Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ahead Of Schedule Upate

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Mary L. Cleave. I know I said that Update Day would be every other Sunday but so much happened in the last week that I am going back on my word and for the second Sunday in a row we are having Update Day.

Last week started Sunday with a Labor Day party at sister's. Monday was laundry day and work day. I completed two work assignments for Mark & Paul. Tuesday when I woke up I realized my tags for my car expired that day. I quickly dressed and headed out for the DEQ smog center. In Oregon you do everything at one place, if your car passes the smog test they give you the tags right then and there. Sometimes the longest line at the DEQ center is on Tuesday. They are closed on Monday so Tuesday is their Monday. I lucked out because this Tuesday was the first day of school for most of Oregon, the line was really short. My car passed, I paid the ninety-eight freaking dollars, and got my tags. Writing this I just realized that I haven't put them on the car yet! I really am an incurable doofus.

Tuesday night was the football kick off party. The food was delicious, the conversation never stalled, the guys were nice, and we all thought we did well in the fantasy football draft. This is an unusual group. In attendance were Dave owner of the heating & cooling company where we had the party, Greg a retired paralegal, Randy a pharmacist, Bill a court reporter, Tom an attorney who works for Ted who is another attorney that was there, Doug VP of Purchasing at Kaiser, Jared owner of a window tinting company, Adam the manager of a popular bar that one night a week has line dancing classes, Jay a CPA, my brother an attorney from Wyoming, and yours truly. I got home a little after ten. To save money rather than have the caterer pickup the chafing dishes I chose to return them the next day. I was up until midnight cleaning those damn things. Next time they pick up.

Wednesday morning my sister and her husband took off for Texas. My nephew, Robin, is retiring from the air force and his parents wanted a tour of Fort Hood and to see everything before he retired. They will be gone a week. That puts the responsibility for Mom back squarely in my hands. I was up at five Wednesday morning and at Mom's by six to spend the day with her. We played some Scrabble, took off and did some errands together, I cooked her both a dynamite lunch and a dynamite diner. I got home at seven that night pretty exhausted and hit bed early.

Thursday morning I was up at four-thirty and to Mom's at five. Mom and I played a few games of Yahtzee. Then I had to run a couple of personal errands. To Rose's to get the cake for the company picnic and to stop by Mark & Paul's to drop off the completed work assignments. Then back to fix Mom lunch and make dinner for her and the caregiver. At one-thirty I took off for the N & Company, company picnic. I really love that they include me in their company events. I'm not an employee, I'm only there three months a year, and am part-time while I'm there. Most firms wouldn't even consider inviting someone that fit that criteria. The food was really good. The people working there were really nice and fun to talk to. Being who I am I thanked them for including me and the response was, "we want to make sure you come back." When I left there I was reminded of that famous Sally Field Oscar acceptance speech. Isn't it weird that I don't think the work that I do there is all that good and I can do better. Yet they think my work is outstanding. Maybe I need to consider how hard on myself I am.

Friday was grocery shopping for Mom's house and my house. I took mom out for Tacos for lunch. Then we spent the afternoon playing Scrabble. I made sure her and the caregiver had dinner before I left and I made it home by five. Saturday I was over at Mom's at ten. I actually got to sleep in! Mom and I went out for lunch, then when we came back to Mom's I shredded a bunch of Mom's documents. She removed the staples from them, I looked them over, and shredded the suckers. After an hour of shredding Mom went in and took a nap. I cooked pork roast for dinner for her and the caregiver that night. I set up two plates, pork roast, string beans, cantaloupe, and ice cream and put the main stuff in the fridge and the ice cream in the freezer. All they had to do when they were ready for dinner is to Nuke it. Then I went home and got home in time for the Oregon-Tennessee game. Oregon won.

This week? Today is breakfast with Ted and the guys. Then to Mom's by one for more shredding then on home to start getting my house ready for some special company this week. Tomorrow is paying bills, finishing the housekeeping, and if I get caught up a relaxing movie. Tuesday is taking Mom to the doctor. Wednesday & Thursday my Uncle Frank and My cousin Dixie are going to be here. Not really uncle and cousin, more like second dad and second sister. I'm so excited about seeing them.

That was my week. How was your week? Tell me everything. Dirty little secrets are always fun to hear. The blog is now yours, post anything you darn well please! I absolutely love hearing about what is going on in your life. I'd also love it if you have been reading the blog for a while and haven't posted that you step up to the plate and introduce yourself!

Off to breakfast. Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

6 comments:

Pat said...

Put those tags on! I once got stopped for no tag. I had paid the registration on time, but they had neglected to send me the tag, and I didn't notice. In the end, I didn't have to pay the ticket since I could prove I was paid up, but it was a hassle to straighten out.

Your football group sounds very eclectic and fun. As to the other party, they invite you because you're fun and they like you, and yes, you should consider trying to be less hard on yourself.

