Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sentencing.

Part of two of the story I pegged as Spy Crossing because some of the folks in the story had to drive right near my house to pull of the espionage:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/05/the_spys_kid_part_2_russians_warm_up_to_son_of_spy_hand_him_cash.html

Cash in brown bags and secrets in napkins? Are you kidding me?

Next story just brings a smile to my face and the inner thought, "it is about time." This is also a federal story writes about a different type of sentence:

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2011/may/19/new-federal-rules-set-sentence-guidelines-the/?print

I had to choose between two articles for the last article of the day. One was on growing brains. The other was about museums you should visit. I chose the museums:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/05/13/from-spam-to-barbed-wire-seven-of-the-weirdest-museums-in-america/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%7C213906

Your comments are appreciated.

PRESIDENTS

Yesterday's president was Bill Clinton. Today's said the following:

"My dear sir, if you are as happy on entering the White House as I am on leaving, you are a very happy man indeed." He reportedly spoke this words to the president that would end up not finishing his term due to a bad choice of plays. Two days into my presidency the Supreme Court issued a decision in the Dred Scott case , a decision that would lead to war under the next president. When some Southern states succeeded I took no action. If you know a little about the number fifteen, you should be able to answer the question, Which President Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

To have the government speak to us clearly, in plain English, would be a very nice change. Ditto the IRS.

I'd like to see some of those museums. Maybe not the Mutter one.

Lady DR said...

Good articles, as usual. I do hope you'll keep posting the sequential articles on the spy family. I find it fascinating. I also find it somewhat interesting that Dad and son were seemingly convinced they were doing the "right" thing for their family, regardless of the impact on the country, and that Nathan carried a Bible, given by his dad. I'm hoping subsequent articles will help me put this together, somehow.

Government documents that are understandable? What a concept! I sincerely hope the trend spreads. As I recall, regulations were passed several years ago, requiring insurance companies to use plain English in policies and such.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

First, wishing you the best when the biopsy is done. We are all rooting for you, including my mom.

I would hope the IRS would the main agency that had to follow the new guidelines because they are the worst now and the hardest to understand.

I wouldn't mind visiting any of the museums on the list, it would sure be a talking point at parties!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I will post all six in the series. I find it kind of fascinating also and read it right alon with you guys. I've also notice there are more repeat visits to the blog than usual and I am guessing the spy series is the main reason.

I don't think anything in the following stories could make me like the dad.

I hope the trend of easy to read documents become starts and catches fire. Then I hope someone holds the insurance companies to the fire for many reasons, one of them being not making their insurance policies easy to read.

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Bill. And thank your mom, too. {S}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Mom remembers you from when you were at my house with the Group on Sunday brunch during the Portland Netstock.

Bill