Saturday, September 4, 2010

Information Day.

Hope your weekend is going well and that it continues to be a stunning weekend for you. Today on the blog we are going to be in the information mode. My aim is to inform you and warn you about a couple of things.

Did you ever wonder what it means when you see "Grade A" on a carton of eggs? Does it mean quality? You may be surprised what it means, you will find that out here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110560/eggs-grade-a-not-what-it-seems

Were you surprised at what grade A means? I was.

Now a warning. Criminals may be in your home. Read about where they are hiding:

http://daol.aol.com/articles/criminals-in-your-home?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk1%7C168213

I don't do a lot of downloads so I think I'm safe. Are you concerned about some of the information in the above article?

Now a little health information. An amazing new test determines if you are under stress and are a risk for a heart attack.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/hairgivesaheadsuponheartattackrisk;_ylt=AibSRsnu1k9jFZSGS1.ahius0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTRmaGl0dDFtBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMTAwOTAzL2hhaXJnaXZlc2FoZWFkc3Vwb25oZWFydGF0dGFja3Jpc2sEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM5BHBvcwM2BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDaGFpcmdpdmVzYWhl

Pretty hairy stuff. I'm always glad when they find new ways to discover risks of any disease because that is the start of successfully treaing a disease. What do you think of the article? Can hair really determine if you are under stress?

That's is it for the day. I'm off to finish a couple of work projects and watch the Oregon and Oregon State games. Hope your day is enjoyable.

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was May Theilgaard Watts.

I was born in 1871 as the oldest of four daughters. My family worked on a large cranberry plantation and had written a book on cranberries in that had become the industry standard. My family was Quaker, and I was sent to school in Philadelphia. After graduating I split my time between helping out in the cranberry bog and taking college classes. Over the next several years I would improve the way that the Whitebog operated and eventually expanding the plantation to the largest cranberry operation in the state. One of my interests was engineering a way to successfully cultivate blueberries. Before that all attempts to grow blueberries on a farm had failed and farmers considered the plant impossible to cultivate. I invited an author and an expert to the farm and over the next six years we worked to make a hybrid blueberry bush. I often gave rewards to locals who would find wild bushes with large berries or a superior taste. From these samples we selected several cuts and began crossbreeding the bushes, creating several different varieties. Our farm produced the first commercial crop of blueberries under the our brand name. I formed the New Jersey Blueberry Cooperative Association in order to promote this new crop. Despite that I expanded the farm and increased business my father did not allow me to inherit the farm upon his death because I was a woman. Dad was so wrong because I became the first woman member of the American Cranberry Association, and the first woman to receive a New Jersey Department of Agriculture citation. After losing the farm I formed my own corporation and started to prepare local holly and Franklinia, a rare type of magnolia, for cultivation. I helped to found the Holly Society of America. I am one of four American botanists that helped save the American Holly plant from obscurity. I died of cancer in 1954. If you haven't figured out who I am by now maybe you should hang out a the HOLLY HAVEN where my good work was done. Who Am I?

7 comments:

Pat said...

Not surprised about the egg grade. I don't particularly look for it, but I do open a carton to make sure none are broken. Also not worried about P2P file-sharing, as I don't do that. I worry about identity theft, just like everybody does. Seems entirely too many places want my SS number. I don't worry much about anyone getting into my computer, since I use Linux. They can'd do any real damage unless I'm logged in as "root", and I hardly ever am.

Interesting about the cortisol test, but how useful is it, really? Don't we pretty much know how stressed we are? And usually why? If we can do something about it, we do; mostly we can't.

Hope you have a nice and relaxing day. Let the work projects go until Monday and just enjoy the games. I'm taking it easy, too, recovering from a cold or flu that laid me low for a couple of days.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you about both the eggs and the p2p file, I'm not going to worry about either.

However, I do think that a lot of people are in denial where stress is concerned and the hair test could give them something tangible to make them face their health problem.

Relaxing so far but I want to be caughter up with all my work before Sis leaves for Utah next week. Plus Oregon is ahead 59-0 at half time so I think we are safe there!

