Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Words, Weddings, & Financial Collapse

Was it pride or greed that led to America's financial collapse? The following article answers that question?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/credit/andrew-ross-sorkin-lehman-too-big-to-fail/19629341/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%7C170362

I'm not sure I agree with the article. I'm sticking with greed. Maybe you can convince me that it was a combination of pride and greed but you are never going to convince me that greed wasn't in there somewhere.

What do you think were the most used words on T.V. last season? I certainly would have never guessed:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/14/most-used-words-on-tv-reveal-depressing-trends/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec4_lnk1%7C170486

I was going to guess balloon boy or Lindsay Lohan. Do you think we are in a down cycle where most of the words that come out of TV and Radio are downers? I do.

After sharing the depressing trend on TV we need a good story. A good story and a touching one, tears aren't out of the question:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/13/dad-braves-experimental-treatment-to-be-at-daughters-wedding/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C170486

There is so much to like about the above story. That they tried an experimental treatment and it worked well enough for the father and daughter to share a special moment.

What is your reaction to the story?

My uncle, second dad, and My cousin, second sister, arrive tomorrow so I am off to spend the day at Mom's to help her clean house, etc. The caregiver did do a lot of the cleaning but there are still some things, like laundry that need finishing. Hope this is a great day for you.

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer Abigail Powers Fillmore

I'm not sure if I have been used before but Bill is in a hurry to get finished so he can take off to get to his Mom's in time to take her to the doctor so I am either new to the blog or a repeat. I was born in 1823 and died in 1893. I was the daughter of free born blacks and the oldest of thirteen children. Dad a shoemaker was also a key figure in the Underground Railroad. We moved when I was ten so I could get a Quaker education. After graduation I returned home and established a school for blacks. We fled to Canada when a law was passed in 1850 threatening to return free Northern blacks to bondage. There I founded a racially integrated school. I believed that separate churches, schools and communities for blacks would ultimately undermine the search for freedom. I campaigned for equality and integration for black people, making public speeches and addressing issues of abolition and other reforms. I married a barber and had two children with him, a boy and a girl.
John Brown held a secret "convention" at the home of my brother Isaac. In 1861 I published a tribute to Brown's unsuccessful raid. After my husband died we returned to the U.S. During the Civil War I served as a recruiting officer to enlist black volunteers for the Union Army in the state of Indiana. After the Civil War I taught in black schools in Wilmington, before moving to Washington, D.C., where I taught in public schools and attended Howard University School of Law., graduating as a lawyer in 1883, becoming only the second black woman in the United States to earn a law degree. I joined the National Woman's Suffrage Association, working alongside Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton for women's suffrage, testifying before the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives and becoming the first black woman to cast a vote in a national election. If you not sure who I am by now THE BLACK PRESS AND PROTEST IN THE NINETENTH CENTURY should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

9 comments:

Pat said...

What the heck is "guido"? The article says we all know why that made the list, but I don't. Enlighten me, please. I googled it, and found it's slang for a lower middle-class urban Italian-American. So did that come from THE SOPRANOS that I didn't watch? Or am I missing some other important piece of Americana?

On the other stories, first I'll go along with you and vote for greed, along with overwhelming conceit and the confidence that they could get away with anything.

I'm very impressed with the experimental treatment that allowed dad to be well enough for the wedding. I can imagine it's true that "there wasn't a dry eye in the house".

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I didn't know why Guido made the list but after I looked it up I did here is what Yahoo says "Guido" -- the popular but largely pejorative slang word for young Italian-Americans -- came in third due to New Jersey-centric TV reality shows such as MTV's pop culture hit "Jersey Shore."

There are about four five shows originating from New Jersey and that is a popular term there.

I agree with you re conceit and thinking they could get away with sticking it to us.

My eyes certainly wouldn't have been try.

Bill

dona said...

I agree with both of you on the greed part. It does still amaze me at the things these people are getting away with. Simply, greed.

Very touching story on the treatment for dad and the wedding. I bet it tugged at your heart something awful.

Ok, I don't know what guido is either. Never heard the word. SO I guess I am in the cave with Pat. I still want to go back and hear the words "Groovy, cool, right on, solid and hey man"! :) Stuck in the 70's

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Not that I want to go back to the seventies but I just picked up my leisure suit at the dry cleaners, fed my pet rock, and checked out my mood ring to see if it was OK to respond to your message now.

It also amazes me what people not only think they can get away with but what they actually get away with!

See response to Pat re Guido.

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks for the "guido" update, Bill. I don't watch any of the New Jersey-based shows. Not that I have anything against New Jersey, but the shows don't seem all that appealing. So Dona and I will just stay happily in our cave, I guess.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I admit to watching The Real Housewifes of New Jersey but turn it off whenever Danielle is on the screen. I honestly don't remember the term Guido in that show.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm with you and everyone else on the issue of greed driving the financial issues, both two years ago and now. Add power to that and it pretty much covers it. Pride? If it's pride in material stuff and pay, it's back to greed. Until we can remove some greed and ambition for power and get back to common sense and best interest of all people, I don't see the financial issue being resolved soon.

As to most used words... can't say, since I don't watch TV. I really didn't recognize any of them . Like Dona, although it kinda put me off when Himself first started using it again a few months ago, I prefer "cool" and "Right on" and "Neat." Call me non-progressive.

The story of the dad's experimental surgery success and being able to dance at his daughter's wedding was lovely. I love happily-ever-afters.

Lady DR said...

Duh, sent off the first message, without finishing it.

Have a wonderful time with your uncle and cousin (second dad, second sister)! I look forward to hearing about the reunion, which I'm sure is going to be great fun for all of you.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Are should I say right on!

I would have pride in myself if I fought the temptation to be greedy and was honest about what was being done. The more I think about the more I think not enough pride combined with greed lead to the financial downfall.

I'm looking forward to seeing Frank & Dixie. Depending on my schedule tomorrow there may not be a blog entry and if there is one won't be a who am I.

Bill