Tuesday, May 10, 2011

USA Today

I read at least two papers a day and most days three. The two papers I read everyday or THE OREGONIAN and THE USA TODAY. I get the local stuff from The Oregonian and the national news from The USA Today. Their editorials will often have different slants. It keeps me informed.

We are calling today USA TODAY day because all of the articles on today's post comes from thme.

I've have felt for years that we needed a viable third party. Neither current party really fits me or my beliefs. Apparently I am not alone:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/05/gallup-poll-third-party-republicans-democrats-tea-party/1

How about you? Are you ready for a third party? Happy with status quo?

The new poor:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2011-05-10-new-face-of-hunger-food-assistance_n.htm

Surprising article from the standpoint that so many people could get help and either don't know it is available or they reject the help. What surprises you about the article?

I'm one of those that thinks if a company, a church, a government, or basically anyone finds themselves in a scandal the first thing they should do is confess and apologize. Accept responsibility and make things right is my motto. According to some that isn't always the best:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-05-09-vienna-virginia-church-abuse-case-lawyers-insurers_n.htm

What is your reaction to the article?

You can read the USA Today at:

http://www.usatoday.com/

KNOW YOUR PRESIDENT:

"I have been almost overwhelmed by the sad even which so recently occurred. I feel incompetent to perform duties so important and responsible as those which have been so unexpectedly thrown upon me." I said this when taking the oath of office. He was a Vice President first a President second and a Senator third. He was born in 1808 and although he was a native of North Carolina but considered Tennessee home. I said pardon often and it upset a lot of the country. Which President Am I?

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

The problem with a third party is that our system is designed as a "winner take all" system. It's not set up as for a coalition-type government. No matter how many factions are involved at a beginning, it will boil down to just two - the winners and the losers. The entire government would have to be constitutionally changed in order for that to happen. Not a comment, just the way it is.....

Pat said...

I am currently pretty much disgusted with both parties, the Republicans considerably more than the Democrats, who are just wimps. Would a third party change things for the better? Maybe, maybe not. The "Tea Party" doesn't seem to be improving anything.

Nothing surprises me about the food article. There was once a time when I was "between shows" too long, and I looked into getting Food Stamps. Turned out that since I was getting Unemployment, I would only qualify for a pittance in help. Plus I would have been drowned in paperwork. So I just gave up the idea and made do. I imagine that's true of a lot of people, one way or another.

I didn't read the entire article about church vs. insurance company. From what I did read, I say bravo to the church for standing up for principles. It is a little disconcerting to find that churches need insurance for sexual abuse, though. How widespread is this, anyway?

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, I'm pretty fed up with both parties at this point. Hadn't realized the constitutional issues Mary brought up. Sounds like we need a third party to overcome/take the place of one of the existing two. With what we've currently got, not much of a positive nature is happening, with all the bickering and greed and positioning and no compromise or negotiation skills or desires.

I didn't find the article on help with food too surprising. I think there are a lot of cases where people aren't aware they're eligible for assistance, assuming because they have any kind of job and can pay the rent, they won't qualify. I also know there are many cases where people simply refuse to take advantage, often because of the paperwork involved or the way they may be made to feel by the bureaucrats or because they're embarrassed to be seen using the stamps, for example.

When Walt was dying and we had no income, I applied for SSI and was made to feel an absolute parasite of society. I finally canceled the application, as it was more than I could deal with in the situation.

I applaud the churches for standing on principle. I can appreciate the concerns of the insurance company, but their bottom line is money and I'd hope that's not the case with the churches. At the same time, if there weren't other lawyers out there encouraging victims to file lawsuits for exorbitant amounts, the issue would become somewhat mute, particularly where churches are willing and able to offer help and assistance to the victims. Then again, maybe that's too simplistic.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Been thinking about you a lot with the floods but I think if memory serves me correctly your are a fair distance from The Mississippi River. At least I hope you.

I'm not adverse to changing out entire government, it isn't working now.

If a third party candidate were in office he would have to work with both parties and I see that as a good thing.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Hope you are feeling better and improving.

I am also disgusted with both parties and a little with Obama. I think he should have held the line on the tax cuts and I think he needs to end the wars. But like you I am really the most disgusted the Pubs.

I actually think my mom could get food stamps and my sister too but I don't think they would because they really don't need them.

I was happy with the church disappointed in the insurance company and the attorneys. I would imagine the sexual abuse in churches is pretty wide spread based on reported cases and that normally reported cases are less than half of the incidents according to some stats that I've seen.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

We need a viable third party formed by intelligent people not a third party like the Tea Party.

I guess I was the only one that found the article on food surprising. I hope the government has change since Walt tried to get SSI, that experience was just awful. You deserved better.

I also applaud the church, good for them. I think getting people to work together without lawyers ins't simplistic, it is a good game plan.

Bill

Mary Z said...

Bill, we're way at the other side of the state from the floods. BUT, we were in the path of the tornadoes on 27 April. A couple of small towns in the Chattanooga metro area in North Georgia were totally destroyed.

I was in Texas, when a tree fell across our driveway onto our house and porch. Fortunately only a small hole in the roof of the porch. The worst part was having both cars blocked in for 3 days until we could get the tree taken down. Roof repairs will take a while, since (fortunately) it's such a small job.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I am sorry you had to deal with the tree falling on your porch and blocking your car for three days. It doesn't sound like a small job to me. I'm glad it wasn't worse but sorry it happened and hope that you will not have any more damage.

Bill