Thursday, August 25, 2011

Animals, Pain, & Implants.

Sometimes animals are better at predicting things than we are:

http://news.yahoo.com/critters-moving-away-global-warming-faster-180108117.html

Do you have chronic pain? Are you treating in properly?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pain-management-pictures/6-common-pain-treatment-mistakes.aspx?xid=aol_eh-pain_29-_20110815&aolcat=ESO#/slide-1

A new trend among senior women. I really find it a troubling trend, breast cancer survivors exempted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/23/morning-rush-best-morning_n_934133.html?1314118532#s336574&title=Today__75YearOld

Comment Away.


QUOTE

Barbara De Angelis authored yesterday's quote. "The family unit plays a critical role in our society and in the training of the generation to come." This jurist born in 1930 retired a few years ago to take care of a husband not doing well. In 2001, the Ladies' Home Journal ranked her as the second-most-powerful woman in America. In 2004 and 2005, Forbes magazine listed her as the sixth- and thirty-sixth-most-powerful woman in the world, respectively; the only American women preceding her on the 2004 list were then-National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, then-U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, and then-First Lady Laura Bush. On August 12, 2009, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor of the United States, by President Barack Obama. If you know of the first woman on the Supreme Court, you can answer the question, who authored today's quote.

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

Interesting article on animal movements and global warming trends. We often relied on the cattle to help predict incoming weather.

I think the hardest thing for people with chronic pain to understand is that exercise and physical therapy really can help. If you're hurting already, why do something that makes you hurt? Yet, time and time again, the effectiveness has been proven. It may take a while (as with my shoulder and hip), but it beats never-ending pain and constantly relying on pain meds (although I'm in favor of those to control pain in the process. I'm also very much in favor of alternative methods, such as massage, chiropractic and acupuncture, once you've identified there's not another, major, medical source.

The 75 year old doing breast enhancement... I really don't see the point, but then I don't see the point for a 35 or 50 year old having such. If this kind of thing really is a trend, I'm disappointed that seniors, whom I would consider to have more wisdom and common sense, are buying into the idea that how we need to match media model standards.

Pat said...

Those critters are really smart. We humans will mostly grudgingly admit there's climate change going on, but some of us even deny that. Still. We should take lessons from the animals.

I didn't get much out of that site about pain. Maybe it was my browser, but I only got part of the first sentence for every photo. But since I don't have chronic pain, it's not a problem.

I can sort of understand the seniors wanting cosmetic surgery. There are certainly things I'd like to have tweaked. Nothing as radical as new breasts, but maybe a little chin tightening... {g}

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think we need to listen to animals more. Sounds weird but I do.

I agree with you about chronic pain. My sister believes mom shouldn't do anything. So of course she gets better when I get there. I am also in favor of alternative methods.

I never have been in favor of plastic for myself but usually whatever someone wants to them is fine for me. I just think breast ehanacements at that age (actually at any age) are unnecessary. There is to much out there about the risks of that surgery. Short of a way to emotionally recover from a masectomy I think the risk vs the reward makes it not a good choice.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Definitely we should take lessons from animals. I remember one year when we had an earthquake. Katie cat kind of predicted about two or three minutes before the earthquake the took off like a shot run as fast she could run around the house and then went down to the basement and upstairs again jumped on my lap bingo. Never acted like that before.

Not having chronic pain is a relief, wish DR, Mom, and myself were there.

Pat you are a beautiful woman although I am for what plastic surgery anyone wants to do for themselves is fine, I think you are just fine the way you are.

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks for the compliment, Bill. I think staying just the way I am, whatever that way may be from time to time, is what's in the cards, as I have neither the time, nor the desire to put myself through any kind of platic surgery. It might make me feel a little better when looking in the mirror from some angles, but really, who cares?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm elated that you are staying the way you are, that is better than most of the population!

Bill