Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday Stories

Heading over to Mom's to do her books and work on her estate but thought I would post an entry before leaving. Charlotte Perkins Gilman authored yesterday's quote.
We keep hearing how homelessness is increasing. That is probably true in most states, just not the one in the following article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/30/utah-homelessness-rate-plummets_n_987695.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%7C100394

If Utah can do it, why can't other states do the same?

What do you think of marital contracts? Instead of death do us part, how about "I promise to keep the marital vows for two years"?

http://news.yahoo.com/til-2013-us-part-mexico-mulls-2-marriage-232608285.html;_ylt=AsPRIjnObQEuut7OFDv.kV6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNtNWNpa3NrBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDMTBiMmVmZDEtYmY3OC0zZjdlLTllNGUtYTI0ZDUyZGUxZjg2BHBvcwMxMgRzZWMDdG9wX3N0b3J5BHZlcgNiMTUzY2ZjMC1lYWYyLTExZTAtYjNmZS01OWY1Yjk1ODQ1Nzg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

With more than half the first marriages ending in divorce, I am open to timed contracts for marriage, you?

Ever attended an auction? Ever look to buy things on the cheap? Check out who might have some things for you to buy at a reasonable price:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/30/white-house-garage-sale-obama-plan_n_989569.html?1317418365&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C100645

I might be interested in a island or two.

Comment Away.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Good question about how come Utah can do it and other states can't. Of course it depends on whether the state is broke. I wonder what part the LDS church plays in this program.

There's some kind of provision for temporary marriage in Sharia law, I believe. Only it isn't a tryout for real marriage, it's to give men a sex partner until they can afford marriage, or maybe can convince some girl to marry them. I don't think the 2 year marriage contract is a bad idea, but I think it should preclude children until they make up their minds to go permanent (which isn't really permanent in any case). It should also keep each partner's property separate for the two years.

I wouldn't mind owning an island. If I had a nice boat to get to it in. I don't think I'd bid on an airstrip or an animal disease center, but that's just me. You never know what appeals to some folks.

Mary said...

I don't think I'd be interested in a marriage with a two year expiration date. I'd just move in with the guy and see how it worked out. The first two years of marriage were the hardest, for us, and if I knew there was an easy out there, it would have been too easy to take it, I think.

Lady DR said...

Interesting about Utah's program and its success. I'd like to know a lot more about it and why other states/cities aren't taking a close look at it.

If you're not willing to make a commitment to forever, in good faith, then I don't think you should get married. Live together and see if you kill each other in the first two years. That said, Himself and I have an informal contract for 52 years, with rights of renewal. (G) Before divorce was so easy, couples stuck together and tried their best to work things out. Granted, this didn't always work well, but I often think it's some of the tough times that make marriages strong and build permanent relationships. Then again, I guess I'm pretty old-fashioned about some stuff. In a truly negative situation, I believe divorce may be the best alternative for both parties and especially children, but I've seen too many marriages fall apart just because it's becp,e easier to walk away than sit down and discuss how to stay together.

Want a lot more information on the gov't garage sales than what I see in the article.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would imagine the LDS church plays a big part in the program. They don't want their city to be unsightly.

I completely agree with you about no children during a two year marriage contract. As is keeping their property separate.

I just think it would a hoot to own an island but like you I'm not interested in an airstrip or animal disease center, maybe a prison where I can send unruly clients.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I've know couples that have lived together for years and then when they got married the relationship ended within a year or two. I read some articles then said that happened over half of time. Like the piece of paper that confirmed the relationship became a burden.

But I still think it is a good idea to live with someone before you get married.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think other states should follow Utah's model. I'd combine the first article with the last and if the federal government was selling house that they no long used they could sell them to cities at a reduced price and use them for the homeless.

I find it interesting that there were three different posts and each post had a different idea with yours being the traditional one, Pat's being the open one, and Mary in the middle. I like the contract you have with Himself!
Our parents' generation nobody got a divorce. The following generation a lot of people did. I also think bad times often form a solid bond between spouses and make the marriage more solid. I do think, however, no abused spouse should stay in a marriage, nor should they stay with a spouse that abuses children, they need to get out and take the children with them.

I'd at least like to know where my island is before buying it.

Bill