Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Potpourri.

Wanted to remind you guys to check out the comments from Monday, Dona added one for DR and Mary added one for Dona.

Miscellaenous stuff today. I am calling it potpourri. First up, does money make people happy? The first reaction all of us will have to that question is no. The following article would disagree with us?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100906/ap_on_sc/us_sci_money_can_buy_happiness

I don't think being rich would make me happy but if I had enough money so that there weren't any limitations in my life that would most likely make me happy. But if I was filthy rich I'd probably give most of it away. How about you does money make you happy?

What would you want to see if you visited Germany? The beautiful outdoors? Well here is a guided tour you may be interested in:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100903/od_nm/us_toilet_tours_odd

So when you visit Germany is the above tour going to be number one on your list of tours to take?

I am a fan of lists. I love a good lists. The following would qualify as a good list:

http://www.shelterpop.com/2010/09/03/what-to-do-with-mason-jars-projects/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C168421

Are you getting rid of hand soap now? Any things that you want to add to the jar list?

I'm at Mom's today so may not respond to comments until tonight. I also have to return the chafing dishes and other stuff to the caterers today. Will report on the party later this week. Probably will report on both the guy party and the company picnic on the same day. May this be a great day for all of you!

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer, Lillian Wald.

I was born in 1947 and died in 1996. I was an American conservationist who graduated degree in philosophy and had two master's degrees, one in forestry and on in public administration. My Harvard education led me to a position I oversaw the successful reintroduction of the gray wolf into northern Rocky Mountains. Conservationists immediately embraced my appointment to that position as the ultimate victory. My grandmother was a self-educated botanist and landscape artist who knew every tree by its Latin name. I said of grandmother "Her wackiness intrigued me as a kid, she seemed a little freer than everybody else." My grandmother would be seen outside in her nightgown at 5 a.m. toting her 4-10 shotgun in search of opossums disturbing her garden. My Mom also has a fiercely independent streak and devotion to nature. As a young girl I would catch mice in the winter and make them a home in an aquarium, feeding them hamster food. In spring, when food was more plentiful, I would release them. Heading an agency was not easy for me. A few months after my arrival in D.C. I was quoted as saying "My hardest adjustment was the lack of darkness at night, living in a place that's never quiet. The confinement of it. I'm used to absolutely unadulterated privacy. That's hard. It's a real loss that I can't just wander off into the woods." During my watch at the Fish and Wildlife Service, another 15 wildlife refuges were added, more than 100 conservation habitat plans were agreed on between landowners and the government, and the gray wolf was reintroduced into the Northern Rockies. There was no television in my house, and in the living room hung a painting of a woman standing with her hand on an oak tree. The woman is depicted speaking, but instead of words, oak leaves are coming out of her mouth. The picture was titled "A Woman Who Speaks Trees." I served as the first woman director of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

I think the money article is right on. Having a good income is probably crucial to happiness and often to sense of self-worth also. Having enough money removes one anxiety from life, and that's a big one. Plenty of other stuff remains to make a person happy/sad/anxious/stressed or whatever. I do think there has to be a cutoff point. Is it $100K a year? $200K? Millions? I suppose it varies from person to person, but at some point it becomes just greed or pointless extravagance, and I doubt that makes anyone happy.

I think I'd rather see the Black Forest than a bunch of toilets, but if I had time to spare, I might take a couple hours' tour. {g}

I love the mason jar story. So many ideas. Now I need some jars!

Lady DR said...

I agree with the money issue to a point. I think the amount of money varies from person to person, but I do agree that money increases happiness when there is sufficient to pay the bills, tuck some away for emergencies, indulge oneself periodically. I also think it's the sense of security attached to sufficient income or savings that brings a larger sense of happiness, due to a reduced sense of anxiety over how to get from paycheck to paycheck or not be able to pay for something that's needed or the occasional "want." I agree with Pat - there reaches a point where income levels become almost obscene, particularly when compared to those working for the highly paid and making minimum wage and unable to provide the basics and health care for their families. If one took the huge salaries and bonuses of many large corp execs and applied it to employee salaries and benefits, I'd be first in line to applaud.

I think I'll pass on the toilet tour.

Neat article on the mason jars, especially as part of centerpiece designs and the like.

Looking forward to the report on the football party and picnic.

dona said...

I guess the money article is fairly correct. I think having enough money to pay your way/have emergency fund and have the kind of life you want would certainly make you happy. But sometimes I also think some can't handle the amount of money they have and do get greedy and only want more.

The Toilet Tour, I will pass, but it reminded me of when I had a friend from that area come visit. They were tickled at how we called our "facilities" Restrooms/Bathrooms. They were shocked that it didn't cost us anything to use them also. They had trained themselves to not go as much when out and about as the cost was too much, but while here found themselves going whenever possible to see how each facility was different. They would laugh when we asked the question does anyone need to go to the restroom. You would just hear giggles. When we asked them what they call it over there, they just said "Toilet"

Mason Jars. I have bought them, inherited them, sold them, got more, found them, canned in them, stored them, used them for all kinds of things. Right at the moment I have some stuffed with Buttons/Thread Spools/Nuts & Bolts/Pens/Crayons/Cooking utensils/Old Wooden Roller pens....Oh and Bacon Grease...to name a few. I love Mason Jars, if you aren't canning, you can use them for just about anything. Some are so pretty.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The article agreed with you re a cutoff point and theirs wass 75K which I think is pretty low in the world. And I agree with you re greed, one Yacht is satisfication, three yeachts is greed.

I'm not sure I'd every go on a toilet tour, might put the whole trip in the tank.

I am going to start saving mason jars right now.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think it we all agree on the money issue, that you do need a certain amount to make you happy but it passes on the curve from happiness to greed and greedy people are seldom happy. And I would the first person in line behind you, if ceos reduced their saleries and raised employee's I be the first person in line behind you.

A mason jar centerpiece, what a conversation piece that would be.

I will probably report on the parties Saturday or Sunday.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Do I ever agree with you re some people can't handle money. I know people that will always be broke even if they made a million a year.


I loved the facilities story!

Wow not only are you an extremely talented quilt maker you are now our resident mason jar expert!

Bill