Bill

Lady DR said...

We’re back home, the rig is unloaded, food put away, will attack clothing and other such next, but wanted to sit down with a glass of wine and relax with friends and catch up. It was an interesting couple days.

Happiness depends a great deal on social contact, I agree. I think there’s also a need for achievement, but achievement is best enjoyed with a friend or relative, at least for me. Same is true of milestones.
I don’t know how the Germans qualify older people, but I know that most of us here enjoy hearing about the success of younger people. And Mom, at 91, loves stories about such successes. I wonder if it depends on the basic self-esteem of the older person involved?
I think the car sweater is a hoot! What a wonderful way to bring generations of creative folks together.
The text message? You can’t fix stupid. Unfortunately.
While Mom was here, I slept with the portable phone by the bed. I think that’s what caregivers do . Now, no phones in the bedroom.
I actually hadn’t thought that much about eggs and “Grade A.” I usually inspect for uniform size and any cracks before buying a carton and usually boil eggs or scramble them. After the recent scare, the local grocery posted a sign stating none of their eggs came from contaminated stock.
Like you, I think I’m safe on the personal file sharing stuff. I even discourage clients from sending ms through email as attachments. Then again, I’m so computer illiterate when it comes to this stuff, who knows?
The hair study is interesting. I do know that when I complained at one time that my hair wouldn’t do what I wanted, no matter what, a hair dresser asked me if I was under stress, saying stress, like any kind of illness, can make hair unhealthy and unmanageable. Pat, you’d be amazed at how many people really don’t recognize they’re stressed or why. Yes, most of us here do, but I cannot tell you how many people talk to me (I seem to be some kind of magnet) about how they’re feeling and when I suggest stress, they brush it off as not a possibility, when it’s obvious that’s at least part of their issue. I sure hope you’re feeling better at this point.
Bill, I’m hoping to see a report tomorrow about the visit with Uncle Frank.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Welcome back!!

I'm with you that happiness is dependant on one thing but is a combination of several factors.

My Mom also is in here nineties and when I told her of the study she scoffed, she loves it when yuonger people succeed. It very well could depend on the self-esteem and maybe even the German Culture.

You almost have to sleep with the phone by the bed if you are a caregiver.

Stress effects every part of your body in my humble opinion so it doesn't seem that unusual for it to cause hair problems. I'm with you on how many people don't recognize stress, my sister is under a lot of stress and denies it.

Uncle Frank and Cousin Dixie will be here 9-15. I will definitely write about it on the blog.

Bill

William J. said...

Pat

I meant to also wish that you get better! And that the damn flu/cold doesn't return.

Bill

dona said...

Hi Guys, I remember reading something about the Grade A thing too. I guess I am not too worried about it as I also just open the carton looking for broken or dirty eggs. As for The file sharing thing, I worry about anything anymore and that is just one more thing to worry about. I don't do any of the things listed but have still had "intruders" get into my computer. I don't put it past anyone these days getting into your information via doctors and hospitals. I find it ridiculous how much information you have to give to these places only for them to place it online/nobody writes things down on paper anymore.

I thought it interesting on the cortisol test too. I believe all the things that stress can do/as I saw my mom go through it through the years. I am one of those people that have always denied stress, until recently..:)
I have noticed my hair falling out too, I didn't notice that on the article, but I think that is surely one of the symptoms of stress. I have hair longer than my bootie and you can find it anywhere in the house lately. :( Maybe I should pick some up and take it in to be analyzed?

Get better soon Pat, and Glad you are home safe DR. And Bill hoping you get all your projects done and the visit from Uncle Frank is a good one.

William J. said...

Hello Dona!

I've also had break-ins on my computer which is why I pay bills the old fashined way and don't do online purchases where I have to use my credit card. I don't really need to worry about anyone stealing my identity because nobody would really want to be me. I also think they ask for to much information. I once was going to enter a contest on Top Chef and they wanted my cell phone number, no thank you.

I hope you do get the cortisol test. I didn't realize your hair was that long but I love long hair.

Bill