Friday, October 7, 2011

Healthy Friday

On the agenda today is cleaning house. I am doing a mini remodel. Well a mini living room rearrangement. New furniture and lights. It was sister's idea and she is pretty forceful. However, after seeing what she bought I am very exited about the new living room. She is bringing the new stuff over tomorrow so I want to have things in order before she gets here. Already got the garage clean.

Today is healthy Friday. Stories about health today. First up is congratulations on a happy and healthy baby:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/baby-giraffe-bronx-zoo_n_998510.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk2%7C10227

I had never seen a baby giraffe before.

Did you ever wonder why you have a better or not as good as memory as other people you know? Check out the following article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44793315/ns/health-behavior/

I just hope I remember where I read the information in the above article.

Always have to end Friday with a warning, today a warning about minerals:

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/06/8190110-health-concerns-grow-over-little-known-mineral

QUOTE

Myrlie Evers authored yesterday's quote. "Feminism's agenda is basic: It asks that women not be forced to "choose" between public justice and private happiness. It asks that women be free to define themselves -- instead of having their identity defined for them, time and again, by their culture and their men." Was authored by a woman born in 1959. She is a journalist who wrote BACKLASH: THE UNDECLARED WAR AGAINST WOMEN which argued that feminism and women's rights were undermined by the media and corporations -- just as the previous wave of feminism lost ground to a previous version of backlash, convincing women that feminism and not inequality was the source of their frustration. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Baby giraffe is adorable. I'd love to have seen a shot of him as a newborn, though.

So interesting about the fold in the brain. I had an MRI of my brain a while back... I wonder if it would show my fold. Or lack of same. I think my daughter probably has a big fold, and I suspect I have one, but it's not as large. OTOH, I remember fact from fiction, but esp. with fiction, I don't remember much. Ask me about the plot a day after I've finished a book, and I probably won't be able to remember it well. I wonder what the fold says about that. Or if there's another fold that might cover it.

The article gets it right that most Americans have never heard of erionite. I hope they aren't using it to repair our streets here. But since they aren't repairing them anyway, I guess I don't have to worry.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would also like to shot the giraffe as a newborn.

I am guessing the MRI might show the fold. I kind of have a selective memory. I remember over five hundred phone numbers but I will be damn if I can find my car keys easily.

I certainly hadn't heard of erionite. I am going to ask next time I see a work crew,

Bill

Lady DR said...

Loved the giraffe video. Like you and Pat, would have liked to see the newborn. The associated pic of the monkey baby was darling, as well.

Fold in the brain is an interesting idea. Maybe it explains why, when "oldsters" are relating childhood events, the stories are so varied? Or why sibs remember events very differently?

I'd never heard of erionite, although I'm very familiar with mesothelioma, which was the cause of Walt's death from cancer, attributed to his exposure to asbestos. Scary to hear it's also quite possibly a contributor due to "common" practices of clearing and road repair and the like.

William J. said...

Hi DR

The giraffe was cute but it would have been even cuter if it were a newborn.

I think the fold in the brain explains a lot. Your example may very well be one of them.

I had never heard of erionite either and it scares me that we all could have been exposed to it. It always amazes me how much you have been through and how you have recoverd from event weaker humans might not have.

Bill