Thursday, September 9, 2010

It's All Good.

Been going strong since yesterday. The football party was last night and I didn't get home until a little after ten. This morning I was up before five to head over to Mom's to spend the day. After posting this I am heading over to Mom's this morning and will be there before I head out to the company picnic. The picnic is from two-thirty to four-thirty. Of course I will make and set out Mom's and the caregiver's dinner before I head to the picnic. After the picnic I will either head home or stop by Mom's depending on how Mom is feeling. Being so busy I decided what I need was to remember the good. To share the good. That means all of today's articles are good. It's all good today.

I never have liked the phrase, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished." In fact I think just the opposite, that good deeds are contagious. That is what happened with the first good deed in the following article:

http://www.gnn.com/article/93-dollar-club-raises-100000-for-second/1255483?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C169167

What do you think of the article? Have you ever helped a stranger? When you did, did it lead to another good deed? I've helped many strangers and it has almost always lead to more good deeds. I love the above article because the person originally helped paid it back with a bonus.

Speaking of strangers helping strangers what about strangers helping a ninety year old veteran celebrate his ninetieth? I love the following article on so many levels. It makes me smile.

http://www.urlesque.com/2010/09/07/followup-operation-birthday-boy-william-lashua/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%7C169208

Does the article make you smile?

The final good story of the day it is about a company giving back:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100908/ap_on_he_me/us_j_j_un_donation

The story would go from good to great if American women and children were included in the donation but I applaud the company for the effort they are making.

What's good in your life today?

Off to Mom's, I will respond to comments tonight when I get home. I also apologize for how poorly today's entry is written, I just don't have the time to edit it today!

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer was Mollie Beattie.

DR found a quote that Mollie had said, here it is, "I've always worked hard never to allow my lifestyle to rise to the level of my income or my expectations of my career to be one of an endlessly ascending trajectory. I've worked very hard on those two things so I'm always free to go, because I know where my lines are. If you have to put it on the line, you have to put it on the line. There's a place past which it isn't worth it."

Love the quote.

TODAY'S WHO AM I?

I am an Australian physician, author, and anti-nuclear advocate who has founded several associations dedicated to opposing the use of depleted uranium munitions, nuclear weapons, nuclear weapons proliferation, war and military action in general who was born in 1938. I received my medical degree at age twenty-three and later joined the staff of the Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston, and taught pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. Following the Three Mile Island nuclear accident I left my medical career in order to concentrate on calling the world's attention to what I refer to as the "insanity" of the nuclear arms race and the growing reliance on nuclear power. I founded the Women's Action for Nuclear Disarmament (WAND) which was later renamed Women's Action for New Directions. For my work I received the Humanist of the Year award from the American Humanist Association. I also founded the Nuclear Policy Research Institute, headquartered in Washington, DC. A 2004 documentary film by my niece provides a look into my life. I have been awarded 20 honorary doctoral degrees and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I was awarded the Lannan Foundation Prize for Cultural Freedom and The Australian Peace Prize. IF YOU LOVE THIS PLANET, you should be able to answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Love the $93 story! I can't think of a single time when I've even had the opportunity to do something like that, but I'll try to be more alert for opportunities after reading this. And yes, I smiled at William's party report.

Nice of J&J to do some good works. I just looked, and their CEO makes $14.63 million a year. Wonder how much he donates.

I also love Mollie Beattie's quote. We should all keep an eye on where our lines are.

The good thing in my life today is that the only real commitment I have is a mom visit. So I'm doing laundry and odds and ends and just being happy that I'm not committed to doing much else. Your life on the other hand looks a little over-committed, judging by that getting-up-before-five comment. At least the picnic sounds fun. I hope you have a great time there.

Lady DR said...

The $93 story is really intriguing. One good deed and look where it went! Kudos to each and every one of the individuals, but especially to the single mom who wanted to know if it was okay to donate $9.30!

Enjoyed the vet's birthday party. Sounds like a nice mix of several generations and as if some of the "youngsters" got a better idea about "oldsters."

Good for J&J. Like you, I wish some of that money and effort was going to the many moms in the US who are in desperate need of help. We seem to put the world first and our own people last too many times.

What's good in my life today is that I hope I've done all necessary to stop the sudden flea infestation, which seems to largely affect Spook. Everything vacuumed with the special attachment on the vacuum, including furniture, then everything from furniture to carpets and throw rugs sprayed. Hopefully, Himself will hopefully get the yard sprayed tomorrow. Changed the flea preventative for the dogs. The vet said a lot of people were finding Frontline ineffective and going back to Advantage and also said flea infestation has been a major issue this summer, with hot weather and so little rain. Hold good thoughts this all works, please.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am also going to be more alert at opportunities to help others after reading the $93 story.

14.63 million? That is almost criminal. Hope he donates a good share of to charity.

Visiting your mom though is a big commitment and I admire you for it.

My overcommettment is only for a week. Sis left Wednesday morning just at a time when I had two parties to go to and then mom wasn't doing well at the same time.
I'm already slacking off, don't have to be to Mom's until nine.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I also loved the single mom that gave 9.30 that to her was a million dollars, she did what she could, what so many others never do.

That is exactly what I liked about the 90th birthday party, young and old enjoying each other and just having a good time.

I agree with it should be us first and other countries second.

Yea to the flea cleansing! When I had Katie Advantage worked great. Of course I am holding good thoughts that fleas are history!

Bill