Saturday, August 6, 2011

Relax It's Saturday

The answer to yesterday's quote was the amazing Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell.

The meeting with my friend went well. It really wasn't a serious problem, it was to him but it is easily fixable. He was really relieved. He said to me, "I don't have anybody to really tell this to that I trust. You are the only one I trust." That always shocks me when someone tells me that because my first reaction is "billboards aren't that expensive." However, it is nice to be trusted by one of the most influential men in Portland.

Today we are doing fun facts, beautiful homes, and fun dogs.

If she were still alive this would be Lucille Ball's 100TH birthday so there has been a lot of tributes to her in the newspapers. I have to confess that I was never a fan of hers. I didn't really get her humor. However, as the following article shows she was quite talented and had amazing business acumen.

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/08/05/lucille-ball-100th-birthday-i-love-lucy/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C221115

I was surprised at some of the shows she was producer of, like Star Trek and Mission Impossible.

About once a week I post a link to houses I would like to live in and here are this week's houses.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/gallery/gorgeous-private-island-homes-for-sale/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl11%7Csec1_lnk1%7C221175

My favorite is the first house pictured.

Now a story that is going to a dog.

http://www.katu.com/amnw/segments/126841893.html

Make sure you click on the link to Truman's web page. Then anytime you want to smile you can click on the link!

Comment away and then go out and have a great Saturday.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I was never a Lucy fan, either, Bill. You and I may be the only ones. I suspect she was a producer in name only (there are lots of those) on STAR TREK and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

A private island would be very nice. Assuming there was easy transport to a little civilization. With that in mind, I liked the first house best, also.

I think I've seen the skateboarding dog before. Somehow he just doesn't look the type, does he?

Lady DR said...

So glad to hear your friend's problem was one that was fixable, with a bit of talking it out. And, yes, on the trust part.

I did enjoy "I Love Lucy" and got a kick out of watching the various videos that were included in the article. Her humor was sometimes on the "warped" side, but then again, so am I (wry s).

I really have no desire to live on an island. Nine-plus years in Juneau (which was the equivalent) kind of cured me of that. Even with a private plane, landing strip and boat at the ready, "running out" for dinner or groceries is a bit of a hassle.

Like Pat, I'd seen the skate-boarding dog - a friend sent me the link to the YouTube video a couple weeks ago. The dog has to be pretty amenable to be trained to something that would scare most canines to death.

dona said...

I am glad the problem with your friend was an easy fix. I think its great to have a trustworthy friend.

Whats this about not being a fan of Lucy? OMG...I really loved her, and still watch episodes of I Love Lucy which were my favorite in the oldie TV shows. Can't believe you weren't a fan.....:)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Gosh I am in good company! I thought people would be shocked I didn't like her and the first post agreed with me.

I wouldn't mind being on an Island that had access to the mainland. My friend Mark (the one that lost his wife) lives on an Island. Vashon Island. When they worked they took the ferry to Seattle.

The dog has been on before but this time they listed a bunch of other things that he did like snowboarding, etc.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I will explain why I didn't really like Lucy when I respond to Lucy.

I think we are all a little warped that is why we get along so famously.

There are a lot of islands near Seattle. I wouldn't mind living on one of those.

The skateboarding dog is big news here in Portland because he is the featured performer at a dogs for the blind benefit. Heck the dog is doing something that scares me!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I don't like America's funniest video either. Nor did I like the movie Hangover.

Physical humor bothers me. Humor where someone falls or is covered with shaving cream or is put in a position where they could get hurt isn't my idea of humor. Prat falls, getting stuck where you can't get out, having something you are cooking going wrong, to me are cheap laughs at the expense of someone or someone getting hurt.

My favorites from that era were Red Skeleton, Henny Youngman, Victor Borge (I loved when he read a paragraph with his sound effects for commas, periods, etc.), Bob Newhart. In other areas Paula Poundstone, Rita Rudner, Wendy Leiberman.

Hope things are well with you.

Bill

I am glad the problem with your friend was an easy fix. I think its great to have a trustworthy friend.

Whats this about not being a fan of Lucy? OMG...I really loved her, and still watch episodes of I Love Lucy which were my favorite in the oldie TV shows. Can't believe you weren't a fan.....:)