Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Being Schooled.

Second Day at Mom's. Looking forward to being home early tomorrow. I am going to try to get home by six in time to watch the Oregon-California game.

Today we are going to school. First up is a school where you can't say bless you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/29/vacaville-students-lost-2_n_987930.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk2%7C100

Next up is a school were you can't wear a rosary necklace:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/04/elizabeth-carey-nebraska-_n_993958.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl23%7Csec1_lnk2%7C10127

Finally we are closing with a little geology. I hated Geology in college but you had to take it in college to graduate. Even accounting students had to take it. That was so if while we were sitting at out desks someone threw a rock through the window we could identify the rock. But now that I have grown up a bit I can of like to look at geological formations. Like the stunning ones in the following article:

http://www.bing.com/travel/content/search?q=Mysterious+Sights%3a+Salar+de+Uyuni%2c+Bolivia&cid=msn1200187&form=HPTRAV>1=41000

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Marilyn Ferguson authored yesterday's quote. "Big doesn't necessarily mean better. Sunflowers aren't better than violets." was authored by an American novelist, short story writer and playwright born in 1885 and died in 1968. Her novels were especially popular and included the Pulitzer Prize-winning So Big (1924), Show Boat (1926; made into the celebrated 1927 musical), and Giant (1952; made into the 1956 Hollywood movie). Ferber was portrayed by the actress Lili Taylor in the 1994 film Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Don't know what to think about "bless you". I usually say "Gesundheit", which I guess means the same thing. 25 points off a test seems like a lot for something that's kind of second nature and IMO hurts nothing. I totally agree about the Poway teacher not being allowed to put up signs about God in the classroom.

I'm also more or less opinionless about the rosary necklace. I guess if it's really a gang sign kind of thing, it should be banned. Otherwise not, but why can't people just quietly observe their faith without having to advertise it?

Great photos in that geology site! I'll be passing that one along.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am glad you are passing the geology photos along. I loved the site.

I think it was kind of harsh to take 25 points off for a sneeze. I also agree signs about God in the classroom are inappropriate and probably falls under separation of church and state.

I think the girl should have been allowed to wear the necklace. No harm, no foul.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm here, just feeling a bit buried at the moment. Points off a test for saying "Bless you" is ridiculous, IMHO. Unless they could prove the gang necklaces were rosaries, I'm not sure the girl should be disallowed wearing it. I know many people who wear simple chains with simple crosses on them at all times.

William J. said...

Hi DR

My guess is it wasn't the rosary itself that was consider gang related but the color and I agree it is stupid to not let her where it just as it was stupid for taking points off of a test for saying God Bless you.

I'm sorry you are buried but I am happy you are hit and miss here because you are busy instead of ill.

Bill