Thursday, August 11, 2011

Young, Old, & Household Repairs.

This is my last day at Mom's so things will go back to abnormal tomorrow. I need a break from the reality of the news.

First up is a young one doing good:

http://www.aol.com/2011/08/02/ishaan-singh_n_915963.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk1%7C82830

Next up is an old one doing good:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/08/98-year-old-black-belt_n_921212.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl13%7Csec3_lnk1%7C84709

Last up is all of us doing good by knowing what household projects we shouldn't tackle.

http://www.diylife.com/2011/07/29/10-home-projects-you-should-never-diy/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C82744

Put the hammer down and comment away.


QUOTES

Coretta Scott King was the author of yesterday's quote. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Was said by an American cultural anthropologist, who was frequently a featured writer and speaker in the mass media throughout the 1960s and 1970s. She was born in 1901 and died in 1978. She was married three times. During World War II she served as executive secretary of the National Research Council's Committee on Food Habits. She served as curator of ethnology at the American Museum of Natural History from 1946 to 1969he . She was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1948. Have you ever wondered about people COMING OF AGE IN SAMOA? If you have you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good for that 9 year-old! Teach kids to swim early, is one of my mottoes for child-raising, at least in sunny climates like SoCA.

From calligraphy, flower arranging and tea ceremonials to a black belt in judo. That's quite a trip!

Interesting list. I would never attempt any one of those chores myself.

Lady DR said...

Great rescue from the nine-year-old. Sounds like CA needs to be a bit more watchful over apartment pools, although I'm sure the cost of lifeguards precludes such. Like Pat, I think kids need to learn to swim early, but adults need to be competent and watchful, as the best of swimmers of any age can panic (as I witnessed at the therapy pool a couple weeks ago).

Good job on the black belt for the the lady!

Like Pat, I'd not attempt any of the listed DIY projects listed and would strongly discourage Himself from doing so. The one thing the article didn't emphasize was getting recommendations and being sure all contractors are licensed and carry liability insurance. The tree removal -- there's nothing inexpensive about that around here, believe me, but it's still better done by a professional in most cases, IMHO.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wish I would have learned how to swim when I was five or six. We had at least be able to float to graduate from high school, but I think that should be swimming.

That lady was amazing.

I do change light bulbs but other than that I hire someone or my brither-in-law helps me.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Remember California's economy was so bad last year that they weren't issuing tax refunds, they were giving taxpayers vouchers instead. I have a feeling that is the reason for sans lifeguard. However, when I lived there they always had signs "nobody under 16 unless adult is present". What happened at the therapy pool?

I would like the black belt lady!

Great advise about getting recommendations and being sure all contractors are licensed and carry liability insurance.

Bill