Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Let's Hear It For

Let's hear it for the young man in the following story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/doug-wells-legally-blind-_n_1003306.html?1318259835&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk2%7C103070

Let's hear for it the teachers in the next story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/kylee-shea-12-year-olds-h_n_1003443.html?1318265842&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk2%7C103095

Let's hear for a Spanish town that came up with a new way to fight their budget crisis:

http://news.yahoo.com/hard-spanish-town-asks-residents-sweep-streets-142219274.html

Comment Away.

Linda Ellerbe authored yesterday's quote. "Monarchs ought to put to death the authors and instigators of war, as their sworn enemies and as dangers to their states." Was authored by the last of the Tudor monarchs. She was Henry and Anne's daughter. She reigned from 1558 until her death, and her early years were subject to much concern whether she would succeed -- or even survive. She was born in 1533 and died in 1603. She was known as The Virgin Queen, Glorianna, and Good Queen Bess. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

That boy is certainly using what sight he has to good advantage. Good for him! And for the teachers, too. I'm glad they had the training, and I hope all teachers have it.

Funny story about the Spanish town. Here, we water the city's trees (or let them die, but almost nobody does that). A lot of people are letting their grass die these days, though, esp. on parking strips. We haven't been asked to sweep the streets as yet, but perhaps that is coming. Which will be a drag for me, as I'm on a corner and would have to sweep two streets. Not fair.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am surprised that the boy would even go out for sports with his handicap. I am also hoping that teachers everywhere have the training these teachers did.

I loved your response to the Spanish town story. It made me laugh. I also live on a corner so I'd get two streets too!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Great stories, Bill. Kudos to the young man overcoming his sight problems and for his parents encouraging him to go for whatever he wants.

I didn't realize schools had de-fib equipment, but it certainly makes sense. I think more and more places now have them and people trained to use them, which is a Good Thing.

The mayor's request doesn't seem unreasonable and he does have a point about the historical basis for his request. However, I can see where it would be a bit more for corner lots... maybe you could split duties on the second street with the other corner house (g). Great community relations building, no?

William J. said...

Hi DR

The young man and his parents are what I call everyday heroes.

I think the defib equipment in schools is fairly new, within the last year or now. A lot of ambulances carry them now also. I even think some major department stores have them. The price has come down now so they have kind of appeared every where.

Ok, I will share the stree with my other corner neighbor the only problem is the house is vacant. In Oregon we actuall have an "Adopt a Street" program where a church, a business, a school, or even a family can adopt a street and then it becomes their job to clean the street.

Bill