Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Today is the day for remembering the almost two million Americans that have lost their lives in wars and conflicts. We really don't know much about how the day came about. The following article gives us the history of the day including the origin as the a day to remember Civil War vets:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/29/memorial-day-history_n_868632.html?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C214570

I found the following article a little disturbing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110530/ap_on_he_me/us_med_healthbeat_drug_shortages;_ylt=ArzinG6qnJqEyUodTx78K56s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0bWxxaGpkBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNTMwL3VzX21lZF9oZWFsdGhiZWF0X2RydWdfc2hvcnRhZ2VzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDMQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2hvc3BpdGFsc2h1bg--

I frankly don't know why the manufacturers just can't make more drugs.

Have we become to politically correct? I've seen advertised stage performances of To Kill A Mockingbird without the use of the "N" word. Now some Hollywood types are going for the banning of the "R" word.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/05/26/hollywood-stars-aim-to-end-use-of-the-r-word-video/

I've never liked the "R" word but I am really against censorship so I am struggling with what side to come down on.

Comment Away.

PRESIDENTS

"I knew that my staying up would not change the election result if I were defeated, while if elected I had a hard day ahead of me So I thought a night's rest was best in any event." We have had another president with his same last name earlier. He was born in 1833 and died in 1901. He ran against the president with the first name the same as Bill's brother. I'm one of those that won with more electoral votes than popular votes. I ran in an election that was the only election where both candidates had been president before. If you know much about the number twenty-three, then you can answer the question, Which president am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I had a whole long comment, first about the drug shortages, where I quoted that FDA person who said it wasn't the expensive ones that were usually short.

Then I mentioned that I didn't use the "R" word and would probably continue not using it, but I do think there's a little too much sensitivity going 'round. Maybe I had other things to blather on about, but I forget them and somehow they didn't copy over today.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I looked to see if your longer message went into the blog spam folder which sometimes happens with DR's.

Of course there aren't a shortage of the expensive drugs. Still most of the people on expensive drugs also have to use other drugs and some are the cheap ones. They should keep on making them.

I don't use the "R" word either but I also agree with you, there is just to much sensitivity going around.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'd no idea Memorial Day began after the Civil War. For some reason, I always associated it with WWI. However, I liked the reasoning behind its initial creation.

The drug thing is scary. I got caught in it a couple years ago, when my thyroid medication was unavailable and I couldn't take the alternative. There was, I discovered plenty available in Canada and that's where I got my meds, until the shortage here was "fixed." It's not an expensive drug, btw. Given the vast profits of the pharmaceutical companies, one would think they'd be able to be sure supply meets demand.

Yes, I think we've become a little too sensitive, as Pat said. While I use neither the N or the R word, they were in common usage during large segments of our country's history and rewriting history isn't going to change that. I'm against using them today, but I'm also against censorship and rewriting of books and subsequent movies, where they clearly show the culture of the time and the attitudes that prevailed. In many cases, this can show us, today, how far we've come and just how damaging those titles and/or attitudes were.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I really didn't know either that Memorial Day was the Civil War, I was even later than you thinking WWII.

The drug thing made it to the news this morning. Now Congress is considering a law making manufactureres produce the drugs.

I think we all agree, that while we choose not to use certain words it may be over the top to pass laws preventing their use. I'm with you on history and changing it and also censorship.

Bill