Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Roadblocks To Happiness

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Mary Evelyn Previte who wrote the book Hungry Ghosts, therefore the clue about reminding you of a starving Caspar.

Feeling happy today? No? You're feeling sad but want to feel happy and just don't know how. I have just the article to let you know how to be happy:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/27/happiness-roadblocks/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C173772

How many roadblocks to happiness do you participate in? Me? Believe or not, only one. I think of others, I know life isn't fair, I usually accept responsibility instead of passing the buck, I know life isn't perfect but believe or not I'm not a bottom line person. I usually don't even consider the bottom line in my emotional decisions. Then why am I not completely happy? Are you happy?

Now, I can assure you I wouldn't be happy if I had a knife in my head for even a minute let alone three years. Read about this amazing story here:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/27/man-has-knife-removed-from-head-after-three-years/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C173772

Apparently the knife blade was lodged in a place where if they removed it there was risk of brain damage. He took the risk because of headaches. What would you have done? Risk the surgery? Go with the headaches? I'm not sure but I think I'd go with the surgery.

Speaking of unhappiness I'm not very happy that Oregon drivers came in forty-third among states as the best drivers. It makes me even unhappier that Washington rated six or seven slots higher than Oregon. Everyone knows Oregon's football teams and drivers are better than Washington's. See how your state rated here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/10136_worstdriversinamericawhichstatehasthemostaccidents;_ylt=AoH70NFxbrXCbrLNHlQcH8Os0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTU0c2s2ZzRtBGFzc2V0A2RhaWx5YmVhc3QvMjAxMDA5MjgvMTAxMzZfd29yc3Rkcml2ZXJzaW5hbWVyaWNhd2hpY2hzdGF0ZWhhc3RoZW1vc3RhY2NpZGVudHMEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM4BHBvcwM1BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDd2hpY2hzdGF0ZWhh

I was kind of stunned that there were over five thousand deaths a year due to distracted driving like texting. What surprises you?

Have a happy day.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

I'd say I'm neutral today. And I'm not sure how each individual defines happy. Contentment and fulfillment, I think were the words they used. So, some days, more than others. I don't think I consistently participate in any of the roadblocks, although some of them do come up on occasion. Usually, I catch them in my Morning Pages, the negative thoughts or feelings of unfairness or lack and that lets me consciously work at turning those thoughts around. I guess mine would be something along the lines of "life's unfair," with qualifiers. I know that and accept that and I've more blessing than most people, so my thing is more a case of "why do I have to cook every night?" Or do the laundry or any number of tasks that need doing and I don't want to do. Not sure how that translates.

Like you, I think I'd go with the surgery, if I had full knowledge of the pros and cons and possible ramifications.

SC came in at number 23. In reading the article and seeing the slide show and probably causes, one thing I noticed was that weather wasn't considered a factor anywhere in the study. Many of the slides showed snow, ice, rain-slick roads. A slight miscalculation on dry roads under sunny skies can often be less hazardous than the same on snow, ice, black ice or rain mixed with oil and exhaust. Having lived in IL, MN and AK, then FL and SC, I tend to feel weather/road conditions can be a major contributing factor.

What didn't surprise me was the number of times failing to obey traffic signals and signs contributed.

Pat said...

I think it's pretty funny that Democrats seem to drive better than Republicans. Funny but somehow not surprising. That site seemed to rank all the worst ones, but I didn't see any ranking of the good ones. Plus, I'd like to see a list, as I don't have time to click through each of 50 states. Did anybody see where CA ranked?

I don't think I'm consistently guilty of any of those roadblocks to happiness. So why am I not happier? I don't think anyone is happy all the time, and I do think it's important to recognize the moments when you are and not just let them slide by.

If I had a knife in my temporal lobe, I have no idea what I'd do. Maybe it would depend on the severity of the headaches. But if I was having it removed, I'd sure get my affairs in order first and pick out a good "home" for myself just in case.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm neural today too. Good point about each individual having their own definition of happiness.

Also a good point about the driving statistics and how winter would change them. Just a simple matter of stepping on your breaks could cause an accident in the winter but be easy to recover from in the summer. I wasn'tn surprised about the traffic lights or the stop signs either.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

California was 40. You don't have to click through all states. The article is confusing but here is what I did. Clicked on the blue link in the article. Then it went to a page with one state on. On their is link that says "view all", click that on. The their are number over to the right at the top of the page, 1,2, 3, 4, 5. Ten states per page. You don't to view any of them. Click until you find California. It is on page 4 and their is a video there about California.

I also think it is funny that Dems seem to be better drivers than Pubs.

I think DR are nailed the happiness article with the comment that happiness is really an individual thing and we each define it differently. I also agree with you that you take moments, both sad and happy, as they come.

I would follow the same game plan you would to get the knife out of my head. Make arrangements of liftetime care or a funeral then hope for the best!

Bill

Mary said...

You just slide that stuff in there to see how often I'm reading, don't you? Sniff.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I just couldn't help myself. What I really think is that the Huskies are improving but it will take two or three years to get back to the program there were under Don James. They will get there, it will just take times.

And I think Washington Drivers are better freeway drivers than Oregon drivers but we get you on winter driving.

Bill