Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Clothes To Goodwill or Chairs?

I had dinner with Mark last night. He didn't really look good and said he hadn't eaten for a month. He did have a really good dinner last night so he finally go some food in him. We are going to lunch and dinner tomorrow. In the morning we are going to his bank because he named me as personal rep of his estate and wants me on his safe deposit boxes. Awesome responsibility but how can I turn him down?

Because of the Stunning News of yesterday I saved yesterday's post for today. Starting the day off with a good story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/01/how-a-stem-cell-transplan_n_856012.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C211747

Going from the good to the troubling:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/01/135813656/war-turning-mexican-kids-into-targets-or-killers?sc=fb&cc=fp

Ending the day with just some amazing creativity:

http://www.shelterpop.com/2011/04/29/rememberme-chair/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk3%7C211614

My blog posts will probably be short this week. Mark got here yesterday and will be here today. I am at Mom's Tuesday and Wednesday night. Thursday is my lunch date. Please excuse the brief posts! And remember that your comments are always appreciated.

PS

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Peace Pilgram, also known as Mildred Lisette Norman.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

So glad to hear Mark's arrived and you're spending time together. Wonderful that you've agreed to his estate rep. As to eating -- I can relate to Mark - when I'm upset or when I grieve, food is the last thing on my mind and the last thing I want, regardless of knowing I need it. It was only when someone insisted I eat that I did so.

Lovely story on the stem cell transplant and how neat the two parties could get together.

Very troubling about the drug issues in Mexico, although I've seen news on this before. What we don't realize/recognize is that we have a very similar problem right here, at home, in the ghettos and with our poverty children, who often do what they need to do to save siblings and even parents, who can't find work. Dig into the underbellies of LA, Chicago, New York, Detroit and other cities and I suspect you'll find very similar issues and circumstances, although none of us want to admit it.

Oooh, I'd like to have a comfy chair made from the majorette costume Mom made for me in high school! Yes, I still have it). What a neat idea.

Spend your time with Mark and Mom and the lunch date. Forget the Who Am I's, given the time they take and don't worry about us - we'll manage, even if we're just talking to ourselves for a couple days!

Pat said...

Sorry to hear Mark isn't looking well. It's sometimes hard to remember to eat when you're miserable about something else. I'm glad you're able to get some meals into him for at least a while.

Amazing stuff about the stem cell transplant. And how great that they could meet.

From the uplifting to the depressing, the whole business of luring or forcing kids into these "wars" just turns my stomach. I fear some of the same callous mindset gets into our troops during our own "wars", let alone what's happening to some of our kids on the mean streets. It's all disgusting. Specifically for the Mexican drug wars, imagine what would happen if their best customer, the USA, legalized drugs. Oh, sure, they'd find some other means of illegal gain, but would it be as bad?

I can't imagine a chair made of any clothing of mine. There are a few things I remember fondly, but they are long gone, and nothing I presently own is worthy of a chair. {g} Interesting idea, but a bit pricey at over $800.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mark has eaten like a horse since he has been here.

I loved the stem cell transplant story, it was kind of uplifting.

The drug issues in Mexico just make me shake my head. Not only a drug problem here but when economic times are bad gangs increase their membership.

I'd absolutely love it if you made a chair from a majorette costume!

I did all the Who Am Is on Sunday. Eeerie was I did them before Ben Laden was killed and the first one was just appropriate for that day.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Believe it or not Mark is looking better now than when he arrived. Been eating well and getting a lot of things off of his chest.

I love stories like the stem cell people meeting. I hate stories like the Mexican drug idiots using children but they are a part of what is going on the world. Sad but true.

I think you are right on about out kids here in the US.

I also don't think I have any clothing for that would translate into a chair and I am not spending eight hundred bucks on one.

Bill