Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Surprising.

"There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle." Alexis de Tocqueville

Today is the surprising.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/08/15/study-rude-employees-out-earn-their-nicer-colleagues/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk1%7C222029

I just can't believe this. If they are rude the customers it would cost business, if they were rude to co-workers it would create a stressful working environment, and if they were to management it would be suicide. Unless rudeness is confused with honesty. What do you think?

A lot of people think Hitler was an evil genius, I don't. I think he was an evil idiot. I admit, however, I like to watch and read stories about him. I keep trying to figure out how such a ruthless and violent man came to power. I also wonder how he avoided being killed during one of over a hundred assassination attempts. The following article tells of a surprising way to change his personality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/15/hitler-estrogen-hormone-plot_n_927281.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C86777

Do you think that if the scheme would have worked, that estrogen would have changed his personality?

Sometimes holding on to your beliefs can do harm:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/0815/for-men-culture-of-honor-can-be-deadly.aspx?xid=aol_eh-emo_18-_20110815&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%7C86578

I have never felt the need to defend my reputation. I just work hard to maintain or improve it so that my reputation won't be questioned. That kind of makes me on the outside of the surveys looking in.

Comment Away.

QUOTES:

Erica Jong was the author of yesterday's quote. "The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain." was said by a well known actress born in 1969 that once was in the Pitt and was once everyone's FREIND. Then later she had FRIENDS WITH MONEY. After several failed TV series and several bad movies she considered giving up acting. She turned down SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. Some say it was a bad decision but she made the right choice. In 2007 FORBES magazine listed her as the tenth richest woman in the entertainment industry. This young woman probably won't be having lunch or dinner with an actress named Jolie anytime soon. Can you name the author of today's quote?

5 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting quote. I agree with the party part, but which are the men of principle, I wonder? They are harder and harder to find.

I guess rude men make more because they insist (nastily) on getting more? You think? I'm not surprised that it doesn't work as well for women.

It's nice to see that both sides had crazy ideas in WWII. Would estrogen have changed Hitler's personality? I doubt it. He might have grown breasts and had a few physical changes. Would he have become sane and no longer want to rule the world? Nah.

I don't get the "culture of honor" study results. Oh, I'll concede that they may have found some connection, but they don't say how many people were studied or if there were any controls. I wouldn't doubt that such a culture is prevalent in the South and the West. But what of the North and the East? Did he not study them, or did he find them lacking in "honor"?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think it today's society, if a man or woman had principle before they ran for office they lose it when they run. To much money influence.

I do think rude men make more because they insist on it, but in the end if their rudeness cost them their job do they make more over a lifetime?

I didn't think estrogen would change his personlity at all. Unless the combined it with poison.

I also didn't get the men of culture study either. One of the things I found surprising that men fought over the repuation, fighting would help destroy their reputation, no?

Bill

Lady DR said...

Interesting articles, Bill, and surprising stats and opinions. I'm rather afraid I'm on the outside, looking in, in all three cases.

I can't imagine rudeness being a "plus" over the long term, but maybe I'm not clear on the researcher's definition of rudeness or who's practicing it. Rude to customers makes no sense. Rude to co-workers, maybe. Like stepping on backs to get up the ladder rungs, pushing ahead to garner attention?

I don't think anything would have changed Hitler. I sure didn't see any stats, reports or research that supported the idea that providing estrogen would have made him a "kinder, gentler" man.

Like you and Pat, I'm not getting the reputation article, although I live in one of the states cited and Himself is from another. Perhaps if they'd better identified/clarified "reputation" it would make more sense to me. Is it grounded in ethical behavior and integrity and honesty or are they basing it on "mine's bigger" and/or "I'm tougher." If the latter, I can sorta see where they're going, but I think they'd find the same thing in almost any area of the country where the "good ole boys" are protecting their turf and territory, particularly in rural areas and mountain villages and small towns. (Shrug)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I was stunned about the rudeness article. Knowing what the definition of rudeness was would certainly help me understand the results. Does rudeness include going behind a co-workers back to management or stealing another's idea?

I also do not think anything would have changed Hitler, if we could do history over what would need to change is us reconizing much earlier the danger he was to the world.

The thing about the reputation article is reputation really isn't how you define yourself, it is how others define you. Why fight to protect how others define you?

Bill

Lady DR said...

Excellent point about reputation being how others define you. Still, it would be interesting to know the criteria behind the findings.

Reminds me of the saying, "What others think of you is none of your business." Often true, although "reputation" can be a determining factor in many areas, from social to business.