. I then went to a training school for nurses and then took course at a Woman's Medical College. After working at an orphanage where children were kept and conditions were poor I started to teach a home class on nursing for poor immigrant families. Not long after I became a visiting nurse. I worked in this area for forty years. During the time there I authored two books. Not content to improve people's heaalth I taught women how to cook and sew, provided recreational activities for families, and got involved in the labor movement. Out of her concern for women's working conditions I helped to found the Women's Trade Union League. I lobbied against child labor laws, to allow all children to attend school. Another of my concerns was the treatment of African-Americans. As a civil rights activist I insisted that all classes that I taught be racially integrated. An advocate for women's suffrage and for peace I organized New York City campaigns for suffrage, marched to protest the United States’ entry into World War I, joined the Women's Peace Party and helped establish the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom. The New York Times once named me as one of the twelve greatest living American women and I later received the Lincoln Medallion for my work. I never married. I died in 1940 of a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of seventy-three. A few months after my death twenty-five hundred people filled Carnegie Hall to hear statements from the president, governor, mayor, and others testifying to my ability to bring people together and effect change. If you don't know who I am by now you should probably visit THE HOUSE ON HENRY STREET and then answer the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The good: This is great news for people who get tested. I think the real problem is that not enough people can afford to be tested, let alone see a doctor, in areas where this disease is prevalent. Good news, but how useful is it in the long run in light of the factors?

The bad: I hate to sound cynical but how many doctors take the time to really evaluate and pay attention to individual patients? My experience has been, not a lot.

The ugly: Oh my but is that really ugly! Seems you can't win, doesn't it? But as one person in the article stated, at least they suffer for a shorter period of time. We hope!

William J. said...

Hi Maryanne!

Always nice to see you here.

Everyone check out Maryanne's blog at:

http://its-all-in-the-perspective.blogspot.com/

It is beautifully written with some outstanding pictures. I think you will enjoy it.

I agree with you about the good, what good is it, if nobody can afford it?

The bad, I am as cynical as you and think the only way doctors evaluate patients is if their patients make them. That is what we need to remember, we have the power to make the doctors treat us properly.

The last one, I just think their research is faulty.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Good: I think the test is great news and how it can be quickly implemented. The sooner people are diagnosed, the fewer people they can infect.
Bad: Like you, I wish they could implement the hormone testing sooner, with more firm research. And I agree with you and Maryanne about dealing with doctors. As we've all discussed before, we better manage our own health, because the medical folks really aren't doing a great job of it.
Ugly: I'm not liking this at all. It flies in the face of "use it or lose" theories, which are pretty consistent, when it comes to other muscles and body parts. As you say, it also goes against almost all the prior research on dementia. I'm going to continue with my mental "exercises," thank you very much.

Maryanne, good to see you here, as well as in my office, kitchen and craft room (g).

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Got some time before heading out to the part so thought I'd respond before heading out. The good news is Sis spending the night at Mom's so I am releived there. My weekly duties began tomorrow.

I want people diagnosed for TB yesterday, the less people that have it, the better chance that I will avoid it.

As patients we have to be responsible for our own health care otherwise HMO's make the decisions for us.

I'm going to keep using what I have available to me and whatever happens, happens.

Bill

Pat said...

I'll just agree with all of you on the stories. They Tb test for a lot of jobs, and for volunteer activities, I find. It's an easy test (for the patient), but I guess it takes a while for results. Quicker the better, for sure.

I have some sympathy for doctors these days, but I have a lot more sympathy for patients. The tendency seems to be to haul out the latest and greatest pill at the first sign of a problem, then pat you on the back and make a six-month follow-up appointment. No time to talk, behind schedule, lots of patients waiting.

The third article is definitely ugly. I'll ignore it and continue to just live my life, teasing my brain now ad then but not making a fetish out of it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

With the new health rules and because it would be cheaper to prevent TB than treat I think insurance companies would be willing not only to pay for the test but tor require it.

Do I ever agree with you about the doctors tendency to treat with drugs and although you didn't say it I will overmedicate their patients.

I'll proudly ignore the third article with you.

Bill