Monday, October 17, 2011

Damn It's Monday

Apparently the world is kind of grouchy today because I couldn't find any fun or non-controversial articles in all the places I normally look. So first up is a non-controversial subject, global warming:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/16/global-warming-blamed-shrinking-species_n_1014571.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%7C104880

Do you swear? In front of teenagers and younger? Do you care if the young ones watch swearing in movie and on television?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/17/swearing-on-tv-linked-to-teen-aggression/

Well damn if that isn't enough on to another article that isn't a bit controversial:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/17/controversial-therapy-for-young-transgender-patients-raises-questions/

Comment Away.

QUOTE

"I would like to learn, or remember, how to live. I come to Hollins Pond not so much to learn how to live as, frankly, to forget about it. That is, I don't think I can learn from a wild animal how to live in particular...but I might learn something of mindlessness, something of the purity of living in the physical senses and the dignity of living without bias or motive." was authored by a woman known for writing poems, essays, and novels. Her best-known work, perhaps, is nature-themed PILGRAM AT TINKER CREEK which has often been compared to the writing of Henry David Thoreau and which she has described as a "book of theology." Her AN AMERICAN CHILDHOOD tells the story of her early years and her later often have the theme of nature. She was born in 1945.

2 comments:

Pat said...

But...but Bill, global warming IS controversial. The silly 'pubbies just won't admit it's real. I sure hadn't heard about animals and plants shrinking, though. That's bad news, if it continues. The worst news I just heard today. There will probably be a big coffee shortage in a few years, and coffee may disappear in 50 years (not sure about that number, but I won't be here to see it). Also chocolate. I'd miss chocolate a lot, but I doubt I could live without coffee.

I do swear. Probably less than I used to now that I'm not working. Teenagers and younger probably swear more than I do, so I don't worry about them. I never did worry about language in movies and tv, and I thought it stupid to give an R rating for just one swear word, when they allow all sorts of blood and guts and violence in PG. I'd question the study in the article, too. It sounds like a badly designed study and statistics that they could have fiddled either way. And in fact that other researcher thought their results could have been reversed. So I'd forget that one.

I'd also call giving an 11 y/o hormone blockers child abuse. You just don't muck about with hormones--they are too poorly understood. I wonder if the kid's two mommies have considered that he is being raised by two women. Does he have a male role model? Lots of questions here beyond his hormones.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was kind of being tongue in cheek when I said global warming wasn't controversial. I've shown videos to my pubbies friends of chunks of Iceland melting and going off to see and they say "So?"

I honestly don't swear that much and it bothers me to no end when my young relatives use the "F" word in everyday sentances. It is stupid to allow blood and for The Black Swan to get the same R rating as The King's Speech. I think I will forget the study.

I just shook my head at the last article. Giving an 11 year old hormones is not only abuse but criminal in my mind. And there are so many other factors to consider.

Bill