Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Never Say Never

Getting ready to take off for Mom's in a bit. Tomorrow's blog entry may be posted early in the afternoon instead of the morning. I never really know what is going to happen at Mom's as her emotions and pain is fluctuating. Sometimes it is difficult to log on to the Internet when I am there, sometimes, it is very difficult.

Today is a special day. Do you know what today is? Check out the following article:

http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/05/10/15-decadent-recipes-for-eat-what-you-want-day/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk1%7C212801

What are you eating today? Going sinful? When at Mom's I dab in ice cream. Mom loves ice cream and doesn't like to eat it alone, so being a really good son I do what a son has to do. Moving on from satisfying food dishes to some good advise if you have back pain:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pain-management/posture-and-managing-pain.aspx?xid=aol_eh-pain_34-_20100509&icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk2%7C212806

I do have back pain amongst other pains throughout both my body and my life. Most of the stuff in the article I already do but there are a couple of things I can add to me regiment and a couple of things I can do more of. What about you?

I've stated before that one of my favorite columnists is Craig Wilson of The USA Today. Today he wrote his take on the word "never",

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2011-05-10-final-word-never-say_n.htm

Do you have any phrases with the word never in it that you would like to add to the list? Never date a woman whose idol is Lorena Bobbitt would be my first choice. Can you add more than one?

PRESIDENTS

"My life has been devoted to arms yet I look upon war at all time and under all circumstances as a national calamity to be avoided if compatible with national honor." I was born in 1784 and went on to become a war hero. I wrote the quote shortly before my nomination when I was expressing my political views. I fought in the War of 1812 and The Mexican-American War. My term in office was one year. Illness did me in. My vice president replaced me. You can figure out my vice president's name if you look at a half full glass and wanted it to be full, the vice presidents' last name would tell you what to do. Which President Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

"Eat What You Want Day", huh? But I'd have to go shopping. Or cook. Don't want to eat out today. Maybe I can order in. But probably I'll just have leftover potroast and mashed potatoes from last night's restaurant meal. Boring but filling, and I'll shop tomorrow. Maybe. I will have some ice cream, in the spirit of the day.

I should probably work on my posture. Most of the time, it's okay, but I do have a tendency to slump when sitting these days. I had back pain back in the 80s from a herniated disc, and in those days, I really did work on posture, especially sitting posture, as that was the only way to be reasonably comfortable.

Good list of nevers. One did strike me. "Never use a long word when a short one will do." I think most of us know several long words, but they're not in our "usable" vocabulary. I remember in my 20s working with a woman biologist who used all the words she knew. I was really impressed, and I started trying to use some of the words I knew from reading but had never spoken. I think now, in my old age, I've reached a sort of middle ground about that. {g}

Lady DR said...

Bill, I'm so sorry to hear Mom's emotions and pain are fluctuation. I suspect the latter impacts the former. I do keep her in my daily prayers, along with you, and hope sh can find some release.

Eating? As in, you mean the supper I haven't yet decided on? It may well be freezer pizza. Lunch was popcorn shrimp, eaten in the car between errands. I'm not sure either qualifies as a healthy diet (wry s).

Like you, I do most of the recommended stuff for back pain, mostly for my shoulder and hip. The one thing I don't do and need to make a habit of, is getting up and moving around every twenty minutes or so, especially when I'm doing editorial work. I sometimes go a couple hours. Not good.

The "nevers" were interesting. I like your addition. I would add, from l-o-n-g experience, never believe anyone who tells you the puppy you're considering adopting is housebroken (koff). Never believe anyone who says, "This won't hurt." Never believe a politician who starts a statement with, "When elected, I will..."

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I had ice cream yesterday and tat was it and some chocolate.

I also should work on my posture but mostly stand up straight. Sitting properly is my problem.

That is the exact never that struck me. I hate it when people use big words when a small one to do, it is probably done to impress us but it would impress me more if they just used words everyone knew.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

At 95 I expect mom to decline but it is hell to watch. Thank you for keeping her in your prayers it is very much appreciated.

Pizza sounds good. I never really want pizze and a couple of weeks ago I had this uncontrollable urge to have pizza for the first time in my life and wow did it taste good. (Mom thought I was pregnant.)

I am with you on the moving around and need to do that more.

Love your list of nevers. Especially "When Elected.:

Bill