Sunday, May 22, 2011

The World Begins With An Update

Since we are all still here it is time for the weekly update. Pat how is the pneumonia? DR how are you doing after the fall and how was the wedding? Dona how are you and The Shankster doing? Have you killed The Shankster yet? Mary it is getting close to the end of the school year, has a college been picked by your son? Ellen, has anyone slapped some sense into the Wisconsin governor yet? Mary Z did the tornados miss you? Snug, how are things in Singapore? Sian how are things on the Island? Lurkers go ahead and fall out of the loft and tell us about your lives. And if I have missed anyone I apologize ahead of time.

Last week wasn't to bad for me. Monday morning was minor foot surgery, Monday afternoon was date number two. Tuesday and Wednesday nights were at Mom's as was Thursday Morning. Thursday was a movie. Friday an all day seminar. Saturday a day of rest.

This week Sister and husband are heading out for Utah to attend the graduation of their grandson. He is graduating from high school and then heading to Texas to attend SMU. They are leaving early Thursday morning. That will make for a busy week for me. Monday night and Tuesday morning is at Mom's. I will also be at Mom's every day from Thursday through next Tuesday until sister returns. Good news on the Mom front, she has been doing a little more walking at my encouragement. I really felt she was atrophying by the way she downsized her walking. I kind of got upset at her and pissed her off into doing more walking. She has and she has gotten better. Her arthritis pain hasn't been as severe. Now that I am going to be there a lot the next week I am going to help her do a little more each day.

Entertainment update. Meatloaf and Little John were eliminated on The Celebrity Apprentice. Donald Trump was eliminated from the presidential race. The finalists on The Apprentice are Marlee Matlin and John Rich. I'm rooting for Matlin, Rich is to pious and arrogant for me. On Dancing With The Stars the Karate Kid, Ralph Macchio, was sent home. The finalist are Kirstie Alley, actress, Chelsie Kane, Disney star, and football player Hines Ward. Any of them could win it but I want Hines to bring home the mirror ball trophy. Chelsie is probably the best dancer but I just can't stand her professional partner, Mark Ballas. He is just to darn weird. Kirstie is probably the worst dancer but tries and practices the hardest. She has lost close to 100 hundred pounds dancing her way to the finals. Hines is the dude that always smiles and really is the most likeable of the finalists. He also has my favorite professional to help him out, the stunning Kym Johnson. On Top Chef Masters my gal from Portland, Naomi Pomeroy, won the night. She is one of the five remaining. I'm now watching Top Chef Masters because of her.

The blog is now yours. Share your lives with me. Post anything you want. Tell me your plans for the future.

12 comments:

Mary Z said...

Glad you're getting your mom to do some more walking - that is important - for all of us, regardless of age.

The tornadoes were all around us - devastating the area. We had a small amount of damage - a tree fell across our driveway, landing on the house and screened porch. The only damage was to the porch roof (hole poked through into the inside), so we do have a blue-tarp. But that should get fixed soon, and is very minor (in the scheme of things. I was out of town, but our power was out only for about 8 hours. The worst inconvenience for John was that the tree blocked both our cars in the carport (under the porch) for three days - but no damage to them.

We don't even complain when we know of all the horrible damage and loss of life in the area.

Unknown said...

DR, you had a fall? Are you OK? Hope everyone is well. Me, I didn't realise the world was supposed to end yesterday. Asia has missed a rapture.

Pat said...

Snug, we all missed the rapture. This is a Good Thing. {g}

Bill, I'm glad you got your mom walking more. Somebody should get me doing that. Mary Z, glad you missed the worst of the storms.

I'd also like Marlee Matlin to win APPRENTICE. And I'd sort of like for Kirstie to win DWTS, but I haven't seen much of it, so don't feel "bonded" with any of the others. I'm watching TOP CHEF MASTERS, but don't have a particular fave, so I'll root for Naomi in your honor.

The pneumonia is maybe a little better, definitely not gone. All it consists of is a pain in my right upper chest and total lack of energy. No breathing problems. I'm still on antibiotics and had a CT scan Friday to see if there might be something underlying the pneumonia. Will know something Wednesday.