I think you should find a caregiver that cooks.

Sorry, no dirty little secrets here, unless you count the masses of used Kleenex in my trash this week. Nose still running, but getting a bit better each day.

dona said...

Gee Whiz Bill, Just reading about what you did last week wore me out, let alone what you have planned this week!!

I agree, you are too hard on yourself, I think any company would be lucky to have you for any amount of time!

I am also wondering how the caregiver gets away with not cooking. What exactly does she do? I think you are the caregiver for not only your mother, but the caregiver as well! You are just way too nice. How is it someone hasn't plucked you up yet?

Pat, glad to hear you are doing better. Guess we all should've taken stock in Kleenex last week?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

On my to do list tomorrow is putting the tags on. I don't have to go to Mom's at all tomorrow so it is a catch me up day. I remember your tag story, thank goodness you didn't have to pay the penalty. I do have the tags in the car, just not on the license plates.

On the caregiver Mom hired her on the cheap. It is a second job for her. She lives about fifty miles from Mom's. Mom's is her second job and is only a mile from her regular job. They made a deal she could stay at Mom's and in return she would take care of Mom. Normally you pay a hundred dollars a night for stayover, Mom pays her forty dollars a night pluse a place to stay so she doesn't have to drive two hours to work every day, and it does include meals. She does fix meals some days. But she is a lousy cook and a slow cook. Mom has diabetes and has to eat on schedule. The caregiver doesn't get off of work until five and she gets to Mom's shortly after that. It takes her two hours to fix a bowl of cherios. So either sis or I have the meals prepared so mom can eat on schedule, not get a low blood sugar bout, and the caregiver just has to nuke it or heat it. Even then it takes her a half of hour. Sis and I don't want Mom eating at seven at night. There is the full story!

I'm glad you are getting better but I'm kind of worried about you, the cold seems to have lasted a pretty long time. I hate that when it happens to me!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

It was an unusual week, it slows down late next week.

Thanks for the nice comment, it made my day!

See my note to Pat. Basically she is there for Mom in case of an emergency and so mom doesn't have to spend nights alone. I have been after mom for years to suck it up and spend nights alone, she will try one night and never do it again. I really think mom needs someone during the day to fix meals and houseclean and not at night. But I'm overruled.

Someone hasn't picked me up becasuse I am poor and ugly and have no sense of humor.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Good grief, you sound like the Energizer Bunny, with all you had going and have planned. Yes, get the tags on your car. Like Pat, we paid the price for not having ours - not in dollars, but in time and hassles.

I agree with the others. Your football group sounds like a lot of fun and very eclectic. Since Adam owns a bar with line dance classes, you've no excuse for not at least giving that a try (g). Of course the company wants you at their picnic and wants you back!

As to the caregiver, sorry to hear you were overruled on one that would cook during the day and stay nights. Does your mom have any idea how much time you spend doing domestics for her, things someone else could be hired to do? Is she fearful of costs or have you spoiled her?

Given how long I've known you and the fact I've met you in person, I can attest your are not poor or ugly or lacking a sense of humor! If I wasn't happily married, I'd be after you!

NO dirty secrets. Spent a day doing all the necessary things to fight a possible flea infestation, which involved vacuuming any and everything fabric, spraying same, moving sequentially through house, as dogs can't walk on any carpet until spray is totally dried. Today's excitement was vacuuming (has to be done every other day, until we're sure the flea preventatives are working) and discovering a snake trying to crawl under the front door and into the house. A baby, but still a snake! They guys decided it's a boa constrictor or constrictor of some sort. TJ decided to make it a pet. (Shudder!!!!!) Now, I need to find out if it's "legal" to have one as a pet in SC. There's also the fact that where there's one baby, there are likely more and,probably, a mama. I am not happy with this discovery. I do not DO snakes.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Just a busy week that all came at one time, sis leaving, football party, company picnic. I had nothing to do with the scheduling! Now things are winding down and I can return to my boring life.

The tags will be on my car tomorrow.

I'm not sure I can stay awake ling enough to take the line dancing classes! They also give all country and western dance lessons.
Here is the web page for the bar Adam manages.

http://www.bushwhackerssaloon.com/

I honestly don't think mom needs anyone to stay nights. Sis lives two doors down. I'm four miles away. She can dial 911 in an emergency. I think rather than spend forty bucks for someone to sleep she should spend forty bucks for somebody to be there during the day.

Mom was spoiled before any of us kids had anything to do with it, her mom and my dad spoiled her. She knows how much time I spend running errands for her I just don't think she cares as long as her needs are filled.

I'd definitely let you catch me!

I hope you got rid of all the fleas! Vaccuming can be fun, especially if you have one of those new hand free vaccums and you just let it go.

I'm glad the snake was at your house and not mind, I'd been out there in a flash. TJ is crazy!

I'm in the do not do snakes catergory too.

Bill