Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Scary experience with Mom yesterday. She didn't know where she was. It is so damn hard to watch her decline. I am going to beat her a Scrabble today maybe that will get her mind going. On to today's entry.

The Good:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/25/wayne-sabaj-man-who-found_n_1030592.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%7C107553

The Bad:

http://news.yahoo.com/income-top-1-percent-far-outgrew-others-report-015302336.html;_ylt=AhsZYyfUaXkAx5KC.l45yvis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQyMnNzbjllBG1pdANTZWN0aW9uTGlzdCBGUCBVUwRwa2cDODIwY2QwYmMtYWE5Ni0zNjdjLTg0ZjAtMDYzZTRkZjdlOWExBHBvcwM1BHNlYwNNZWRpYVNlY3Rpb25MaXN0BHZlcgM3NzIwMTRiMC1mZmNiLTExZTAtYjYyZi00MThiY2NlODdkZmU-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

The Ugly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teresa-huizar/child-abuse-america_b_1025890.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl15%7Csec3_lnk2%7C10677

QUOTE

Carrie Chapman Catt authored yesterday's quote. "I think that if you shake the tree, you ought to be around when the fruit falls to pick it up" was authored by The first American Impressionist artist who was born in Pittsburgh and lived in France. She was influenced especially by Degas. Under her influence, many Americans collected Impressionist art. She was born in 1844 and died in 1926. Do you know of the YOUNG WOMEN IN GREEN, OUTDOORS IN THE SON? If you do you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Mom's incident, Bill. It has to be scary and extremely worrisome for you. (Hugs)

Good for the guy turning in the money. I hope it was from a robbery, no one claims it and he gets it back. Good for the dental clinic, for stepping up and rewarding him for his honesty, by providing the dental care.

The statistics on child abuse are appalling. There are so many contributing factors. Family members don't want to accuse other family members. The abuse is often "hidden" and unseen. The children are afraid to say a word to anyone. Many teachers and family doctors hesitate to file a report, although I think that situation is improving. While they didn't give ages, I suspect many of the deaths from abuse occur in children under the age of five, children who aren't seen in schools or daycare, are too young to communicate and have no one to communicate with.

Pat said...

I know exactly how scary that moment with your mom was, Bill. You have my sympathy as you begin to enter that stage. May it take a very long time to go any farther.

I'm glad that honest man got an expensive reward after all. I remember the story, but can't remember if he got anything at all before this.

The second story isn't exactly news just lately. There is a lot of press given our income disparity now. We are among the top countries for that. It's disgraceful. I would place the third story in the same category. Child abuse is not only disgraceful, it's incomprehensible to a normal person. It's also criminal, and should be pursued and prosecuted and punished. The more we observe and report anything we see, the less this will happen.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mom is better but still on watch, she didn't have any more bouts of not knowing where she was while I was there. They are very scary and happening more often. I don't know if it is a side effect of her pain medication or her age but it isn't somethng as a son I ever imagined dealing with.

The guy did the honest thing even when the money could have changed his life dramtically. He deserves good to happen to him and so does the dental clinic!

I knew the statistics on child abuse were awful, I just didn't realize how awful until I read the article. I would add neighbors don't want to get involved. I checked and of course you are right about most of the abuse being under five, and in fact a high percentage or under one.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If anyone knew how scary the mom event was I knew it would be you. I just don't want mom to suffer anymore.

I'm also glad the honest guy got help.

I pretty much knew the middle class was dwindling I just know how bad it was until I read the article. Whenever a society ends up with no middle class and only has rich and poor there is almost always a revolution. Is the Occupy Wall Street movement that revolution?

I completely agree with you that child abuse should be prosecuted and the abusers should be thrown in jail never to see the light of day again. And you hit on the key, report, report, report.

Bill