Lady DR said...

I dunno, Bill, last week sounds pretty busy to me and this week looks chock-full, with Sis being gone. I'm so glad you have Mom up and walking and will continue to encourage that. It really does help the arthritis and a lot of other things, often including mental attitude.

Mary, glad to hear you guys escaped relatively unscathed, given the reports of damage in your area.

As Pat pointed out, we all missed the Rapture, Snug. Thank goodness. Yes, fell over the open door to the dog crate (we have a new puppy, in case you missed that part).

I had a slow, but busy week (which makes no sense, I know). The ribs slowed me down considerably. I did the pool a couple days and maybe shouldn't have. Indulged in a massage, which was lovely. The good news is, another couple weeks and I should be in good shape again, if the last fall was an indication. Got in some editorial hours, not as many as usual. More hours on more paperwork for the refinance. The appraiser was here Tuesday afternoon and I just picked up the appraisal from the net. I don't agree with all of it (wry s), but given the current housing market, we came in at a good number, higher than Himself anticipated, so we're happy.

The wedding was quite nice. We didn't know anyone but family, of course, and didn't get a lot of chance to talk with them. What was kinda neat - Karen (bride) and Carol are twins. Carol is a notary and she performed the ceremony, then their mom read a blessing over the rings, Himself did the champagne toast. It was all at their apartment, which is large and lovely. We left after the bbq lunch and before the pool party. I wasn't moving well and Scamp had been in her crate since 8:00 am and it was 3:00 when we got home, but she made it without an accident. (Which is not to say she's necessarily housebroken, unfortunately, nor that she doesn't get me up before the sun rises to go outside. Thankfully, she does her duty quickly, then snuggles up close and goes back to sleep until about 8:00.) Now that we're starting on leash training and basic commands, there's lots of puppy time to fit into the schedule and, after reading about chihuahuas and Maltese puppies, some adjustments to be made to routines and training schedules. Good thing she's cute (g).

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I am glad you missed the bulk of the storm but still being homebound for a few days and having your property damaged is enough. I hope there isn't anything more.

With my Mom my sister and I have different styles. She trys to keep mom from walking because she is worried she will fall. I try to keep mom walking because if she falls at least she will die doing something she wants to do and feeling good about herself.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Snug!

How are your Mom and dad?

Yup the world was supposed to end at 6 on May 21. Some older dude in Oakland, California predicted. I was reading later that the prediction brought in eighteen million dollars in donations to his church. People are really guillable.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am sorry you still have pneumonia. I hope it goes away soon. I am glad it is a little better. And I will be rooting for good results on Wednesday.

When I cared for dad he got worse when I backed off because the caregivers quit excercising him. I saw this happening with Mom so I finally decided I didn't care who I was going to tick off I stepped in and started making mom walk more.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Kirstie won dancing. She has been a hoot and a class act all season. I just think the other two are better dancers.

Thanks for rooting for Naomi!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

See comments to Snug and Pat about mom, I just felt I had to step in.

Sometimes slow weeks are good even when there are busy. But having to endure rib pain is not good and would slow anyone down. I hope the ribs are improving. You sure do always do a lot in your weeks. Having to have an appraisal done in the market is traumatic, I am glad it came in higher than Himself thought.

The wedding sounds great and how nice the family was able to conduct it! I bet Himself's toast was the highlight of the ceremony!

It sure does sound like Scamp is adjusting. I am guessing the lease training will go well.

Bill

Unknown said...

I read that an enterprising smart made $35,000 by charging people upfront non-refundable fees for taking care of their pets when they get caught up in the rapture (http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/Home_Page.html). I can't begrudge him this money. Hilarious.

William J. said...

Hi Snug

I don't begrudge that guy his money but I do feel sorry for the people that fell for it.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

Hi Bill,
I'm still alive and kicking. I have three weeks left of school, finally!! I'm taking Algebra and studying away on any extra time I can find. working twice as hard for little money and trying hard not to "kill" the kidlet! Wanna go to my graduation in July? : )

William J. said...

Hi Symply!!!

So good to hear from you and CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GRADUATION!! Which I would attend if I could.

Bill