Monday, May 16, 2011

Bad Directions & Bad Habits.

Heading out to take Mom to the foot doctor and then have a minor surgery on my feet myself. The this afternoon is an early dinner date with Nice Nancie as Seasons & Regions.

One of the things I want to do this week is look for a GPS system. According to an article in yesterday's paper it is still and good idea to have another map with you and it is even a better idea not to ask most GPS systems the shortest route somewhere.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/05/missing_canadian_couple_experts_say_always_pair_gps_with_paper_map_realize_technology_not_infallible.html

Combined with stupidity I guess the GPS's can be dangerous but what person in their right mind is going off the main roads during winter?

Next up is an article about myths.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/arthritis/osteoarthritis/understanding/index.aspx?xid=aol_eh-arthritis_36-_20100509&icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk3%7C213207

Ending the day with an article that really cooks:


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eatingwell/bad-cooking-habits_b_857705.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk3%7C213240

Your comments are appreciated.

PRESIDENTS:

"It will do to suppose that a majority of the sensible and responsible women of the land desire suffrage and admittance to the activities of politics." He wrote these words in an issue of the LADIES HOME JOURNAL titled "Would Women Suffrage Be Unwise.' This president was born in 1837 and died in 1908. He thought women should not vote having been decided by a "higher power" years earlier that only men had that right. This president served two term but they weren't consecutive and he bears the same first name as Bill's brother. His last name will remind you of a city in Ohio. Which president am I?

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

We have a Garmin and like it. But we don't always follow it to the letter - then "she" says "Recalculating". Or we just turn the sound off. Sometimes we look up the address on google maps first, then use the Garmin, and then still go the way we like. 8^)

Pat said...

Interesting about the GPS instructions. I have it in my Civic, but the couple of times I've tried to use it just for fun, I find its advice is impractical. It may pick the shortest way, but doesn't reckon with rush hour on the freeway and other things best avoided.

I pretty much knew the arthritis stuff, and am very glad I only have the occasional twinge in my little fingers.

I hardly ever bake, so flour-measuring advice isn't all that useful. I know not to crowd a pan, and would try to preheat properly every time except it takes so darned long with a stupid electric stove, and I get impatient.

Lady DR said...

Hope the minor surgery went well and wasn't painful, didn't/doesn't interfere with fun at dinner.

We have Navman and I swear by the GPS, but I don't go off-roading or out in the wilderness. I found it most useful here in town, when we had to locate a new doctor or facility or when trying to find a line dance site, that sort of thing. It'll give me the approximate drive time, as well as the routing. It was wonderful, when I went to IL, given all the left exits off some of the freeways and such. Like Mary Z, I sometimes ignore it, if I hit familiar territory and know a shortcut, but it recalculates. I do think it needs to be used with common sense. Still, I find mine most useful for getting around areas of town with which I'm not familiar. I'd use it on long trips, should I ever take such, but have paper maps or MapQuest maps as backup (although I'm not sure the latter is always accurate, either.)

Most of the arthritis stuff I knew, but it was interesting to read. The cooking stuff, I pretty much follow. I don't think we own aluminum cookware anymore, unless there are a couple pieces in the RV. Himself likes to cook in cast iron on the rare occasion, but we always wash and frequently "treat" the skillets. Preheating I do try to do, especially with the oven, since it's a bit old and cantankerous on occasion.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I like that you don't let the GPS control you.

It looks like the biggest problems is either people don't go to the Internet and update their GPS maps enough or the companies don't update the maps for winter, etc.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The shortest way isn't always the best and I guess on some GPS systems you can choose the shortest way or the most direct. Some will even warn you about traffic jams and construction.

I also knew most of the things in the arthritis but knew nothing in the cooking article. I'm to impatient usually to do the preheating thing so I have to be better at that. We share that.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The date went well and so did the minor surgery. The first wasn't painful, the second was.

I didn't think you were the time to go off into the wilderness especially in the winter. I also bet you are the type to go to the Internet and download updates to the system. I'm getting on for a round town and also for trips that I hope to start taking.

It looks like we all knew about the arthritis things and two out of three of us knew about the cooking things.

Bill