Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Is For Recovering.

Yesterday was pretty stressful. Let's get the negative out of the way first. Mark is struggling. He had lost a lot of weight and didn't look all the well. He is in depression in my humble opinion. The reason for this trip was twofold. He is going to Palm Springs for the winter. While there he is going to reconnect with his doctor. I really hope they give him a complete physical. Since Portland is on the way from Vashon Island to Palm Springs he stopped here. I don't remember if I mentioned this before but before his wife died the two of them made me the executor of their estate. When they lived here in Portland they rented three deposit boxes. Large ones. Since large boxes are readily available here they have kept the boxes here. He stopped here basically so we could go to the bank and take Sandra's name off of the boxes and put mine on. It was really kind of a final thing where Sandra is concerned. After we got that done, Mark, Mom, and I went to Claim Jumper for a really nice lunch. Mark ate like a horse. It was good to see him eat. I think what has happened is that he was used to have company for meals and now doesn't so when he is alone he just doesn't eat. I wish I didn't have this creepy feeling that he isn't long for the world. Prayers and good vibes are always appreciated.

Now on to left stressful things, articles about the good and weird today. No thinking required. I was on the go all day yesterday, following are the best places to be when you are on the go:

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-museum-toilet-number-one-190915619.html

After a stressful day you might want to just sit down and have a good meal:

http://news.yahoo.com/supersize-restaurant-offers-338-pound-burger-130601169.html;_ylt=AihoyNUHxibAmppgD1OUToms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTN2OXBqZWh1BG1pdANPZGQgRnJvbnQgUGFnZQRwa2cDYzJkZTUwMmQtYTNlYS0zMzk4LTgwYTUtOTYyZjYwNGI2YmU4BHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpYVNlY3Rpb25MaXN0BHZlcgM4NmMxZjQ3MC1mYmU3LTExZTAtYjNjYS02MjQ1ZWU5ZGU5MWY-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

After being on the go and then having a nice filling meal, how about a little music?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/06/boston-typewriter-orchestra-the-revolution-will-be-typewritten/

There is a link in the article that will take you to videos to listen to the music.

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Madame de Staƫl authored yesterday's quote. " Wen we abolish the slavery of half of humanity, together with the whole system of hypocrisy it implies, then the "division" of humanity will reveal its genuine significance and the human couple will find its true form." was authored by a woman born in 1908 and died in 1986. She was a writer on feminism and existentialism. She also wrote novels. Her book "THE SECOND SEX is a feminist classic. It is based on the idea that, while men and women may have different tendencies, each person is unique, and it is culture which has enforced a uniform set of expectations of what is "feminine," as contrasted to what is "human" which is equated with what is male. She argued that women can free themselves, through individual decisions and collective action. It could be said of a member of the second sex that SHE CAME TO STAY? You can know tell me who authored today's quote.

5 comments:

Pat said...

Good wishes for Mark to recover during his time in Palm Springs. I hope he has friends there to keep him from being lonely and to have some meals with.

Chicago's toilet sounds lovely, but the only one I have a hope of seeing/using would be Don's John if it's a traveling trailer and might stop off in SoCA.

I haven't seen this particular giantburger, but I've seen a couple on the Food Channel over the years. Pretty darned strange, I'd say. I wonder how many customers it took to consume it, if anyone did.

I'm old enough to be thoroughly familiar with the typewriter, and even to remember The Typewriter Song (I think that was what it was called) done by Leroy Anderson's band way back. I can't place it in time, but maybe in the 50's. Google "Typewriter Song" and you'll find one version done by a kids' band that looks good, except they didn't mike it so you can hear the typewriter, but you can see it. A little better is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LJ1i7222c

Lady DR said...

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns regarding Mark. He's had so much on his plate. Like you, I hope he gets a complete physical - it was one of the first things our doctor wanted me to do, after Walt died. I shall continue to keep both Marks in my prayers.

Interesting about the bathrooms (g).

Why would anyone make a burger that big? Who's going to eat the thing? I mean, if they made it and then donated it to a homeless shelter or food kitchen, to be cut and distributed, I'd be all for it. I didn't see any mention of that.

Enjoyed the story about the typewriter band. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any sound on their links or by going directly to You Tube, which is unfortunate, as I'd love to hear them. Must check system - can't can't sound on other videos either.

Lady DR said...

OH, geez, just discovered a bad cable connection on speakers and was able to listen to WhiteOut. What a riot! Thanks for sharing.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the good wishes re Mark, I made him promise to call me when he stopped at night on the trip. He called each night and last night he sounded pretty good and not so tired so the good wishes are working.

I think the SoCal one is the only I will ever have a chance of seeing.

I also wonder who would pay two grand for the giant burger. I don't know how many it would take to eat it but since it is a sports bar we might be surprised.

I'm not only old enough to remember the typewriter my hand writing was so bad in the 8th grade they made me take a typing class. You had to get up to 35 words a minute to pass the class. I did better than that. Thanks for the link.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

See my not to Pat re Mark. He sounded better. It just makes sense that Mark gets a physical. And an update prostate check.

I think they made a burger that big because they were trying to set a world's record but I wouldn't have put a price tag of two grand on it, I would have done like you said, donated to a mission or homeless shelter or an abused women and children's shelter.

I'm glad you were able to hear the band!

Bill