Friday, September 17, 2010

Brains

Today we are all about brains. Sure it is Friday and most of us really don't want to use our brains on the last day of the work week but that doesn't mean we can't learn about brains.

First up is baby brain. Makes you wonder if that is why sarcasm often rules the entertainment world.

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/ironic-language-is-grasped-by-kids-as-young-as-four/19636880?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%7C171105

I found the article pretty surprising. I wonder if now all of us shouldn't be more careful with what we say around children. I probably won't but I might feel a little guilty about it.

Next up is women's brains. The ten things men need to know about how a woman's brain works. Click on the "start here" button on the following link:

http://www.livescience.com/health/human-brain-gender-differences-100820.html

I knew some of it but it surprised me that women take more risks as they get older. I think men take less risks as they age. I was also pretty sure that one of the worst things a man can do to a woman is ignore her.

Now I am all about fairness here so I won't talk about women's brains without also talking about men's brains. The ten things that a woman needs to know about our feeble mental workings:

http://www.livescience.com/culture/10-facts-male-brains-100406-1.html

I know myself pretty well and I thought I knew my gender fairly well but I was kind of surprised at some of the things mentioned. I knew I was emotional (see yesterday's post) but now I know I'm not alone. I knew about the loneliness thing too because women have more same gender friends than men so in and out of relationships they have their loneliness covered.

Baby brains, women brains, and men brains. Which one of the articles surprises you the most? What surprises you about each of the listed brains? Any comments about any of the brains? As always I want to hear what you have to say!


WHO AM I?

I was born in 1905 and died in 1995. I was a lifelong activist most famous for founding an organization to fight age discrimination. In addition I dedicated my life to fighting for human rights, social and economic justice, global peace, integration, and an understanding of mental health issues. From my mid twenties to my late forties I taught at the YWCA where I educated women about unionizing, women's issues, and social issues. I caused controversy by starting a human sexuality class in which I discussed such topics as the mechanics of sex, birth control, sexual pleasure, pregnancy, and the difficulties of remaining single in a culture where marriage is the norm. I encouraged women to really study their own lives and their world. During World War II, I became program director for the YWCA-USO, which was a controversial career choice due to my opposition to the war. When in my fifties I went to work for a church that forced me to retire when I was sixty-five. I banded together with other retirees and formed an organization to fight forced retirements. After an elderly woman was killed and robbed of $309 after cashing a check I enlisted Ralph's help to set up a meeting with the president of the First Pennsylvanian Bank. The bank agreed to establish special check-drawn savings accounts for people over 65 free of charge and make loans more accessible to older people. I took a stance on Social Security, arguing that politicians had created an intergenerational war over federal funds in order to divert public attention from the real budgetary issues: overspending on the military and extravagant tax breaks for the rich. I am famous for the quote "old people and women constitute America's biggest untapped and undervalued human energy source." If you don't know who I am by now know that the main organization I founded has a name with a color and a cat in it. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not too surprised about the babies. They learn everything so darned fast!

Of the women's list, some I'd agree with, some are pretty sweeping generalizations, which may be true for some but not for others.

I do agree that men tend more to loneliness than women. Witness how quickly they try to get married again after death or divorce. But maybe they just want someone around to cook and wash their socks.

Lady DR said...

I didn't find any of the three studies particularly surprising, although I agree with Pat there are a lot of generalizations.

The baby/toddler issues I saw first hand with my niece and nephews. When J was just 2-1/2, he could listen to adults talking and feed back what had been said in his own words, with his own spin. Besides, how often have we heard a three year old issue a sudden "Damn!" when something doesn't go right? They're natural mimics, in many ways.

As to men and women... yes, we're different, but I think there are a lot of crossovers. I do agree that a lot of men tend to listen to a problem and, rather than empathize or just listen, immediately jump into to "fix." However, I can't point fingers, as I tend to be a "fixer" myself too often. I think men may have anxiety that's not recognized, because they hide it so well. As to risk-taking... women are more vulnerable,in terms of good paying jobs, promotions, leaving the workforce to raise children and becoming dependent on their husbands. It's only when they're older and much of the "caring requirements" are removed that they really have an opportunity to take some risks.
Yes, I do think men tend to be more lonely, primarily because many find their friends at work and that's not where they share issues and problems. I also think that men who've been married for some time rely heavily on their wives for everything from washing their socks to establishing social contacts and activities and are lost, when a divorce occurs or they're widowed. If either of these occur after they've retired, it can be worse, unless they pursued some outside interests that allow them to establish friends and acquaintances.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I just didn't think babies really understood what we were saying.

I think whenever you have lists you are going to have sweeping generalizations, but they are sort of a place to start and not the final destination.

I also think there are exceptions to every rule. You and I are perfect example of the exceptions, I usually don't fit my gender overall description and in some ways neither do you. Which, frankly, I think is a compliment for both of us!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Great story about J! I'm not around babies that much anymore so the article did surprise me.

I also think there are crossover and some of the items on the list did crossover. Like men being emotional. So are women. We are just emotional in different ways.

I am a fixer but I have tried extremely hard to correct that quirk of mine. I'm learning that often times a shoulder does more than a hammer.

Men not only rely on the wifes during marriage but their mothers before marriage so when they are alone they often are lost.


Bill